Looking for a New Sea Bag. Suggestions?

I graduated from Cal last year and they “gave” us a sea bag to use however mine is already ripped, but I do really enjoy the large duffel bag kind of design when I’m going out to sea or travelling. I tried doing a search on amazon and googled around a bit, but nothing popped out at me.

What are most people using when traveling to meet the ship or just coming onboard? I just feel like I’d never want to lug a traditional suitcase onboard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

GOOD FUCKING LORD! why are you bothering us with such minuscule pifling nonsense?

just go buy another bag for Christ’s sake and make sure this time it is of stout material and construction. then I’d bitch to CMA for the cheap gift bag they bestowed upon you for your 4 years there. did you get some nice designer fragrances in it?

besides why do you need a seabag when there are no jobs at sea anymore?

Tell me how you REALLY feel why don’t ya? haha

I figured this was the appropriate place to seek out a suggestion from those that have been doing this long enough to know what works best. You say “make sure this time it is of stout material and construction” yet it’s hard to know if somethings a hunk of junk without having either tried it personally or hearing testimony from others that have used it. Forgive me for valuing this communities opinion over the manufactures description. It’s not as if this is some life or death decision for me, but I wasn’t keen to waste money on something that wasn’t going to do the trick.

As for the jobs situation I’d have to agree.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Guper;194474]Tell me how you REALLY feel why don’t ya? haha [/QUOTE]

HAHA to you! when you have been here for a few years I’ll treat you with all due respect but until then you are a very small little fishy

[I]Go forth and get ye some canvas of stoute nature. And with it some good strong thread, of hemp gray. Fetch ye some wax from the hive of the honey bee and with this wax thy thread. Then marketh thy pattern with chalk of blue, follow ye lines of weave. With scissor sharp cut thy cloth. With a stout sail needle and leather palm, plenty of stiches make. With a bolt rope of manila finish thy bag then pack it all for sea.[/I]

It’s that simple.

(Sorry, used to work in an 18th C museum making shoes…)

Go to most any military surplus store and pick up a 2-Strap Military Duffle bag.

1 Like

you know, what’s the need for a new seabag anyway when any old bag will do…like this one

why go with canvas when you can have genuine leather?

I’ve been really happy with my Helly Hansen duffel bag. It’s heavy duty and practically water proof.

[ATTACH]4544[/ATTACH]

I use the largest north face bag I can get with wheels on it. Your arms and back will thank you the first time you have to carry all your stuff from the security gate at the dock to your boat a few hundred yards away.

well pifling of not, at least everyone seems to be diverted from “the Bugge’s” anti US and guns thread and that is a good thing for this forum

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;194477]Go to most any military surplus store and pick up a 2-Strap Military Duffle bag.[/QUote]

Two downsides…
#1, I’ve seen these regularly get “lost” when crew changing in foreign countries, never to be seen again.
#2, TSA still hasn’t figured out how to secure the top after counting your underwear.

I like the North Face duffel bags. I prefer the type without wheels, but I’m able to leave most of my stuff on the ship. The small size will work as carry-on while the medium size is borderline. They all come with removable backpack straps. They also come in a variety of colors to please your inner special snowflake and make it easier to spot on the baggage cart.

Practical and it will get you to crew change as well.

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions as well as the comedic relief!

I’m thinking a North Face bag might be the ticket although it’s hard to pass up the luggage scooter with the optional margaritaville attachment for those days when “I just can’t even”.

I gotta say the old bag leather is enticing, but I’d have to be sure she was humanely raised, conflict free, fed on an all organic non-GMO vegan diet and born and raised in the US of A.

Get something with wheels, you will get tired very quickly with bags that you have to carry.

I am on my fourth year of a Dakine rolling duffel which pretty much packs everything I need. www.sierratradingpost.com has a lot of bags on discount.

I got it half off at sierra. It holds up to a lot of abuse. Look around, check out product reviews, do some price comparisons and then buy.

Second the Dakine roller. They last for years.

[QUOTE=c.captain;194483]well pifling of not, at least everyone seems to be diverted from “the Bugge’s” anti US and guns thread and that is a good thing for this forum[/QUOTE]

Yes let’s make fun of old ladies that has to struggle because there is no social security net in stead. That is more important then discussing unimportant things like thousands of people being shot every year because of obsolete laws masquerading as “freedom”.

I agree with Salt’n steel; Helly Hanson bags are sturdy. Good Norwegian quality always manifests itself.
I was given an earlier version by Norsk Hydro back in 1990. It has been dragged all over the world by myself and later by my sons for years, but was finally retired last year. (I eventually resigned to have wheels on my bags some years ago)

I have to agree about having wheels - sometimes those walks to the ship can be brutal.

[QUOTE=Guper;194467]I graduated from Cal last year and they “gave” us a sea bag to use however mine is already ripped, but I do really enjoy the large duffel bag kind of design when I’m going out to sea or travelling. I tried doing a search on amazon and googled around a bit, but nothing popped out at me.

What are most people using when traveling to meet the ship or just coming onboard? I just feel like I’d never want to lug a traditional suitcase onboard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Hockey bags. Huge and durable. They come with wheels also.

1 Like

[QUOTE=ombugge;194499]That is more important then discussing unimportant things like thousands of people being shot every year because of obsolete laws masquerading as “freedom”. [/QUOTE]

it is all about the venue you have chosen…THIS IS THE WRONG ONE!

[QUOTE=Guper;194467]What are most people using when traveling to meet the ship or just coming onboard? I just feel like I’d never want to lug a traditional suitcase onboard.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

by Jove…I’ve got it for you!

what you need isn’t a new seabag but a steamer trunk

especially one suitably stocked with all the essentials any good seaman needs!