Master's derees

I’m at the very early stages of considering a graduate degree, as is the bigshot corporate wife. Obviously some type of business, for both of us. We live in New England with no shortage of top notch schools within commuting distance, but who the hell can quit sailing (or her working in management) to do that? For any financial upside, I doubt it would make up for what we’d lose in the 4-5 years of income loss while we both get degrees, considering what we both make now.

Any mariners have experience with online master’s degree programs? Only interested in not-for-profit accredited degrees, Ideally from public institutions. Has anyone done this, or know anyone who has while sailing? I work tugs on the east coast, so I’m very rarely out of cell data range and usually find myself with at least 2 awaken hours a day to kill off watch.

I’ve looked at the Mass Maritime one (more for engineers) although emergency management could work although not MBA, and Maine (online) but that’s more of an MS vs MBA too.

So…Who has experience with a Master’s degree? Not something I absolutely need, however want to seriously consider and weigh my options. I have aspirations/goals for sailing that I have been doing my part towards reaching, however not everything is within my control, so if it doesn’t work out, I’d like options for moving up in the long term.

[QUOTE=z-drive;154761]I’m at the very early stages of considering a graduate degree, as is the bigshot corporate wife. Obviously some type of business, for both of us. We live in New England with no shortage of top notch schools within commuting distance, but who the hell can quit sailing (or her working in management) to do that? For any financial upside, I doubt it would make up for what we’d lose in the 4-5 years of income loss while we both get degrees, considering what we both make now.

Any mariners have experience with online master’s degree programs? Only interested in not-for-profit accredited degrees, Ideally from public institutions. Has anyone done this, or know anyone who has while sailing? I work tugs on the east coast, so I’m very rarely out of cell data range and usually find myself with at least 2 awaken hours a day to kill off watch.

I’ve looked at the Mass Maritime one (more for engineers) although emergency management could work although not MBA, and Maine (online) but that’s more of an MS vs MBA too.

So…Who has experience with a Master’s degree? Not something I absolutely need, however want to seriously consider and weigh my options. I have aspirations/goals for sailing that I have been doing my part towards reaching, however not everything is within my control, so if it doesn’t work out, I’d like options for moving up in the long term.[/QUOTE]

I got a master’s in maritime mangement from Miane Maritime while still sailing back when it was a modular program with courses running for one month instead of full semesters. While I only looked for work ashore for about a year before going to law school, it seemed that it didn’t get me interviews or offers that I couldn’t have gotten on my sailing experience alone. If you are looking fore work outside of something with direct involvement in vessel operations, you might have different results.