Getting a degree

Hello all, I am a hawspiper and a tugboater. I have just changed jobs, and was thinking about finishing my degree on my off time. I was thinking business but I am not exactly sure if that would make the most sense in maritime. I know I don’t have the time or money to go back and attend an academy to get a marine transportation degree, so I was wondering what the thoughts of the membership more wise than I thought.

Business is always good but get the mba

Is your goal to go shoreside?

My goal is to stay competitive with academy grads as maritime goes towards a more white collar management. But end dream maybe harbor pilot, or late in the game port captain or general manager. However that is a long way down the road. I just don’t want to fall behind the curve.

I believe that Maine Maritime Academy had a program just for your situation. It was broken down into several week sessions so that existing mariners could obtain a maritime degree. You may want to check that out.

I always believe in more education. I am not sure how a business degree will help you get a pilot or port captain job though. Companies are going to want experience over degrees for those positions. Now a general manager or some other business related office job in the industry would help. I think there are quite a few Maritime office jobs that can utilized someone with a license and business degree.

Which academy has this program, that sounds very appealing.

[QUOTE=“Hbsurf;111995”]

Which academy has this program, that sounds very appealing.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure Maine Maritime doesn’t do it in modules like they used to.

[QUOTE=“captaint76;111980”]I believe that Maine Maritime Academy had a program just for your situation. It was broken down into several week sessions so that existing mariners could obtain a maritime degree. You may want to check that out.[/QUOTE]

They changed it a while ago. It isn’t modular anymore.

Maybe you might find this helpful:

700 Free On Line Courses From Top Universities

Some more courses here:

I’m thinking online classes is what you need to be looking into. If you can manage to finish up your undergraduate degree through an online program, SUNY offers an online Graduate program. You could get a masters of International transportation mgmt. A graduate degree w a maritime focus might be beneficial to you.

[QUOTE=“bowsntows;112195”]I’m thinking online classes is what you need to be looking into. If you can manage to finish up your undergraduate degree through an online program, SUNY offers an online Graduate program. You could get a masters of International transportation mgmt. A graduate degree w a maritime focus might be beneficial to you.[/QUOTE]

Is the SUNY program completely online now? It wasn’t the last time I checked…

It is my understanding that the entire graduate degree for masters of International transportation mgmt is online…