Mariner's day rate survey Jan 2010

Gulfmark America’s - OS’s 185.00, AB’s 250.00, QMed’s 285.00 (I think), 100t capt. 385.00, 200t capt 460.00, 500/1600t mates 350.00, 500/1600t capt. 550-750 all dep. on experience and tenure is 10.00 per year. No Travel per diem. Bonus every six months.

[QUOTE=anchorman;25702]Groupo R is one. They got the Larson rig. Master is $270,000 1/2 year. The rest is what was quoted.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know how much Vantage Drilling is paying?

[QUOTE=ds;25715]Does anyone know how much Vantage Drilling is paying?[/QUOTE]

Good question. Don’t even know if they’re hiring yet for the new builds.

550-750 for capt? I question the 750, tops might be around 600 (with tenure). Great insurance too, they change providers often to keep you on your toes so I have been told!

[QUOTE=anchorman;25718]Good question. Don’t even know if they’re hiring yet for the new builds.[/QUOTE]

I wish you’d stay off of this topic. Lol

[QUOTE=ds;25715]Does anyone know how much Vantage Drilling is paying?[/QUOTE]

They are building ships across the island from us in Korea and, while I have not heard about pay yet, they are hiring but just key positions.

The 750 day rate for a Gulfmark Captain should be questioned. They are nowhere close to that. 600 tops is a good estimate. The $10 a year tenure ends after 3 years. I disagree with the good insurance claim. When I was with them it sucked and from what I hear not much has changed. They just switched there fleet back to the 28-14 schedule too just so people know.

Sarcasm about the insurance!!! Tenure ends after 4 years.

100 Ton Crewboat Captains in the Gulf: $275-$350/day
Unlicensed engineer on Crewboats (aka no QMED, just an OS Wiper): $150/day
Deckhand on Crewboat (OS deckhand): $90-$125/day

Damn…I dont even want to post what I get. I realised Im way under payed.

Thanks guys…

Danny

hey clear solution, remember [B][I][U]knowledge is power[/U][/I][/B]. also, this site is fairly anonymous: what, is some psycho mariner blogger going to track you down because you’re underpaid?
also, bear in mind that there are many methods of compensation other then financial payments. quality of life, steadiness of work, insurance, etc.

Bordelon Marine- O.S. $105, U.L. Engineers $125, Captains working as U.L.'s $150. captains start at $225. The office is good to work with, and captains get free health insurance after 6 months. Quarterly bonus based on job and company performance. Health Insurance is BCBS. No 401k.

Abdon Callaies- Start training Captains out at $325, and when they get promoted to 2nd it goes up to $365. Captains get free health insurance with BCBS. They offer 401k.

I’m all for everybody knows whats going on with other companies. And yes there is more to where your work then just what your day rate is.

That’s crazy that Gulfmark is paying 500 ton mats less then 100 ton captains.

I can pretty much confirm that there isn’t a 750 a day capt. over there. Before Gulfmark purchased Rigdon the guys on the old ex-Sea Mar boats were paid better than the Rigdon guys were. The $10 a year holds true but the company isn’t that old so nobody has been there too long. Rigdon was lower on the pay scale than most of the GOM companies and were strictly 28/14 with no travel allowance. I still talk to people that work there and $750 a day is unheard of. In the market now they have cut back a lot.

A very close friend and former shipmate of mine just made Master at Gulfmark after working there for two years. He is making $540/Day. He is also working an EQUAL time schedule 28/28, but says that he has to fight the office to keep the schedule.

SIU electrician on the standard contract (best one) working about 2 hours of overtime every day underway plus a lot of overtime in port (stand by) makes about 12k a month. 4 hours overtime at sea about 14k. Vacation pay add a little bit over 2k a month. unemployment benefits depend on the state the company operates from. Some companies started to cut back on overtime and if you’re permanent it’s hard to get the unemployment benefit.

damn. speaking as a unlicensed engine bastard. 150 a day assuming a 12 hour day (when does that ever happen?) = $12.50 a hour. might as well be flipping burgers and going home every night, sleeping regular hours, WHY???

Were can you flip burgers for more then $8 an hour and get any benefits?

Also you forget that for 9 months a year us unmarried guys have no expenses. I don’t spend anything on food, gas, eating out, booze, whatever. You have to add easily $10 to $15k a year to a land job to make up for that. Never mind that this job is a hell of a lot more fun then flipping burgers.

[quote=Jemplayer;26284]Were can you flip burgers for more then $8 an hour and get any benefits?

Also you forget that for 9 months a year us unmarried guys have no expenses. I don’t spend anything on food, gas, eating out, booze, whatever. You have to add easily $10 to $15k a year to a land job to make up for that. Never mind that this job is a hell of a lot more fun then flipping burgers.[/quote]

I agree 100%. Landed a shore job few years back (crane electrician in port) to spend more time with my family. Still have nightmares when i remember it. Just the morning traffic can turn you from the most friendly guy on earth into an antisocial freak. And while at the end of the year i made more money than at sea i was actually more in debt than before. Amazingly i was actually spending less quality time with my family than before. Also, try getting anything done, everything is closed on weekends and on weekdays you’re working. Used all my sick days in first couple of months even though i had a shifting rotation. Ran back to sea screaming. No thank you.

Love to see a 2012 version… cool post.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;73690]Love to see a 2012 version… cool post.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t all of this be in the Work Boat Compensation report http://www.workboat.com/content.aspx?id=11640

Has anyone ever seen one of these?