LED Navigation lamps?

Does anyone have a source for LED navigation lamps like the below link? We need 120v for commercial vessels. Has anyone had any experience with these? I know they are common on recreational boats, but wondering if they can be applied to larger vessels.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/342339377/Navigation_LED_bulb_P28S_base_36.html

[QUOTE=silverbk;51171]Does anyone have a source for LED navigation lamps like the below link? We need 120v for commercial vessels. Has anyone had any experience with these? I know they are common on recreational boats, but wondering if they can be applied to larger vessels.
[/QUOTE]

What size boat?

Give these guys a call and tell them what you are looking for.

http://www.mcdermottlight.com/catalog/MarineLights.html

We just replaced our stern light and a couple of the harder-to-reach mast lights with LED. Eventually all of our lights will get switched over to LED. Be prepared to spend around $400 per light.

Over 50 m. 6,3,3,3,3.
Looking to find simple replacement bulbs with same 120v, 60w characteristics to swap out with perko (equivalent) bulbs.

120 foot uninspected (for the time being) tugs. I was looking for just the lamps or bulbs and not an investment in the entire fixture.

You should try www.doctorled.com we replaced some of those perko with led bulbs.

We run LED’s on the Miss Lis (tug). The only negative has been the stern light discolored the lens/housing and went from clear to amber of a sort…The vendor wasn’t that easy to deal with from what I heard from the Capt. that dealt with them. When I go back i will try to find out which brand it was and will post the info.

[QUOTE=rshrew;51205]You should try www.doctorled.com we replaced some of those perko with led bulbs.[/QUOTE]

How long did they last?

To be honest I’m not sure I think it’s been a year or so now on the boat we put them in. I’ll ask around and see how they are working out.

I’ve been testing a few lights for an upcoming gCaptain article. By far the best I’ve seen so far are Orca Marine’s lights: http://www.orcagreen.com/

While I haven’t tested the range yet… their lights are very bright, durable and they have custom options for larger vessels.

And, FYI, the site you linked to, Alibaba, lets you buy directly from Chinese (mostly) manufacturers. You can get great deals there (even start your own import/export business by purchasing items and resell them) but you have to buy in bulk. Just make sure you get samples of the product first… the quality can be poor.

Not all of those led’s have approval. Which is why we bit the bullet and bought the Aqua-Signal led fixture to replace a stern light incandescent fixture. Not sure if they make them yet in capacity suitable for larger vessels, but I bet they will be.

The problem w DRLED is they are all 12, 24 or 32 V. Then we have to change the whole system. It would be nice to get a simple 110V lightbulb to swap out in the current perko fixtures.

The more this is dug into, the more complicated it gets meeting the UL standards, but does that mean it actually has to pass UL examination to be approved?

These are what we switched to I think, i’ll ask our electrical guru Monday what he has to say.

http://www.aquasignal.info/aquasignal_us/htdocs/main.php?id=209

There has been a recent influx of LED replacement bulbs that have appeared on the market. They have been associated with Aqua Signal in an effort to replace our OE certified incandescent bulbs in our products. We are also fielding a significant number of calls from customers asking about these LED bulb replacements for our incandescent Navigation Lights.
Aqua Signal traditional navigational lights are approved and certified with original equipment incandescent bulbs only. Our products are subject to strict quality requirements during design and production. Aqua Signal developed and tested each one of our products to insure: color location, light distribution and brightness of the navigation lights to correspond to the specification of the classification societies. If one replaces the incandescent bulb with an LED bulb, the range of the light is reduced, in particular, as a result of low brightness and lack of light distribution. This can result in a significant reduction in safety for the boat and crew. Aqua Signal has done significant testing of many aftermarket LED bulbs on the market and none have met our strict quality requirements.
Aqua Signal would like to clearly state if any bulb not indicated in our catalog is used, the certificate for the light fixtures installed is no longer valid. All warranty claims for products which have been modified without our knowledge and without our agreement, will also be voided and rejected.

God Forbid you are in an accident and they can point to your no longer approved nav. lights as a contributing factor.

yes, the alibaba.com have many many LED Navigation lamps suppliers,you can go to check.

Those are 12/24V. And only 2 mile. We need 6 mile. It appears there is a lack of lumenosity in LEDs.

Gotcha, well it was worth a shot.

[QUOTE=rshrew;51367]Gotcha, well it was worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

That’s why the length of the boat is important … gotta read the fine print on those things.

That makes sense, we just changed out a bunch of the perkos for new led nav lights.