Mariner Pay 2023

That’s quite a spread for mates. What do you have to do for $800?

1 Like

Upper end would be extensive knowledge working on and sailing on tugs in Alaska, with a waiver to transit through Canada. Washington State now requires the complete salary range for job postings by companies with 15 or more employees. The low end of that scale would be a training mate up to a Master/Mate.

3 Likes

A Canadian pilotage waiver should be worth at least double pay while transiting Canadian waters.

1 Like

Every company (especially in the US GoM) has their own unique color scheme. He’s identifying a company without explicitly naming a company.

Now I get the point , lot of information floating around here, since I found this forum I started my carrier as a marine engineer in USA , still in licensing preparation though but any how .

Does anyone know what the going rate is for harbor tug mates along the gulf coast? Crescent, Moran, Seabulk, etc.

$640/day for G&H as of Jan. 1. Not sure if the other harbor tug companies in the Gulf have come up to that yet.

I’d also love to know these numbers

Coconut telegraph reporting that the blue boats are giving out a raise in July.

1 Like

Best union contracts 3rd Mates getting $600-660/day + freedom to create your own schedule

Worth a transition to oil field? ie $700+ per day for 3rd? Drill ships/offshore supply, not tankers

1 Like

Someone PM’d me about Mate jobs with Resolve in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

I have not heard current pay, but it was, and probably still is, low Florida level wages, by far the lowest in Alaska.

I talked to an Indian port captain named Gurpreet about 5 years ago. I think he offered $500 for Master. 70/70 hitches. No benefits until after five months. I could tell right away he wasn’t the type of guy I would want to work for. Obviously, I said no.

Resolve has turnover in Dutch Harbor. It’s a boring busywork job tied to the dock 95% of the time in an undesirable place for low pay. You won’t learn much or get much experience there.

Resolve bought successful Magone Marine from Dan Magone, and then added another boat and barge.

Dan was very successful with it. Dan retired. Kenny the excellent ship repair manager has also retired. I don’t know who is running it now.

Dutch Harbor local and longtime Magone captain Butch Oss quit awhile ago.

The boats are reportedly only partially crewed, and they pull together one crew with guys from both boats when an emergency arises.

I know a number of guys who have been mates at Resolve, most for just a short time until something better came along. Some of the mates they’ve had were screw ups or weirdos. Some were good men.

1 Like

Alaska Marine Highway (State Ferries) is hiring all positions. I have not heard the wages. It’s a state job on MMP/IBU contracts, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find out what the wages are.

2 Likes

Don’t forget other key factors: Benefits when not working, potential pension (depending on union), free training, no bullshit of debating for promotions for lower license guys.

Vacation pay and overtime.

What’s the day rate considering the value of the total package? $900?

3 Likes

Who is Northern Maritime Logistics operating seasonal day boat tugs in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska?

Just received an email from the Union I used to ship out of. The newly added TSP tankers are paying quite well. Crowley is offering hiring bonuses and 3rd engineers pay is $130,000 a year with 75 day rotations. I’m sure you all can extrapolate what that means for the higher ranks.

2 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: AMO-MEBA Job Agreement

What are hiring bonuses looking like? And routes?

KOT/KOM deckies $255

Where we at for CM/Master pay at the bigs right now? I’ll start with the orange ones, 850/1k. Pretty stagnant. Been this way for almost 2 years.

Anyone care to share what black/orange or blue are paying for these ranks??? Any other companies, chime in.

1 Like