Mariner Pay 2023

TMA is the minor league for Pilots, best shiphandlers are TMA grads.

I remember as a cadet I sailed on the “Golden Bear” with the Texas cadets. I even had to do the bridge simulator with them and stand watch together. No difference in overall quality between cal cadets and Texas.

Marriage and kids can do a lot to change one’s priorities.

5 Likes

Indian 2nd mate unlimited license, 6 month contract (6on 6 off cargo watch at ports and 4 on 8 off bridge watch and 2 hr maintenance jobs)on ultra large container ships(400m LOA) doing trans oceanic voyages are paid 4200 usd including fixed OT per month while onboard and 0 at home. About 140 usd per day while onboard.
Annually about 25k. But this was tax free.
Always on call, berthing at god awful times, some times days go as long as 16hrs and is “managed” by adjusting work/rest hours. No other benefits.

AB’s make 1250 usd a month with OT. 4 on 8 off
9 months contract, about 11k a year. Tax free.

Talk about cheap labour and why Indian,Philippines and east Europeans are dominating the market.

Obviously I quit. Not worth it.
I migrated to North America.

15 Likes

I made USD 19000 in 45 days working as a 2nd cook on a Great Lakes bulk carrier.

1 Like

Thank you for posting here! This real world information was very needed on these forums.

6 Likes

Were you able to acquire the proper training etc. to obtain an American license? Or did you move to a different industry?

Hi, the training in India is carried out as per the STCW standards. I have navigated the vessels in North American waters multiple times.
But to work from north america indians need to re do some courses and re take orals.

Did not make any sense.

Why would you let the indian coc holders navigate ships in north american waters if you think they require additional training.

My friend who migrated with me did redo some stcw and gave exams and converted her coc to north american.

I did my fare share at sea and had transitioned to shore as a vessel performance superintendent of a huge management company dealing with performance optimization and decarbonization.

I am starting next week as a vessel operator with one of the major dry cargo exporter in north america.

7 Likes

Interesting points and good on you for bettering your life situation; I am sure that most will agree that you are the type of immigrant that this country needs more of.

Your point regarding the additional training I have looked into before on my own behalf. I was looking to get some chief mate STCW classes complete and the tuition costs at a school in the US numbered in the tens of thousands of dollars. On the other hand, I found a school with the required STCW classes in Ukraine (before the war). I figured I could do the classes for CHEAP, and visit a good friend of mine who lives there. It came to my attention that despite the classes being STCW and conforming to the same standards internationally agreed upon, the US authorities, as you rightfully pointed out, will not accept it. The reason is that the institution offering the training is not “US Coast Guard-approved”.

Essentially, it’s a protectionist act on the US-based mariner training schools; if US merchant mariners were able to fly to whatever country to complete the training cheaply, the US schools would be put out of business.

I used to view this as being ridiculous, but I realized I was being hypocritical. The Jones Act is a protectionist act that protects US mariner’s interests in a similar way that this caveat protects the people running and working in the schools. At least that’s my take on it.

2 Likes

It has always confused me why some mariners in the US choose not to join a Union and are proud company men. Even the worst unions in the USA cover the cost of upgrade classes. I do not think there is a non union US company that pays for classes without including a bunch of caveats,

1 Like

Drilling companies do that.

2 Likes

When you live nowhere close to a union hall and are offered a job that pays a lot more than an AMO company, the conversation can change. Not saying I am a poster child for non-union companies. Everyone finds what works for them.

3 Likes

True everyone finds what works for them. I don’t live near and then moved and didn’t live near a busy hall but early on I went for ships that did not pay great that no one wanted. I just took jobs off the board or flew in the day before jobs were being called. I figured getting sea time and using the training benefits made up for the lower pay.
I never understood the people who would just wait in the hall for days or weeks for that one high paying ship. Seem like a waste of time to me.
Once you get to chief mate and master you are permanent and even some 2nd mate jobs are so doesn’t really matter how close you live to the hall.
One major reason I sail union now is the flexibility of taking time off / a trip off and to deal with family issues that may arise (the sandwich generation struggles) and not have to potentially lose my job.

1 Like

That makes sense, but many countries have agreement where the COC can be mutually exchanged. Like Canada and Philippines.

Like jonas act most countries have a cabotage law. Even india has its own. But it do let foreign coc to be converted without going through a lot of hassle like here.

But the fact that most international tonnage is registered in flags of convenience like panama or liberia helps in getting jobs easily, without any regards to the national COC you hold as they readily give a equalent COC which is required to work on those vessels. Reason why you get cheap labour from asia and east europe dominating the field. As paying a 2nd mate 26k vs 100k+ makes sense to owners.

I have never sailed on an indian flag vessel. As the pay is even lower than foreign flag.

The exams in india are particularly tough, especially orals, that tons of people go to Australia, UK,Singapore,Ireland mostly white flags to do their exams as its much easier though it costs 100x the cost to do it in India and then continue sailing with those COC along with the flag of convenience coc of which the vessel is registered to. I have 1 national COC plus 3 from flags of convenience.

Orange boat , what you mean ?

McAllister… just saying

1 Like

[Better link. Apparently work network routes links to some security vetting.]

1 Like

That definitely looks like a link you shouldn’t click.

3 Likes

Not enough talk about US Mariner day rates !!!

What are the current day rates at Western Towboat?

2 Likes

Just saw an ad.

Western Towboat is hiring mates at $585 to $800 a day.

1 Like