Mariner's hats, caps and head coverings

I’d thought that the “You bet I’m going back to sea” poster must have been a watch cap but it’s not.

Similar to this:

From here Mariner's cap - Wikipedia

A mariner’s cap , variations of which are known as skipper cap , Greek fisherman’s cap , fiddler cap or Breton cap , Lenin cap and Mao cap , is a soft, flat-topped cap with a small visor, usually made from black or navy blue wool felt, but also occasionally from corduroy or blue denim.

I see men, mostly older men wearing caps similar to this around here from time to time.

If the hat (in the poster) was white, you might assume he belonged to the SIU. Don’t see them worn as much as I used to.

2 Likes

The white cap is also known in Alaska as a SE Stevedores cap. Also worn by the Alaska deep sea fishermen (halibut, cod, long line) mostly Scandinavian.

1 Like

Well, can you order them?

Some of them you have to earn

1 Like

AKA a “Lunchbox Stetson” evidently.

A good wool Greek Fisherman’s hats is actually really warm, stays on your head securely, and doesn’t cover the ears so you can still hear normally. I don’t wear them as much as I used to buy they’re great when it’s colder.

2 Likes

The white caps are sold at Seattle Marine & Fishing Supply and known as a “Ballard Stetson”. About 20 bucks.

1 Like

Pilot in Mersin Turkey gave me this hat.

Remember this one ? Standard cap slop chest any American Ship 1970’s only one I have left, small, son used to wear it fishing when he was 4 or 5 years old, 48 now !

Far as I know Landrys out of business, are American ships still required to have a stocked slop chest ?

2 Likes

Looks like a welder’s cap. You wear it backwards and the bill protects your neck.

It’s a shame they don’t make caps with the bill in the front to shield the wearer’s eyes from the sun

3 Likes

Thing about Landrys Port Arthur TX they were made out of Awning canvas scrap, every one different. Every ship I ever boarded as a young trainee American Export Isbrandtsen had Landrys nothing else. Those days signing on Shipping commissioner could and sometimes did inspect the slop chest

May be all Landrys because caps were slop chest required and articles as I recall specified slop articles could only be marked up 10 %

2 Likes

I googled “Ballard Stetson” and went to the Trawler’s forum. Seems like the “Tilly hat”, which I’d never heard of is popular.

Not much love for the Yachting hat there.

I remember that in the 1970s/80s there were some “rules” on the pipelay barges about who wore their welding caps backwards, over which ear, the pattern of the hats (Polka dots etc.)
Can’t remember if this had practical reasons to do with the type of welding they did (1st bead, fill weld etc.) or just signified which state they came from.
Anybody here remember??

You gotta go to Cruiser’s Forum for that.

1 Like

Sometimes known as a steaming bonnet.

When I was working in the shipyards in Korea, Singapore and occasionally China it was easy to to spot the USA guys on the plane. They looked like those clowns.

The way most Americans stand out anywhere outside the US is hard to miss and the ball cap worn backward is a surefire giveaway.

2 Likes

And white socks.

2 Likes