Masters

Good day,
I am 3rd engineer currently working on container vessels.
I am planning to do management Masters in the same field, I have a general query regarding the best college to do the same.
My options are SUNY maritime-international transport management
Maine Maritime Academy-Loeb-Sullivan School of international business and logistics.
Basically i would like to get a shore job in a good company.
Kindly help me out regarding the job placements and if anyone perusing the same course or done with the course would provide a big healthy information.
thank you

From your post, I’m guessing that you are not a native English speaker. If so, that could hurt in any American grad school, especially with the writing.

As to specific advantages, nobody will be able to tell you. I can tell you that, maybe 4 years or so ago, a SUNY Maritime engineering grad who’s CEO of a very large American manufacturing company, came to the school for an address/meeting with seniors. His advice about grad studies was to work for a few years after graduation and then pursue an MBA from a reputable school. A specialized grad degree limits your employment chances to a specific field. An MBA provides more options.

You should look up the websites of major shipping and shipping related companies. Often you’ll find information about the senior management, with brief bios. See if you can find any with a grad degree from one of the Maritime schools. I don’t think you’ll find much.

[QUOTE=Rich Bogad;162033]From your post, I’m guessing that you are not a native English speaker. If so, that could hurt in any American grad school, especially with the writing.

As to specific advantages, nobody will be able to tell you. I can tell you that, maybe 4 years or so ago, a SUNY Maritime engineering grad who’s CEO of a very large American manufacturing company, came to the school for an address/meeting with seniors. His advice about grad studies was to work for a few years after graduation and then pursue an MBA from a reputable school. A specialized grad degree limits your employment chances to a specific field. An MBA provides more options.

You should look up the websites of major shipping and shipping related companies. Often you’ll find information about the senior management, with brief bios. See if you can find any with a grad degree from one of the Maritime schools. I don’t think you’ll find much.[/QUOTE]

I agree get an MBA from a reputable school. Stay away from the Masters at the maritime schools.

What is your bachelors degree in? Some kids I graduated with at Maine went on to get their masters there and are doing very well. Today’s day and age it doesn’t really matter where you get your degree from, unless maybe it’s an Ivy League school, as long as you have it and are capable of doing the job. I know another guy who went to a shitty state school and is now a senior manager at Netflix so really the school doesn’t mean much. If you want to stay in this industry and go to a maritime school it can either help you or hurt you depending on where the guy interviewing you went. I’d try to find one that fits your needs best. Best price, location, etc.

[QUOTE=Rich Bogad;162033]From your post, I’m guessing that you are not a native English speaker. If so, that could hurt in any American grad school, especially with the writing.

You should look up the websites of major shipping and shipping related companies. Often you’ll find information about the senior management, with brief bios. See if you can find any with a grad degree from one of the Maritime schools. I don’t think you’ll find much.[/QUOTE]
You seem to assume the poster wants to work in the U.S. That they may not be a native English speaker would suggest this may not be the case. The perception of the MS degree vs. that of an MBA may not be the same outside of the U.S. The program at Maine attracts a large number of foreign students, that it has done so since its inception in the 80s suggests that the degree may have some value overseas. It may be that foreign vessel operators and logistics companies value the MBA less and a specialized background more than do American companies.

Basically what i wanted was the situation about the job employments after completing the course. If someone knows somebody or have been there in person,
that could help me to get a clear picture. In many post i read that students went back to sailing after doing their MS degree. If so then it would be useless for me to take that amount of loan for studies if eventually i have to go back to sail. If the recruitment is healthy then its completely worth taking the risk.

[QUOTE=Zep;162046]What is your bachelors degree in? Some kids I graduated with at Maine went on to get their masters there and are doing very well. Today’s day and age it doesn’t really matter where you get your degree from, unless maybe it’s an Ivy League school, as long as you have it and are capable of doing the job. I know another guy who went to a shitty state school and is now a senior manager at Netflix so really the school doesn’t mean much. If you want to stay in this industry and go to a maritime school it can either help you or hurt you depending on where the guy interviewing you went. I’d try to find one that fits your needs best. Best price, location, etc.[/QUOTE]

I have B.E marine engineering degree. I have considered about MBA courses but i find masters better because firstly its in the same field as what i have learnt from the school and experiences. So rather than starting all over in MBA you can learn in your own field, a bit more and might as well use the experience and knowledge. MBA would be very generalized and I wont be diverting from the mainstream.
I wanted to know if you are aware of the placements after the course. I have heard the many students go back to sail again after completing MS. If thats so then the loan which i would be taking would be an additional burden to payoff if in the end i land up sailing again!

I just checked my company’s website. For the “Management Team”, they have four people with MBAs listed. They have zero people with masters degrees from a maritime college. I am not saying they are good managers though…

Thanks for the suggestion, i went through many websites, the senior management either have a hefty 10-15 yrs of experience on sail or they are form completely different management background so in either cases wont fit my present need. Its true that MBA provides more options but in parallel, the amount of competition also increases and your past experience in the particular field have lesser value. Hence I was thinking to do a specific MS course.
Its just that i am little bit shaky whether to take a loan and halt my sailing(of course with no income) and start the course.
Are these colleges worth the risk (above mentioned)? In the end if i get a sound job then it completely worth. I know i sound very vague at this moment but this is where i am starting from and based upon the valuable inputs i will deciding the next move.
regards.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;162081]I just checked my company’s website. For the “Management Team”, they have four people with MBAs listed. They have zero people with masters degrees from a maritime college. I am not saying they are good managers though…[/QUOTE]

Exactly…even I find it a bit confusing as to whether Masters degree would help or not.
If i get to know someone who is passed out or doing the course then it would be a very clear picture !

It’s certainly not going to hurt you but anyone will tell you there are no guarantees. You’ll have to decide if the risk is worth it for yourself.
Have you looked into online programs? There are some very good schools offering complete masters programs online now. Not sure if any maritime schools are offering them yet but many other places. They can take a bit longer to complete but allow you to continue working. You’d just need an Internet connection.

I’ll give a +1 to the MBA option over the Maritime MS, especially if you’re looking at shore side employment in the US. In my opinion it will give you more options.

If you have your heart set on an Maritime MS, then I recommend Maine Maritime Academy’s program. They have a good reputation both here and overseas. For what its worth, the Academic Dean of the US Merchant Marine Academy (Kings Point) has a MS from Maine. (sorry for the Kings Point reference c.captain).