Mariner's hats, caps and head coverings

Together with Cowboy boots and big belt buckle and you had a sure sign of an oilfield worker.

1 Like

Never understood the wearing of a ball cap backwards. I have worn similar caps to keep the sun out of my eyes, which I think is the original idea. I have also turned my cap around backwards when fishing and going from one location to another at speed to keep my cap from blowing off. But on an airline? They plan on putting their head out the window? I also remember being required to wear a cover [cap] on my head but woe be unto me if I was caught with that cover on in an enclosed space.

4 Likes

cargo shorts and running shoes - on someone who hasn’t run 2 miles in the last 20 years

3 Likes

Its a fashion statement. Spit cup is the ultimate accessory

1 Like

Tank tops

The man pictured is Harry Lundeberg, the president of the Sailor’s Union of the Pacific (SUP). The cap is frequently called a “Lundeberg Stetson” and known in the trade as a “Newsboy Cap”. Years ago as a young A.B. I asked an old-timer why maritime union men wore the distinctive white caps. My watch partner said: “…we used to wear them when we went out on strike so the cops would know who to beat the shit out of!”

My old (now deceased) 80 lb. mutt, Tank, affectionately called Tanker sporting a genuine Landry cap!

3 Likes

What a bunch of crap discussion… this is Harry Lundberg’s hat. We wore and wear it in solidarity. It means something.
The SUP means something. We are NOT the SIU. We are Sailors … enough said.

Maybe this is the one you were thinking of. It doesn’t say what job needs to be finished (WW2?) but this sailor is definetely wearing a watch cap.

3 Likes

Standard issue on Lykes back in the 70s.