Merchant Marine Movie!

I am a screenwriter currently in development of a studio feature set against the backdrop of the merchant marine. Think “Hangover on the High Seas.”

Would anyone be able to lay out for me in simple terms how one would get the necessary credential and join a merchant vessel? What would the first weeks and months be like assuming this is a large, ocean going ship?

As it is now, the studio is picturing something in the vein of “Stripes” where two would-be Naval enlistees are turned away from the “real” Navy and in turn join the merchant marine. Of course, hijinks ensue but our heroes ultimately learn the importance of their jobs and must save the day when a real national emergency somehow crosses their path.

Any help, anecdotes, advice would be invaluable.

Thanks!

justin

The first night often has projectile vomit. The first week usually has stiff and sore legs, lower back and sides from the up and down of stairs and the side to side of the rocking. Sleep is always bad. You can’t sleep on your side or you get rolled. After a while it goes away but the first few days are uncomfortable.

Other than the fact that it is probably easier to get into the Navy than it is to get a berth on an ocean going US Flag merchant ship, yeah. Go with it. Oh, and don’t forget the barrel.

“… two would-be Naval enlistees are turned away from the “real” Navy and in turn join the merchant marine.”

Hmmmmph, your premise is flawed and insulting. Like cmakin wrote, it’s much more likely the other way around. Unless it’s a repeat of the first Gulf War the standards of the blue water merchant fleet pretty much close the gangway to your average swabbie.

If you want to make a “Stripes” type of film, base it on the adventures of a couple of cadets in the old days when ships were in port long enough to even walk on the dock. Go talk to some of the Lykes Lines oldtimers who sailed the South American runs. Any one of their round S. American runs was a movie script in itself.

assuming this is a large, ocean going ship?

Must be a Foreign Film…

Interesting, can you expand on that? As to why it’s so difficult to get these jobs? I guess it does make sense that the armed forces would take most anything while the much sought after private sector jobs are tough to land.

For example, one of the characters is said to be rejected from the Navy because he used to take and ADD medication like Ritalin. Would such a drug history prohibit someone from becoming a mariner?

I think the thought process from the studio perspective was that they wanted to avoid a “military” movie so this approach was a logical step…

[QUOTE=Steamer;54477]Unless it’s a repeat of the first Gulf War the standards of the blue water merchant fleet pretty much close the gangway to your average swabbie.

If you want to make a “Stripes” type of film, base it on the adventures of a couple of cadets in the old days when ships were in port long enough to even walk on the dock. Go talk to some of the Lykes Lines oldtimers who sailed the South American runs. Any one of their round S. American runs was a movie script in itself.[/QUOTE]

They are insisting that it not be a period film although I do like your take on the Lykes Lines approach.

What do you mean “unless it’s a repeat of the first Gulf War?”

[QUOTE=faulenzen;54480]What do you mean “unless it’s a repeat of the first Gulf War?”[/QUOTE]

Our far sighted politicians had allowed the US merchant fleet to sink to such a low that there were not enough mariners to man the ships we needed to haul military cargo to the Gulf. We combed the bars and flophouses for the nautical equivalent of street-people to crew the ships. It was sad but kind of funny in some ways.

Nobody in the US knows enough about ships and shipping to realize that a film based on a couple of young guys working on a “stick ship” around S. America is a period piece. Very few would recognize a containership anyway and those who did would know that any scenes shot on the beach had to be fake because the crew never gets off long enough to take the journey to the nearest town, much less do anything once they got there.

I think he is saying film it inn modern day but bar it on the old style ship from stories from old timers. Ships that were actually in port long enough for you to get shore leave.

It won’t keep you out of the merchant marine but I doubt it would keep you out if the navy either…

This movie sounds more like a take off of ‘Down Periscope’

Can I play the crusty old Second Mate? I have a scar on my face!

The Navy demands High School graduates (or GED).
The Merchant service doesn’t care.

Wow… I see navy for me is outta tha ???.. I’m having problems getting into the merchant service as entry-level…

The Navy also demands people be fit. We have disgusting fat-bodies and old folk.

In answer to your first question:

You’d need:
TWIC, (Transportation Workers Identity Card)…this requires a Department of Homeland Security background check.
No outstanding warrants, probation or court proceedings, no uncompleted DUI related classes
Department of Transportation Drug Screen
US Coast Guard Physical
Merchant Mariners Credential
A one week Basic Safety Training course

It could possibly be done in 2 or 3 weeks (but almost always takes longer) and costs a bit more than $1,000.

The idea of just wanting to disappear and sail over the horizon isn’t a real option.

Just watch “Lakeboat”…

You’re writing a movie, while having some basis in fact is good, too much can be boring and hinder proper plot development.

What about cruise ships? The largest ship in merchant service may only have 30 crew, which limits characters…

How about two King’s Pointers academy kids get kicked out for misconduct and need to make some money… they have their basic merchant marine creds at that point… could get hired on as a deckhand or cruise ship crew with just an MMD, and the safety course…

That way you can have some tail, people are generally more familiar with cruises than tankers or ro-ros…

Thankz I have my twic an merchant credetials an I’m going for my safety now… Hopefully I could join a union an get some seatime…

That’s my old bosun exactly. Well, except he was just one person.

Don’t listen to the distracters… plenty of navy rejects (and excons, ex-druggies, ex-everything) working aboard ships.

[QUOTE=faulenzen;54471]Any help, anecdotes, advice would be invaluable.[/QUOTE]

Anecdotes? Well that’s one thing mariners have an endless supply of… got a pen and a few reams of paper? If not just give John a call, he’ll be able to pull up some gems from the gCaptain archive and pitch a few stories of his own. Just don’t believe anything he says about [I]me[/I].