Must have items in your sea bag

I am putting together a sea bag to keep in my car in the event I get a job and need to be ready to leave at a moment’s notice. What are some items from clothes to equipment that you have found to be must haves in your bag or ideas you have picked up over the years.

We use to have lots of discussions about this a while back…There is probably some other threads in the archives if you want to search them out…But this will get you started…

My bag is pretty much packed all the time with clothes for two weeks. It’s been altered to account for cold wx now as I’ll be offshore up north. I always have binos, an extension cord, sirius radio, camera, & laptop.

Another listing of good gear to get can be found here:

That’s a new one on me. lol. Sorry

I was wondering about that one too, thought I may be missing out on something…:wink:

I carry a six foot one. Using it now. Comes in real handy to plug my PC into an outlet. It also has multiplug on the end so I can plug in additional devices, cellphone charger etc.
If you are expecting to be on deck alot in warmer climate: chap stick, sun screen and good hat. Also steel toe rubber boots and good rain gear.
A personal daily log, Sh*t Happens at sea and its good to have your own records. Ink pens, envelopes & stamps. Good ear plugs.

[QUOTE=10talents;20474]I carry a six foot one. Using it now. Comes in real handy to plug my PC into an outlet. It also has multiplug on the end so I can plug in additional devices, cellphone charger etc.[/QUOTE]

No doubt they’re handy…I got 2 multi-strips in my stateroom now. Only, most companies will buy as many as you want.

Condoms and lube . .

1 Like

Ha ha ha ha. You’re spoiled working for Mr. Gary.

[QUOTE=dougpine;20494]Ha ha ha ha. You’re spoiled working for Mr. Gary.[/QUOTE]

Not just him, from my experience, with several companies, you get as many paint brushes and extension cords that you want. This includes GFIC to protect personnel and multi-strips/surge protectors to protect electronics. Small investments for what they do. If you have to bring you’re own, then so be it. Not sure of what excuse a company could come up with not to send such things unless they’re broke…which would make it time to move on anyway.

Your seabag itself is critical. It will only take having your luggage fall apart on the gangway one time for you to realize the worth of quality luggage.

For my first trip to a ship I wheel a Patagonia Rolling Duffel and have a Patanogia MCL bag on my back. Then I sling a messenger bag on my front with my laptop.

For subsequent trips I have a a Briggs and Riley wheelie.

All the above are the most bullet proof bags i have been able to find. Expensive, but worth their weight in gold.

[quote=john;20520]Your seabag itself is critical. It will only take having your luggage fall apart on the gangway one time for you to realize the worth of quality luggage.

For my first trip to a ship I wheel a Patagonia Rolling Duffel and have a Patanogia MCL bag on my back. Then I sling a messenger bag on my front with my laptop.

For subsequent trips I have a a Briggs and Riley wheelie.

All the above are the most bullet proof bags i have been able to find. Expensive, but worth their weight in gold.[/quote]

DAAAAAMN! Dem thar bags is pricie!

I use the North Face Duffel Bag
I use the small size & am able to pack for 6 weeks using just that, thanks to advice from OneBag.com
S.

Iron on cloth patches… faster than needle ant thread. Oh, dental floss will double as thread and your dentist will love you for carrying it.

No iron on board?? I use the heat gun :wink:
Bob

Ill agree with John on a good bag, but dam $400 is a little steep, even for my blood.

http://www.workbagsonline.com/c-7-offshore-series.aspx

When EVERYONE who has worked offshore for any length of time owns and uses the blue offshore bags then you might want to consider getting a few if your new to the game. $70 for the biggest one is a small investment for making sure your stuff stays dry from the carry all to your state room.

An added benefit is I have gotten out of a few tickets down south when the cop looked in my back seat, recognize the blue bags, and I told him I was going to or coming from work.

I have a set that has lasted me 5 years of continual use and that is after a few years use from my dad before he got a new set just because.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;20553]Ill agree with John on a good bag, but dam $400 is a little steep, even for my blood.[/QUOTE]

First I’ve had the large rolling duffel since 2001 and never had a problem. The patagonia MCL I bought at the same time but it’s strap got caught in the luggage carousel (It was my fault form not zipping up the stap) and tore… I sent it back to patagonia and got a brand new one.

Second both were the previous year’s model and on sale at REI outlet for half off!

The Briggs and Riley stuff is also bulletproof but, while patagonia doesn’t officially cover luggage damaged by airlines, B&R does. Whether it’s a luggage carousel or a disgruntled airline employee with a sledgehammer they will replace the bag.

Yes $400 is expensive but not if you divide it by the number of years you’ll get to use it!

[quote=Jemplayer;20553]Ill agree with John on a good bag, but dam $400 is a little steep, even for my blood.
[/quote]

I got one from the Reno factory outlet on sale for $99, not the max though so it’s a little smaller. It could easily be one of the best things I ever bought, the wheels are lightning fast.

To note, Patagonia has a great lifetime warranty, so long as you don’t lose it you’ll have it for life. Also to note, REI for stuff like this is well worth the money. Return anything, at any time, for any reason.

I will say I agree those bags are truly great but… I never understood why everyone offshore insists on duffels without wheels. Sure it looks tough picking up a body bag sized duffel and lifting it across the terminal but why go through that amount of effort?

Patagonia, well worth it. You’ll never have to buy another.

Your seabag itself is critical. It will only take having your luggage fall apart on the gangway one time for you to realize the worth of quality luggage.:slight_smile: