Merchant Marine Movie!

[QUOTE=Steamer;54477]"… Go talk to some of the Lykes Lines oldtimers who sailed the South American runs. Any one of their round S. American runs was a movie script in itself.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. Brings back all manner of memories of excellent engineering and unparalleled debauchery.

I don’t know much at all about large ships, but I can tell you about tug boating. Most of the tugs I’ve worked on had plenty of time ashore. One such trip ended with a deckhand, one with important relatives, staggering back on the boat missing a few teeth. Lot’s of clean fun in various ports. If you are looking for real life shenanigans then I would recommend calling Smith Maritime in Green Cove Springs, FL. Nothing over the top, but they operate in a good old fashioned way. :slight_smile:

If you can, find the book “Steaming to Bamboola” by Christopher Buckley and read it in one sitting. Absolutely everything you want to know about the US Merchant Marine is right there.

Three Star Fix isn’t a bad read, either.

Big Oil- Rise of the Cajun mariner. Is a good read too specially if you work in the GOM.