Becoming a merchant marine

Hello Gentlemen,

I was wondering if you you guys can help me?

Im considering a career as a merchant marine, looking to make a career change from my current career. First thing is I am 45 years old, what’s the reality of me actually getting a job after I acquire my credentials? I do have navy time on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, I’m in great shape and understand the hours and time involved int he position.

Thank You!

1st, it’s Merchant Mariner.
2nd, the search function on the forum is your friend, this thread was just discussed this past week: http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-employment/10644-start-maritime-career.html
3rd, Happy New Year

Jeffrox my son…you have learned well from the master. He is most pleased!

Now herr Kojac, what the FUCK does working on the deck of an aircraft carrier have to do with qualifying you for working on a merchant or work vessel and who the eff cares about what “shape” you are in? Is it triangular, oval or are you a rhomboid?

[QUOTE=c.captain;92655]Jeffrox…you have learned well from the master. He is pleased!

Now what the FUCK does working on the deck of an aircraft carrier have to do with qualifying you for working on a merchant or work vessel and who the eff cares about what “shape” you are in? If is triangular, oval or are you a rhomboid?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I do believe Mr Kosar will no longer be answering your questions, c.captain.

[QUOTE=Capt Carl;92662]Hmmm, I do believe Mr Kosar will no longer be answering your questions, c.captain.[/QUOTE]

tell me please…is it my bad breath?

[QUOTE=c.captain;92663]tell me please…is it my bad breath?[/QUOTE]

Why, of course, you and those GD anchovy pizzas.
Barf-a-roo ~

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;92669]Why, of course, you and those GD anchovy pizzas.
Barf-a-roo ~[/QUOTE]

they’re not anchovies my good man…those are raw herrings!

makes my breath smell like the bilge of an old wooden purse seiner!

More like a shit house door on a tuna boat.

[QUOTE=Clear Solution;92744]More like a shit house door on a tuna boat.[/QUOTE]

not tuna but a squidboat or better yet a pogieboat!

[QUOTE=Kosar;92616]I was wondering if you you guys can help me? [/QUOTE]

missed this one earlier…who the fuck are “you you guys”? Some K-pop group? That’s all we need in this world is more Gangnam Style diarrhea!

//youtu.be/mDpgzn7KuzE

sorry…

not really! I like the girls…

Pogie boat wins… Nastiest thing afloat I have came across - other than a half rotten body.

[QUOTE=c.captain;92748]missed this one earlier…who the fuck are “you you guys”? Some K-pop group? That’s all we need in this world is more Gangnam Style diarrhea
sorry…

not really! I like the girls…[/QUOTE]

We certainly need more videos like that.

Dissing that vid - hell, you may as well surrender your man card immediately. Those girls were HOT.

Those stinkwater boats come in a close second

You can smell Reedville half way across the bay if the wind blows right.

I think Reedville smells downright pleasant compared to what it used to smell like. I remember when I was young and both factories were running with lower stacks, the stench hung in the air like a cloud. I can hardly even smell it anymore. But, we were so used to it it never bothered us anyways…