License Renewal (Medical Question)

Does the Coast Guard Medical exam include the lung test where you have to blow into peak flow meter machine? If you fail that and pass everything else can you still renew?
Thanks

It’s mostly a yes/no thing for normal or not, and ultimately the physician says “yes” recommend for duty, “not recommend,” or “needs further review.” Theoretically they’re just giving their opinion to the Cg who makes the decision. They can make you take certain tests to their satisfaction if you/physician indicate certain issues.

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;147978]Does the Coast Guard Medical exam include the lung test where you have to blow into peak flow meter machine? If you fail that and pass everything else can you still renew?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

The Uscg physical does not require The (spirometer,I think thats what its called) test.

If you have COPD or asthma, then the CG will require a pulmonary function test. You can check out the medical NVIC 04-08 at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/medical/default.asp that specifies all tests required for nearly all medical conditions. Take that with you to the Dr. so they know what to do and include with the physical. It WILL save you months of processing time if you have any medical conditions. I did that and had zero issues, where other people I work with ignored that advise and were out of work for months and going back and forth for this test, then that test, etc.

[QUOTE=Scottamatthews;147994]If you have COPD or asthma, then the CG will require a pulmonary function test. You can check out the medical NVIC 04-08 at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/medical/default.asp that specifies all tests required for nearly all medical conditions. Take that with you to the Dr. so they know what to do and include with the physical. It WILL save you months of processing time if you have any medical conditions. I did that and had zero issues, where other people I work with ignored that advise and were out of work for months and going back and forth for this test, then that test, etc.[/QUOTE]

Probably not. You should read that NVIC. A pulmonary function test is only required if you have needed emergency treatment for the asthma in the past two years.