Mariner's day rate survey Jan 2010

Am curious to see how the last 12 months have affected our days rates industry wide. a few of you may remember my efforts from previous years. it is an interesting database and [U]it is important that we all know the going rates for our trade.[/U]

Please feel free to post & share the most accurate information you may have as well as the companies.

My input:
Mooring Masters (Angola & Eq Guinea): US$3000/day
Seacor Masters over 1600 tons oceans: US$575/day
above with DP Cert add US$60/day
Bourbon France pure DPO (no OICNW): US$740/day
2nd Mate & DPO: Bourbon France, Oceaneering: US$540/day
offshore survey technicians: US$650/day

needed: AB, OS, 100 ton, 500 ton, Ch/Off, 3rd Off, Master Unlimited, Master Unlimited with DP, all engineering, and any others you bloggers care to add.

as always, this public information is for our own good and the more we all share the more we all benefit.

*NewYork AB’s for reinauer tugs make 365 a day. OS’s 255

*100 ton ferry captains Boston make 15-20hr max hahahaha

*lauderdale Docking pilots 369K a year according to professional mariner!!! WOW

we should get paid alot more for what we do, 500 ton Captains and up should make at least a 1000 a day.

Great idea Richard!

Reinauer’s Daily Rates can be found on their webpage, Reinauer Daily Pay. Keep in mind that the rates shown INCLUDE $50.00 travel per diem with the exception of O/S’s. That said, I think it’s important to distinguish “Daily Rate” from “Compensation”.

Before they locked down the information the contracts for all of Local 333’s companies were posted on their website. I have a copy of Moran’s contract and it is quite similar for Deckhands but has more categories for wheelhouse and engineering personnel. It is also interesting to note that the $50.00 travel per diem is not paid to an “O/S or the crewmember serving in that capacity”. If people have the desire I can copy the rate page and post it.

Don’t have exact numbers for Bouchard but have heard $365.00 per day which probably includes their $45.00 travel per diem. Bouchard’s medical benefits, and cost thereof, have historically been hugely different from the other NY Tug companies. Maybe the highest daily rate, but you pay for it elsewhere.

McAllister AB’s, working in that capacity, $265; O/S $235. Harbor Tug AB $180; O/S $160.

Vane Brothers AB $230.

[quote=skinny stick;25601]we should get paid alot more for what we do, 500 ton Captains and up should make at least a 1000 a day.[/quote] Don’t know any captains that are over $1000 a day, are they out there?

Well offshore Unlimited C/M’s with DP get about $190,000 /year including bonuses & extra pay which, I guess, equals about $1400 /day. Unlimited 2nd mates make only slightly less.

Unlimited Captains with DP make about $225,000 which equals about $1700 /day

[quote=cmjeff;25604]Well offshore Unlimited C/M’s with DP get about $190,000 /year including bonuses & extra pay which, I guess, equals about $1400 /day. Unlimited 2nd mates make only slightly less.

Unlimited Captains with DP make about $225,000 which equals about $1700 /day[/quote]

I am certainly in the wrong damn business.

That being said, publishing rates online (or spreading them via email) can lead to wage collusion (also called wage fixing) which makes this information potentially harmful.

[QUOTE=anchorman;25605]I am certainly in the wrong damn business.[/QUOTE]

My math might be off and that’s just an [I]average[/I] for the better companies. It can vary highly depending on location, company, and bonus schemes.

For example, I hear that a captain working in Nigeria gets a 20% overseas bonus and a 25% danger pay bonus. This adds up to a lot of money.

Yea, this is a good one. I was recently working in the Gulf for a ROV company as Master, making $700 a day. Running a 254 foot vessel.

I have a friend that works at Cal Dive, running as Master making $850 a day. Chief Mate is $750 a day (they want U/L licenses).

[quote=cmjeff;25607]My math might be off and that’s just an [I]average[/I] for the better companies. It can vary highly depending on location, company, and bonus schemes.

For example, I hear that a captain working in Nigeria gets a 20% overseas bonus and a 25% danger pay bonus. This adds up to a lot of money.[/quote]

It looks about what I have seen except Noble, which is WAY off on the low end, and Groupo R which is way over on the high end. I have had Master and Chief Mate offers on older stuff, but not on the newer generation stuff.

[quote=cmjeff;25604]Well offshore Unlimited C/M’s with DP get about $190,000 /year including bonuses & extra pay which, I guess, equals about $1400 /day. Unlimited 2nd mates make only slightly less.

Unlimited Captains with DP make about $225,000 which equals about $1700 /day[/quote]

Is that day for day? 6 month’s work?

ARTICLE X. JOB CLASSIFICATIONS AND WAGES
10.1 During the term of this Agreement, covered employees will occupy the following
job classifications on the 010 equipment or vessels covered hereunder in the nurnber(s) shown:
a. Twenty-four Hour Boat
-1 Captain

• 1 Mate
    -1 Engineer
    -3 Deckhands
    b. Davboat
    -1 Captain
    -1 Engineer
    -2 Deckhands
    10.2 While operating or on board the Company’s 0/0 equipment or vessels, the covered
    employees shall be under the direction of and subject only to such person or persons as the
    Company may designate and appoint.
    10.3 When working in the job classifications described above, the covered employees
    shall be compensated on either a Twenty-four Hour Boat Basis or a Day Boat Hourly Wage Rate
    (“boat compensation rate”) as follows:
    a. Twenty-four Hour Boat Basisi
    Captain $477.12 per day
    Mate $424.32 per day
    Engineer $425.69 per day
    Deckhand $308.88 per day
    b. Dav Boat Hour Wage Rates:
    Captain $39.76 per hour
    Engineer $35.47 per hour
    Deckhand $25.74 per hour
    10.4 Neither Sections 10.1 nor 10.3 immediately preceding shall apply when vessels, as
    defined in Section 1.4 above, are engaged in towing scrap and aggregate south of the Tolchester
    Beach line and when towing scrap and aggregate to and from the ports of Havre-de-Grace and to
    and from the ports of Dover and Wilrninlmington, Delaware when transiting the C&D Canal to reach
    those ports. In such events, the following manning and twenty-four hour boat compensation rate
    (only) shall apply:
    1 Captain $3 1 1.40 per day
    1 Mate $249.00 per day
    1 Engineer $249.00 per day
    1 Deckhand $172.90 per day
    10.5 The boat compensation rates listed in Sections 10.3 a. and b. and 10.4 shall be
    increased by three (3%) percent effective on the first pay period day’ following February 14,
    2008; four (4%) percent effective on the first pay period day following February 14, 2009.
    10.6 The daily rates shown in Sections 10.3, a. and 10.4 (and as subsequently adjusted)
    shall be payable for any time that is worked in the classifications set forth in Sections 10.1 and
    . 10.4 above during any specific twenty-four (24) hour working period as presently established by
    the Company and for all successive twenty-four (24) how periods worked thereafter. Other than
    for the operations described in Section 10.4 above, starting times within the twenty-four (24)
    how working periods shall be fixed by the Company for three (3) month intervals from March 1
    to December 1 each contract year; provided, however, said times may be adjusted as the
    Company deems fit between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 12:Ol p.m. each day. During the months
    other than March 1 to December 1 of each contract year, starting times may be set in the
    Company’s discretion. Starting times for the operations described in Section 10.4 above reside
    solely in the Company’s discretion.
    10.7 Twenty-four hour crews shall work no more that one (1) week on and one (1) week
    off. Nothing contained in the Agreement shall, however, be construed as a guarantee of hours
    per day or days per week.
    10.8 All work performed at the Section 10.3, a. and Section 10.4 rates shall be perfonned
    at straight time rates.
    10.9 Covered employees who perform work at the Section 10.3, b. rate shall be paid at
    straight time rates for ten (1 0) hours, regardless of the number of hours actually worked and at an
    overtime rate of time and one-half the stated hourly wage rate for all hours worked in excess of
    such ten (10) hours in any twenty-four (24) hour work period. All hours of work in any specific
    twenty-four (24) hour work period, as established by the Company, shall be consecutive.
    10.10 From the effective date of this Agreement to the last pay period day immediately
    before February 14, 2008, the Company will pay each covered employee the amount of 15.50 per day actually worked as reimbursement for food. Annually thereafter the amount shall be increased by Forty (.40) cents per day actually worked through the expiration date of this
    Agreement. The grub money will be sent via check payable to the Captain or his designee in
    writing. The Captain or his designee must provide weekly receipts for the grub purchases equal
    to -tha~m ount of the check to conform with the Internal Revenue Service requirements of an
    "accountable plan". Any difference between the check amount and the weekly receipts for grub
    is considered taxable income to the Captain or his designee and will be disclosed as such on an
    annual IRS Form 1099.
    10.1 1 From the effective date through the expiration date of this Agreement, the
    Company will compensate one (1) person per boat, per week $70.00 for the purchase of grub.

Gulf Resource

Captain 100 Ton $280.-330. a day
Engineer $138
Deck Hand $100

OUCH

[quote=skycowboy;25636]Gulf Resource

Captain 100 Ton $280.-330. a day
Engineer $138
Deck Hand $100

OUCH[/quote]

Ouch is right. Back in 83, I was making 160/day as an engineer with Crowley, and I had lots of OT.

Made about 210 a day on an ATB in the mid 80s (plus vacation time and bonus).

I am sorry to say that I am sceptical because I want what you say to be true but can you tell me where these numbers come from? Transocean? Pride? Frontier? Diamond? We know that it is not Noble or ENSCO. Is it the foreign drilling companies that are being so generous?

Who is it…the world wants to know!

[quote=HawspiperJeff;25599]*NewYork AB’s for reinauer tugs make 365 a day. OS’s 255
[/quote]

$365 / Day for regular ABs??? Are you talking tankermen??

Check the link, AB’s make $289.20 plus $50.00 travel per diem for a total of $339.20…

[QUOTE=c.captain;25642]I am sorry to say that I am sceptical because I want what you say to be true but can you tell me where these numbers come from? Transocean? Pride? Frontier? Diamond? We know that it is not Noble or ENSCO. Is it the foreign drilling companies that are being so generous?

Who is it…the world wants to know![/QUOTE]

Groupo R is one. They got the Larson rig. Master is $270,000 1/2 year. The rest is what was quoted.

Bouchard AB as of now get a daily rate of 243$ plus 45$ travel per diem.