Medical Marijuana?

I plan to attended a maritime academy in the next 5 years and currently hold a medical marijuana card. Im wondering if this will stop me from obtaining a coast guard license in the future. Of course I wont be using marijuana while at the academy or after.

Could this be a priblem?

[QUOTE=Calii;110315]I plan to attended a maritime academy in the next 5 years and currently hold a medical marijuana card. Im wondering if this will stop me from obtaining a coast guard license in the future. Of course I wont be using marijuana while at the academy or after.

Could this be a priblem?[/QUOTE]

Really? Are you high?

You must attest under penalty of perjury that you are not a drug user. Having a weed card makes it hard to say you are not.

You have a medical marijuana card for medical use of marijuana, because of some need. But magically when you go to the school you won’t be needing it anymore??? Really!!!

You could always be a San Francisco bar pilot…

Seriously, not a good career plan. As said above, if you have a weed card for a real medical condition, that may be a disqualifier, so discuss the situation with your doc. You can’t use weed in this industry, either.

Why do they call it “dope” anyway…

You don’t have a addiction, you have a prescription?.!.?. Seriously some state laws have changed lately but when it comes to the FEDs its no-go. you’ll have to get your priorities straight, and if it is for a medical issue you’ll most likely not pass the C/G physical. In the mean time I’am starting to get the munchies LOL.

[QUOTE=Calii;110315]I plan to attended a maritime academy in the next 5 years and currently hold a medical marijuana card. Im wondering if this will stop me from obtaining a coast guard license in the future. Of course I wont be using marijuana while at the academy or after.

Switch from weed to mushrooms.

Not so fast guys.

The prohibition is against illegal use of drugs. We have kids at our academy that have a script for Adderall which is an amphetimine, pain meds such and codine and other class 2 pharma without a problem. Even with random drug testing, as long as you have a script, your fine.

If you live in CA and want to enter Casual Maritime, I am sure they will let you in.

Now the problem is when you graduate and are looking for a job. Can you get hired? Might be difficult even if the ADA prohibits discrimination.

[QUOTE=Calii;110315]

YES !!!

Even with a prescription you will not get your documents from the NMC. People get away with it because they do not disclose the information to the USCG and have not had an accident yet.

The prohibition is against illegal use of drugs. We have kids at our academy that have a script for Adderall which is an amphetimine, pain meds such and codine and other class 2 pharma without a problem. Even with random drug testing, as long as you have a script, your fine.

If you live in CA and want to enter Casual Maritime, I am sure they will let you in.

The problem is when you graduate and are looking for a job. Can you get hired? Certainly not for a Federal job.

[QUOTE=ElCapitan;110409]Even with a prescription you will not get your documents from the NMC. People get away with it because they do not disclose the information to the USCG and have not had an accident yet.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I can’t imagine legitimate use of all potentially abused pharma is a automatic disqualifer for shipping papers. Let’s say someone had a car accident and the doc put them on morphine for a few days to ease pain.

Weed is different animal though as the Feds still consider it a class 1 drug right up there with heroin. Even though some states feel it has legitimate therapudic value and permit its use the Feds can charge you with criminal possession regardless of state policy.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;110410]The prohibition is against illegal use of drugs. We have kids at our academy that have a script for Adderall which is an amphetimine, pain meds such and codine and other class 2 pharma without a problem. Even with random drug testing, as long as you have a script, your fine.

The problem is when you graduate and are looking for a job. Can you get hired? Certainly not for a Federal job.[/QUOTE]

The problem will come after graduation when their app has to go through medical review. Those are all on the USCG no no list. Good luck to those young men…

To the original poster, your answer is here:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/policy_letters/nvic/pdfs/NVIC_4_08_with_enclosures.pdf#page=21

Go to page 4 of enclosure 4. Sorry Dude, you are hosed. There are NO waivers granted for medicinal pot even if legal in your state.

Regarding all other medications. As long as you were under a doctors supervision and the medication/ailment DO NOT impede you ability to perform your work, you can be granted a waiver and allowed to work.

Are you concerned that the state medical marijuana database will be subject to federal scrutiny, much like NDR?

They drug test at CMA always was ZERO TOLERANCE regardless.

[QUOTE=rshrew;110419]They drug test at CMA always was ZERO TOLERANCE regardless.[/QUOTE]

OK then.

Calii - looks like your lifes calling is in another field.

General USCG policy is that ANY antidepressant, anti anxiety, amphetamine, barbiturate, pain killer or sleep aid DOES impede your ability to work safely. They have a list of such meds on the NMC site. Beyond that, most companies will not allow you to bring such meds to work and I have seen several people fired for having meds with a script that they did not disclose to the company(aderol
Being a big one with the younger guys)

Best case scenario is the medical review board…good luck there.

I posted the NMC link a few posts up and did not see a list of meds.

Do you have another link with the list?