Looking for a New Sea Bag. Suggestions?

That’s actually the coolest sea chest I’ve ever seen.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;194517]That’s actually the coolest sea chest I’ve ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Shut up and take my money.

[QUOTE=c.captain;194515]it is all about the venue you have chosen…THIS IS THE WRONG ONE![/QUOTE]

Looks like you don’t have to worry about that anymore. ALL GONE the way of the DoDo!!

[QUOTE=Guper;194467]I graduated from Cal last year and they “gave” us a sea bag to use however mine is already ripped, but I do really enjoy the large duffel bag kind of design when I’m going out to sea or travelling. I tried doing a search on amazon and googled around a bit, but nothing popped out at me.

What are most people using when traveling to meet the ship or just coming onboard? I just feel like I’d never want to lug a traditional suitcase onboard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

I was also “given” a sea bag, in boot camp, by the USCG, back in 1975.

Because of some combination of inertia, sentimentality and superstition I used that same sea bag for over twenty years before switching to the much more convenient standard wheeled suitcase I use today. The disadvantages of using a sea bag are obvious, for example when running to a faraway gate to catch a connection with everything you need for a four month trip to sea on your back.

But I was glad to have it one time, joining a tug in an Alaskan port as chief mate, I forget which port and what tug.

I arrived at the waterfront carrying my sea bag and I walked out across the pier to where the tug and barge was tied up, when I got to the edge I discovered it was low tide and the drop from the pier to the deck of the barge was about 30 feet. I put down my bag and stood there for a few seconds sizing up the situation. There were two deckhands out on the barge working and when they spotted me they both stopped what they were doing and began to watch me. There was a ladder to climb down but what about my sea bag?

I perceived the situation as my first test as the “new” chief mate. I assumed the deck hands were wondering how much of a fuss the new mate was going to make getting on board. Would I need help carrying my bag? Was I going to tell one of them to come up and carry it for me? Ask for a line? Was I worried about tweaking my sextant? Or breaking my laptop? Or damaging my luggage?

No sextant, no laptop, no nice luggage, nothing but an old sea bag with some well used work clothes, no worries. I picked up my bag and swung it out over the edge of the pier and let it fly. It landed on the barge with loud thump. Both deck hands had big grins on their faces when I turned around to come down the ladder. Of course by the time I got down the ladder to the barge they’d both put their “we’re rough, tough, Alaskan tugboatmen and you’d better not mess with us” faces back on. But I felt like I’d passed my first test.

I still have that sea bag and it’s not in bad shape, a little wear and tear. Don’t need it sailing deep-sea now, most times an AB grabs my bag for me when I join. Of course your experiences and requirments may be different.

I have my boot camp issue white mesh ditty/laundry bag I’ve been carrying to sea for 26 years. It’s got several holes and I don’t use it anymore but I dare not take it out of my bag.

A good quality tactical bag with compartments works great as a carry on and can take a beating.

Just like this!

Golfa non Verba y’all

That looks expensive. My tax dollars had to pay for that crap! Then I have to compete for deep sea jobs with them.

1 Like

I got the standard-issue nylon-mesh laundry bags (1 for whites, 1 for colors) with the giant safety pins at Cape May in September of '82. One stays home while the other resides afloat. It’s got one small snag-hole in it, but I’m still using it today, and for the original purpose. It’s been all over the world and never let me down. I will never, ever, willingly part with it.

[QUOTE=c.captain;194539]Just like this!

Golfa non Verba y’all[/QUOTE]

That thing totally looks like R2D2.

No wonder those cadets feel bullied.

1 Like

this could be the beginning of a movement…KICK KPEE’ers IN THE BALLS!

then again, most of em just go become Zoomies anyway…THE USMMA IS THE ULTIMATE FRAUD!

MY GAWD! Such diehard loyalty to a laundrybag is the stuff of Forrest Gump…

“Momma always told me to not wash them coloreds in hot water…you never know if they’ll melt?”

bullied? our young’ns at KP are probably all wet dreaming of the day they can pass and review with their own KP Executive golfbags slung over their shoulders. Bet those come with built in MP3 players to constantly blare “A Life on the Ocean Wave”
this from the USMMAAF website:

Many of you know that it’s been a decade long dream of mine to offer Kings Pointers the “Golf Bag” they deserve. Nearly every single institution of higher learning has one except for the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. The reasons stem from the lack of a true online store, the small alumni base and someone to actually pull it all together. We have toyed with a couple of bags in the past, but none have delivered the punch as much as this one.

With the assistance of several Kings Pointers, we came up with a custom USMMA Callaway Golf Bag that we feel delivers the best display of all that is Kings Point. This ORG 14S CART BAG made by Callaway proudly displays the USMMA logos on the Blue & Gray colors that we have all grown to love. The strap features USMMA, matching similar designs from other Service Academies. The sides of the bag prominently feature “United States MERCHANT MARINE Academy” and “KINGS POINT.” There is no doubt that anyone standing next to this bag will take notice.

In order for this bag to be made, we must commit to 200 orders. This means that 200 bags must be “reserved” so we know there is ample interest. Once the interest is met, we will reach out to those who have reserved a bag for payment. Once the funds are collected, the bags will be put into production. It will take 90-120 days for production. Unfortunately, we cannot purchase the bags ahead of time without knowing we will sell them all.

To Reserve USMMA Custom Golf Bag
Price: $180 (includes $50 donation to the Blue & Gray Golf Classics benefiting USMMA Athletics)
To reserve a bag, CLICK HERE to reserve a bag for Pre-Sale.
No purchase required at this time.

If you are interested in owning this bag, we encourage you to reach out to other Kings Pointers to help us reach our 200 order minimum.

If you have any questions, please contact me. Thanks so much for your patience in this project!!

Gregg Matalas
Director of Marketing / Blue & Gray
USMMA Alumni Association and Foundation

chickenshit bastards are too scared to just order the 200 bags required because they’re probably afraid they’ll get stuck with the lot of em and would have to give them away.

how much you wanna bet those bags are made in China?

I know how you feel…

Imgur

Grundens Gage 105 Liter Shackelton Duffel Bag. It turns into a backpack and floats if you are feeling squirrelly.

I suggest the matching 30L Rum Runner backpack too. It’s sure to impress the shipmates.

TackleDirect.com or West Marine

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;194544]I know how you feel…[/QUOTE]

such simpletons…

say hey to Bubba and Lt. Dan for me

utterly shameful to use the great Ernst “the Boss” Shackelton’s name to market something

It turns into a backpack and floats if you are feeling squirrelly.

but on the otherhand, having your own personal inflatable liferaft ain’t such a bad idea…why not a bag you can get into, zip it closed and then inflate might actually save some mariners lives. I had something of the same idea for forest firefighter emergency shelters. Nothing insulates better than air

1 Like

[QUOTE=c.captain;194539]Just like this!

[/QUOTE]

Oscar Mike Golf, Becky. Look at her bag. It is so big.

[QUOTE=captjacksparrow;194541]I got the standard-issue nylon-mesh laundry bags (1 for whites, 1 for colors) with the giant safety pins at Cape May in September of '82. One stays home while the other resides afloat. It’s got one small snag-hole in it, but I’m still using it today, and for the original purpose. It’s been all over the world and never let me down. I will never, ever, willingly part with it.[/QUOTE]

The U.S. Coast Guard is an organization that has been going to sea for 226 years. That institution instills in it’s “boots” the idea that if you go to sea the laundry bag goes too. Who are you or I to say they’re wrong?

I did lose the giant safety pin with no apparent ill effects.

I’ve still got mine too. Stencil still shows up. No holes yet. They eventually went to the non-mesh style BTW. Sea bag still good.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;194551]The U.S. Coast Guard is an organization that has been going to sea for 226 years. That institution instills in it’s “boots” the idea that if you go to sea the laundry bag goes too.[/QUOTE]

my KP issued laundry bag was disposed of decades ago and if memory serves me was burned in a funeral pyre symbolizing the death of that ridiculous place in my life

here is my present laundry bag…it came from Walmart and is made in China of flimsy fabric and with poor quality stitching which is already coming apart but still serves me faithfully. Someday, when it comes apart at the seams I will toss it in the trash without shedding a tear. Let it be understood I would not poke anyone with my pointy stick if they were to criticize it so go right ahead and prepare to not feel my wrath upon your person

although I may open it and unleash a hideous odure upon thee

bloody peasants