USCG Medical Conditions: Adderal

In a topic about medical marijuana, the discussion of use of prescription narcotics came up.

I was under the impression that, while you could pass a physical with stuff like Adderal on your record as currently prescribed, currently using any narcotic medications while operating, or working aboard a vessel, would be against regs. Am I wrong?

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;110649]In a topic about medical marijuana, the discussion of use of prescription narcotics came up.

I was under the impression that, while you could pass a physical with stuff like Adderal on your record as currently prescribed, currently using any narcotic medications while operating, or working aboard a vessel, would be against regs. Am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

Stop now! Ypur fukckin rtarded!

I believe what TXIMR is saying is the topic of psychotropic medication is too divisive an issue to garner a proper vetting from this group of crusty mariners.

As indicated in the other thread, many posters felt such “aids” have no place anywhere in maritime academys or the industry while a minority felt if used under appropriate doctors supervision, it is completely safe and effective.

Bottom line, this is a medical question and none of us are doctors.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;110649]In a topic about medical marijuana, the discussion of use of prescription narcotics came up.

I was under the impression that, while you could pass a physical with stuff like Adderal on your record as currently prescribed, currently using any narcotic medications while operating, or working aboard a vessel, would be against regs. Am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

See NVIC 04-08.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;110765]See NVIC 04-08.[/QUOTE]

So according to this, prescription use of adderal is allowable only off the ship and prior to 48 hours of boarding it without a waiver? What’s the likelihood of a waiver being granted vs a license renewal/upgrade being denied? Do you need to inform the Coast Guard or Company of this only at home use if you have a prescription? What happens if you fail a drug test coming onto a vessel but have the prescription?

As a mariner with a prior prescription in my younger years, my quality of life was much higher when I had this medication. Now I’m too scared of losing my livelihood to have a better quality of life.

So according to this, prescription use of adderal is allowable only off the ship and prior to 48 hours of boarding it without a waiver? What’s the likelihood of a waiver being granted vs a license renewal/upgrade being denied? Do you need to inform the Coast Guard or Company of this only at home use if you have a prescription? What happens if you fail a drug test coming onto a vessel but have the prescription?

As a mariner with a prior prescription in my younger years, my quality of life was much higher when I had this medication. Now I’m too scared of losing my livelihood to have a better quality of life.

Just renewed license(Master 1600/6000ITC) w/ Adderal perscription. It is not mentioned on my license, but CG has documentation of diagnosis of ADD & Drs perscription for Adderal. I have also notified my company of this. As long as I have all of the necessary documentation, a drug-screen should not be a problem. I did have to sign a Medical Waiver for the CG.