Medical Marijuana?

Pot has no place in the industry. You’ll hear old timers talking about “back in the day”, but things have changed and safety regulations have skyrocketed. Other people have mentioned that the condition that required the weed could disqualify you, and that’s very true. As for coming up with an ailment to qualify for a prescription, as many people do, and I’m not saying you have done this, that is also unacceptable. I know I don’t want someone that is “working the system” at the helm while I sleep.

I remember at my last company they sent out a statement about the state of Washington legalizing marijuana. In the letter it stated that company policy was to remain ZERO TOLERANCE despite the new law.

You are talking state vs fed law. I would think that federal would trump state in this instance. Plus, individual companies can set their own medical standards as long as they are more and not less lenient.

You will fall under DOT regs for drug testing. It doesn’t matter if you have a state legal prescription. Federally it is illegal for us to use marijuana. That being said there is no law saying you cant have a prescription . You just cant smoke it period. CMA does test just like most companies.

You can still get any of those prescription drugs. You just can’t use them if you’re working. I know a number of people who’s USCG physical have been approved even with disclosing Adderal (Amphetamine) even though its a schedule 2 narcotic. Like I said though you’re not allowed to use it while working.

Pot on the other hand is totally illegal to use. Even if your state legalized it doesn’t mean that any federal laws were nullified. And you do get drug tested while in school, randomly.

No one is really answering this guy’s question. He seems quite clear. He isn’t using currently marijuana, and doesn’t plan to. However he has a medical record that includes information indicating that he has probably/logically used in the past.

Seems to me that the fact he has a medical prescription is just confusing him/others. The feds have no interest in the question of the prescription. What they have is interest in his use of (federally) illegal drugs. What it comes down to, is that question on his license application:

“Have you ever been a user of/or addicted to a dangerous drug, including marijuana?”

For this guy, the answer will be yes. And he will have to write a statement explaining himself. I don’t know what kind of response the coast guard has for folks that admit to using pot on their license application, but some discussion of that would probably be more helpful to this guy.

And, after a quick search, here is the ever helpful Mr. Cavo’s answer to a similar question:

"If an applicant has one or more alcohol or dangerous drug related criminal or NDR-listed convictions, [B]if the applicant has ever been the user of,[/B] or addicted to the use of, a dangerous drug, or if the applicant applies before the minimum assessment period has elapsed for his or her conviction, the Coast Guard may consider the following factors, as applicable, in assessing the applicant’s suitability to hold an MMC. This list is intended as a guide for the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard may consider other factors appropriate to a particular applicant, such as:

(1) Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;

(2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous;

(3) Character references from persons who can attest to the applicant’s sobriety, reliability, and suitability for employment in the merchant marine including parole or probation officers;

(4) Steady employment; and

(5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or probation. "

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/medical/colorbox/top_10_conditions/pdfs/medications.pdf

Read it carefully…between the lines if you will. As I’ve said, good luck in medical review. Also, most of the major players in the GoM will not allow these meds even if the coast guard gives you a waiver. Fired on the spot if you lie and get caught. Might want to tell your friend to rethink his treatment options.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;110483]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/medical/colorbox/top_10_conditions/pdfs/medications.pdf

Read it carefully…between the lines if you will. As I’ve said, good luck in medical review. Also, most of the major players in the GoM will not allow these meds even if the coast guard gives you a waiver. Fired on the spot if you lie and get caught. Might want to tell your friend to rethink his treatment options.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

It should be no surprise that Adderall is rampant on college campuses and the maritime academys. It is such a huge study aid allowing all night cram sessions. For some reason (wink, wink) the academy does not schedule random drug tests during finals week. They know what’s going on.

It sounds like if you have a legitimate need (mild ADD) you are better off purchasing Adderall illegally, than going to a doctor and getting a prescription and havig it on your medical record.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;110496]Interesting.

It should be no surprise that Adderall is rampant on college campuses and the maritime academys. It is such a huge study aid allowing all night cram sessions. For some reason (wink, wink) the academy does not schedule random drug tests during finals week. They know what’s going on.

It sounds like if you have a legitimate need (mild ADD) you are better off purchasing Adderall illegally, than going to a doctor and getting a prescription.[/QUOTE]

Well, if that’s the unofficial academy policy, they are not doing their students a favor. Everyone they go to work for after school uses at minimum the DOT-5 panel drug screen, often at random, and little Jane or Johnny Adderall will be in for a rude awakening when they pop for amphetamines.

[QUOTE=catherder;110497]Well, if that’s the unofficial academy policy, they are not doing their students a favor. Everyone they go to work for after school uses at minimum the DOT-5 panel drug screen, often at random, and little Jane or Johnny Adderall will be in for a rude awakening when they pop for amphetamines.[/QUOTE]

Well Ms Herder, I doubt many of these users will ever need need to study at the same level of intensity as they did at the academy, Most use is limited to finals week.

In other words, they’ll never touch the stuff again after graduation.

Just write to Obama. He Inhailed and enjoined it. He’ll get you a waiver.

Lets say that you get a waiver and clear the C/G physical , the company I work at has a ZERO tolerance policy as I’am sure all the other maritime company’s do so its a mute point. You can’t have alcohol or drugs in your system when on company property, if you do and fail a test you are done. It’s even in our union contract, not to mention our RCP. So like I said its a mute point.

*Moot. And the original poster said very clearly no weed during school or after. The issue is the CG license. So company policies are a moot point in this discussion.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;110483] Might want to tell your friend to rethink his treatment options.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm…did you know that Ritalin is not an amphetemine, doesn’t show up positive on a drug test and provides similar benefit as Adderall?

I learn the most interesting things reading this forum.

It does show up positive for amphetamines

Back in my day it was No-Doz and coffee. You guys are too high tech for me.

Yes a moot point, and when the poster joins the work force he/she will have to deal with the policies at the outfit they work for. So if you can stop for school I’m guessing you can stop using for employment . So I guess it’s a moot point.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;110410]The prohibition is against illegal use of drugs. We have kids at our academy that have a script for Adderall which is an amphetimine, pain meds such and codine and other class 2 pharma without a problem. Even with random drug testing, as long as you have a script, your fine…[/QUOTE]

Chronic use of benzodiazepines or narcotic pain releivers is disqualifying even if they are legitimately prescribed.

[QUOTE=skycowboy;110559]It does show up positive for amphetamines[/QUOTE]

Ritalin is not a amphetamine, it’s a methylphenidate.