Math and physics for the naval career of EO or ETO

In my highschool I learned higher mathematics(calculus) and a advanced theory class in physics with particles.Do you need a lot of physics and math to become an EO(electrical officer) or ETO? I looked in google about the requirements to become an ETO and they didn’t mention anything about the chapters of physics involved like electricity,thermodynamis,mechanics,etc.
Can someone from here enlight me about what an EO or ETO needs?Google didn’t gave me a lot of answers to my questions.

You sound like you’re already ahead of the curve. Algebra helps, being able to read charts/graphs is important. Being able to read technical documentation and apply it to your particular situation is important also. My experience as an electronics technician on drill ships and as a Marine engineer has been that most of the design work and complicated math has been done already been done. Our job is mostly understanding how the quipment is supposed to be working and seeing if there is a difference from how it is actually working. An introductory programming course would probably help also as well as an understanding of computers and networking. All the equipment talks to each other now. There are PLCs everywhere too but it might be hard to get into them without access to equipment.

NVIC 23-14.

So that means you won’t use derivatives(dy/dx) and integrals in the physics chapter of electricity when you will works as an EO or ETO?I’m asking this because I had a physics book with calculus included and I didn;t know if I was gonna use it in this career.
For example: I saw the formula of electrostatics about how to charges attract,F=kqQ/r^2 and I believed that you needed calculus or something advanced to understand how the charges flow in a circuit.

But don’t you need to understand higher knowledge of DC and AC in order to work with the electrical/electronical equipment that involves calculus? This is the part where I am confused.

Likely no. You won’t be designing new systems or components. You’ll be troubleshooting existing systems and swapping boxes. Generator loading will probably be the most complicated math you’ll do, and that doesn’t require calculus.

Mr Cavo, knowing that you work for NMC, you probably have the correct answers regarding ETO.

I’ve inquired about receiving the ETO endorsement, and have been told by NMC to inquire with the training facilities whether the courses fulfill the requirement. I’ve talked to a couple of training facilities (MAMA, TRL, Calhoon) and they refer me back to NMC to double check if their course meets NMC’s requirement.

My question is: Is there a list of training courses (and the training facility that provides them) anywhere? My suspicion is that the US in general is behind the curve with the ETO STCW endorsement, and both NMC and the training facilities don’t really know how to provide training/endorsement for it? 75% of the “ETO’s” of met have come from the service, one or two coming from civilian world with a basic electronic’s associate’s degree from your local community college, and lastly a few with no formal training in electronic’s, but electricians who have completed OJT. None of them have had the ETO endorsement on their MMC (only QMED) and only some were vaguely aware of it.

I have not worked at NMC for 10 years.

There is a list of courses here, but it’s not particularly easy to use. It’s almost 1,000 pages, organized by school. You’ll probably need to search it by course name tio find any for ETO.

The scarcity of courses is likely due ETO and ETR not being mandatory positions, no vessel is required to carry someone holding those endorsements. This is likely also why the ETOs you’ve encountered don’t have the endorsement.

1 Like

Thanks.One last question. Do you require the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics to work as an EO or ETO? Like Carnot cycle,gas laws,PVT relationships,etc?

Wolly: Have you looked seriously at Navy ROTC or maritime academies? If not, you should. Why not get your EE/mechanical engineering degree for free plus all the great things that accompany a commission/USCG license? It sounds like you have the interest and aptitude for it.

Going straight from high school to unlicensed mariner seems like it would stall your forward progress and maybe bore you.

1 Like