Shoreside opportunities?

How many opportunities are there out there for shoreside employment with the training taken from this industry? From what I hear, engineers are in dire need on both sides of the coin. Fuck, come to think about it… I remember talking to someone awhile back who worked engine a few years, and now he’s in a nuclear powerplant.

I’m sure a lot of you have families. How do I make myself available to them often? Tugs/osv seem to be 28 days on max which is still a lot, but better than deep sea 3-6 months on.

It really depends on what kind of and how much experience you have. There’s a huge variety. People with licenses can do almost anything in the industry. It just depends on where your interests lay, if you have the right skills, and making the right connections.

There are a number of folks whom spent some time out to sea as Marine Engineers and now work at the Grey Bruce power plant (nuke) in Ontario. To the above person’s note, I think it depends on what you’re looking for and what you’re willing to do to make it happen, i.e. pay, location, etc…

My gut tells me that you’ll initially be looking at less pay but are home every night type thing.

Good Luck!

My neck of the woods is big for ship repair and ship services- shipyards, engine and equipment repair, and other tech services. The Navy is here which is a big reason why. I work for a technical services company and my own job will be up for grabs once I land employment elsewhere. Comes with a company car, which I will miss. It’s up to you and what you want to do.

1 Like