Getting and original MMC 100ton with ADD?

Hello I am wondering of on the 719k if ADD is a medical disqualification? Or is it like military where you can get a waiver? Or is there no issue with that?

Thankyou very much for your responses

Since working on a commercial vessel requires you to do ten things at once, drop what you are doing to do something else all while talking on the radio and running the vessel you should fit right in. But in all seriousness there is no specific box on the 719k that mentions ADD and I have had crew who took addarall (so?) and riddalen (again sp?) and there wasn’t any problem. It does ask that you disclose any medical issues you have so to be on the safe side you should put it under the section marked “Other”…

[QUOTE=iwantaj20;167413]Hello I am wondering of on the 719k if ADD is a medical disqualification? Or is it like military where you can get a waiver? Or is there no issue with that?

Thankyou very much for your responses[/QUOTE]

Waivers are possible, and will depend on your specific circumstances. See page 28 of Enclosure (3) of NVIC 04-08. You will need to provide the information described when you apply.

I’ve worked in the boat field since 2007 on numerous vessels and civilian side and military side. Its all I know more or less. But I may get diagnosed with ADD at some point soon BC of paying attention to some things. However as a deckhand and an unlicensed mate add never affected my job like you said probably helps it.

Anyone else know of any captains out there with add that still have their mmc? Or if its no big deal like the military makes it out to be? I’d hate to doom my future by disqualifying myself from getting an mmc

My understanding is you cannot be issued an MMC if you take certain drugs to control the ADD, like Adderall or Ritalin.

I have had several crewmembers who take adderall or rittelin and as long as they’ve had the proper amount for their anticipated time onboard, the company hasn’t had an issue. The previous posts are correct, you have to be very forthright with the coast guard when applying for your original document. I will also caution that both of those drugs will cause a false positive on a drug test and I have personally had to give a mate his walking papers until the whole thing could be straightened out. Again, if the coast guard has no record of your medical issue this can be a bit of a pickle so be honest.

don’t get diagnosed with anything. Problem solved.

[QUOTE=iwantaj20;167413]Hello I am wondering of on the 719k if ADD is a medical disqualification? Or is it like military where you can get a waiver? Or is there no issue with that?

Thankyou very much for your responses[/QUOTE]

Not a problem. I am prescribed adderall and all I needed was a waiver from my doctor. He just stated I am NOT DEPENDANT on it to my job and am fit for duty. I had a prescription when I was in middle school and I take it if I need to stay up or a little help when studying for tests or anything. It really comes in handy when I drive to the boat for crew change (12 hours each way)…

You have nothing to worry about. Unless it’s in your system when you take your drug test I wouldn’t even bring it up

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid, but since I have been 16 I haven’t touched a pill. I still have all the same symptoms and the same problems as when I was in school, but it doesn’t affect me. I have contacted the CG as I am working on my AB paperwork now, and they told me as long as I am on no medication I am in the clear, but would need some type of paperwork if I was on meds. As far as day to day work, it does not affect me at all. If anything I truly believe it helps me…

1 Like

Though the USCG may not care if you get a waiver the company you work for may. Adderall is an easily abused drug and is nothing but a legal version of amphetamine. People have been fired for using Adderall. I thought ADD went away past puberty. I don’t know anyone over 30 on Adderall.

I sailed on a container ship with an Electrician who told me he had been diagnosed with ADD as a kid. I was 2nd mate so some nights on the 00-04 in port loading reefers we’d be the only two working on deck. He was always in a good mood and we’d both have a good laugh whenever we crossed paths.

The issue was tying up on the bow. It was a 900 foot ship with steel wire for mooring. Very powerful winches. He was assigned the job of running the winch. Sometimes I’d give him a signal and no response. When I turned around to see why he’d be watching some action across the way or something. I took him aside one day and told him I was going to tell him when to start paying attention and, also important, when to stop. So as we were coming alongside, just before the heaving lines flew I’d yell “OK, Showtime!”. When we were all fast I’d go up to him and say “All right, shows’ over” After that he ran the winch perfect. It wasn’t just him though, I think marking the start and end of the “show” helped the whole forward crew.

[QUOTE=Colston1285;168002]Not a problem. I am prescribed adderall and all I needed was a waiver from my doctor. He just stated I am NOT DEPENDANT on it to my job and am fit for duty. I had a prescription when I was in middle school and I take it if I need to stay up or a little help when studying for tests or anything. It really comes in handy when I drive to the boat for crew change (12 hours each way)…

You have nothing to worry about. Unless it’s in your system when you take your drug test I wouldn’t even bring it up[/QUOTE]

Okay so the key is if the Doctor decides that’s what will help me. Just not to where I’m dependant on it to do my job, which I’m not dependent on it; at work I’m focused every time we tow something stern or hip or what ever the task is. Just might help with sitting down and studying for the board and general studies and paying attention to what my wife tells me. Since I already had it when I was in middle school so I guess you never really get rid of add I’m 26.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;168012]Though the USCG may not care if you get a waiver the company you work for may. Adderall is an easily abused drug and is nothing but a legal version of amphetamine. People have been fired for using Adderall. I thought ADD went away past puberty. I don’t know anyone over 30 on Adderall.[/QUOTE]

But you can’t get fired from a job if your prescribed a medication from your doctor. I’ve never abused drugs and I know I never will.

[QUOTE=iwantaj20;168021]But you can’t get fired from a job if your prescribed a medication from your doctor. I’ve never abused drugs and I know I never will.[/QUOTE]

At some jobs you can be fired for any reason or no reason. This is called, apparently without irony, “right to work”

Adderall is on the No-fly list at my company. I had legit prescription from my doctor and had taken it for years, it really helped me focus. But it’s a no go. I do without. It would have really helped with my USCG exams. Put it down if you want to work offshore, it’s just the way it is

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;168022]At some jobs you can be fired for any reason or no reason. This is called, apparently without irony, “right to work”[/QUOTE]

Employment At Will.

Right to work pertains to union membership.

To the OP:

When filling out the form for the physical, you have to identify any medication you are on. You may have to obtain documentation from your doctor(s) that your condition is well controlled and will not present a problem in the work environment.

[QUOTE=catherder;168082]Employment At Will.

Right to work pertains to union membership.[/QUOTE]

My point was that the post was naive.

The term “right to work” taken literally implies that a person has the right to work. It seems reasonable to assume that means that they can not be fired for reasons not related to job performance.