Leaving the industry

Well fellow sea creatures it’s been a good run, but I think my engineering skills have been on the decline and I need to start learning again. I had considered a drill rig or service engineer position, but an opportunity has opened up with a power plant. It sounds like a lot of responsibility and work. However it’s matching pay to my current job and I get to be home most nights which has become kinda important to me lately.

Stay safe out there and fear not I’ll still be lurking the forum. Also I’m going to put together a how-to on getting your Navy sea time counted. I have to dig up my notes so it will be a while.

1 Like

[QUOTE=exsubguy;114581]Well fellow sea creatures it’s been a good run, but I think my engineering skills have been on the decline and I need to start learning again. I had considered a drill rig or service engineer position, but an opportunity has opened up with a power plant. It sounds like a lot of responsibility and work. However it’s matching pay to my current job and I get to be home most nights which has become kinda important to me lately.

Stay safe out there and fear not I’ll still be lurking the forum. Also I’m going to put together a how-to on getting your Navy sea time counted. I have to dig up my notes so it will be a while.[/QUOTE]

Good luck. Put your licenses, etc. into continuity before they expire, so this doesn’t happen to you: http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-training-licensing/12480-license-renewal-questions.html#post114582

Good Luck on shore. Hope it works out for you. Stay safe in that plant.

Good luck to you, and definitely keep that license current! You never know what is around the corner.

And thanks for your contributions here.

Keep posting here! You contribute so much. Good luck in your new career.

Best of luck, I hope it works out great for you.

Congrats. Good luck. Hope to be there some day.

Congratulations on the power plant job!! Good luck and enjoy the time with your family! !

Don’t let leaving the industry keep you from posting. Your insight could be of great value to those that want or need to make a similar move in the future.

At 51 with 25 years in seagoing side, I start thinking what shoreside would be like. I’ve met a few who had a tough transition and came back to the ships. Good luck and hope it works out.

[QUOTE=exsubguy;114581]Well fellow sea creatures it’s been a good run, but I think my engineering skills have been on the decline and I need to start learning again. I had considered a drill rig or service engineer position, but an opportunity has opened up with a power plant. It sounds like a lot of responsibility and work. However it’s matching pay to my current job and I get to be home most nights which has become kinda important to me lately.

Stay safe out there and fear not I’ll still be lurking the forum. Also I’m going to put together a how-to on getting your Navy sea time counted. I have to dig up my notes so it will be a while.[/QUOTE]

You’ll be Back.

They always come back. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

It’s highly overrated. Take it from me.

Roger that, cat!

I did 8 months in the slammer (shore job). It was a factory with a bunch of bums who only looked out for themselves. Some were ok but most of the engineering staff who had been there for 15 plus years treated us new guys like dogs. I knew more than most of them but did not know the plant at first. Some dipshit bumped me off my 4th of July holiday because he had 2 more years seniority than me. I quit for sea on the 9th and will never go back . My boss was a former Alaska fishing boat guy told me when I gave him my notice “I wish I was going back to sea again too”.
I wish you better luck than I had.

Well I’m on week 2 and so far I’m having a good time.

Pros: I only have to wake up one time a day.
I get to drive my car more and at ridiculous speeds.
I’m busy and learning at a slightly slower pace than my driving.

Cons:
I accidentally cutoff one of the management types while driving ridiculously fast… But only got some good-natured grief for it.
I cannot remember all of the names or even fathom all the positions in the organization… there is a certain elegance to a shipboard muster.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;114584]Good luck. Put your licenses, etc. into continuity before they expire, so this doesn’t happen to you: http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-training-licensing/12480-license-renewal-questions.html#post114582[/QUOTE]

Good to know that I can be a shining example… :slight_smile:

Fair winds and following …amber seas of grain…

[QUOTE=exsubguy;116702]Well I’m on week 2 and so far I’m having a good time.

Pros: I only have to wake up one time a day.
I get to drive my car more and at ridiculous speeds.
I’m busy and learning at a slightly slower pace than my driving.

Cons:
I accidentally cutoff one of the management types while driving ridiculously fast… But only got some good-natured grief for it.
I cannot remember all of the names or even fathom all the positions in the organization… there is a certain elegance to a shipboard muster.[/QUOTE]

I like the first “Pro”. Of course once one gets a seasoned position, waking from the afternoon nap can count as two. . .

I do like the second “con”, too. When I first came ashore, it amazed me how many people it took to do things that one person would do at sea. It also took me awhile to understand how job not related to the shipping industry could be justified. Hell, I still have THAT problem. . .
I also like your comment about driving. I still remember getting back into a car after a long period at sea and having to get used to those ridiculous speeds. I still have that happen on occasion when I am out on a job offshore for an extended period.

In the long run, shoreside work won’t kill you, well at least not very quickly. At least I am in a position where I still work in and around seagoing equipment and personnel, and also get some time out for certain operations. It is also not too bad being onboard as a supernumerary. When onboard in that position, it took some time for me not to react when I heard an engine alarm going off, or the lights dimming/going out. . . .

There are some pretty cool shore jobs out there. For chief engineers and electricians, there are always great shore side opportunities and lots of them maritime related.

If you inclined to come ashore, the I shore side of the maritime industry works great. I’ve lived and worked in Asia, N and S America , Aus, NZ and Europe - all involving the maritime industry and seeing the coolest ships and facilities there are. Every day is interesting some how, and cmakin has an even better job.

The company where I work needs today 2 x electrical superintendents, a lead superintendent, a lead mechanic to run an mechanical - hydraulic shop, a lead Electrician to run the Electrical shop and a lead ET - all these shore jobs rotating 3 on / 3 off and paid 12 months.

1 Like