Engineering advancement question

i currently have a few jobs, I am working as a deckhand on a ferry service to get sea time with the intent on getting my AB special and trying to pursue OSV work in the future. I was also a Machinist Mate in the US Navy at a shore based facility. Recently I was offered work at my company that cut back my deck hand hours to learn the maintenance side of things at the repair facility. My question is, would this experience be good and help me get a job as an engineer. (I assume yes) Secondly can I somehow combine my deckhand time with my shore based mechanic time to work to be a step above entry level engineer? I NEED to make 40k a year with all of my current financial obligations, I’m making a lot more than that now but working 3 jobs so my quality of life has suffered. . . is that a realistic salary for someone in the engineering rate? I’d be more than happy to work more than half on and half off. Ideally since I have no family at the moment i’d like to work a ton and make a lot of money. But wouldn’t everyone.

Just looking for advice, suggestions anything :slight_smile:

You need to compile ALL your seatime (Navy and Commercial) and figure out how soon you can sit for a license. Once you have a license you can make upwards of 60 to 70 on an even time schedule.

Some companies have assistant engineer positions.

Get a license first then start hunting. Get off the ferrys. They pay shit.

Just like cappy said above, but look into getting your QMED as well. Companies like the evil empire (Bouchard) will hire you as an Asst. Engineer. On an equal time schedule your yearly salary would be somewhere around $70k (give or take $5k) and you can use it as a stepping stone to upgrade into being licensed. Their changing the rules and regulations on us frequently and it’s making it harder and harder for someone who hasn’t attended a 4 year maritime academy to become licensed. I can see the advancement door being shut for hawsepipers soon enough. :frowning:

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;88842]Just like cappy said above, but look into getting your QMED as well. Companies like the evil empire (Bouchard) will hire you as an Asst. Engineer. On an equal time schedule your yearly salary would be somewhere around $70k (give or take $5k) and you can use it as a stepping stone to upgrade into being licensed. Their changing the rules and regulations on us frequently and it’s making it harder and harder for someone who hasn’t attended a 4 year maritime academy to become licensed. I can see the advancement door being shut for hawsepipers soon enough. :([/QUOTE]

Good suggestion on QMED. Most engine licenses require time as “or equivalernt to” QMED. Holding QMED will increase the likelihood that you deckineer time will be accepted towards this requirement. Some Navy time can also be used as equivaqlent to QMED.

I guess my question is more along the lines, can I get to QMED while doing repair and maintenance work on a land based yard. The type of engines i’d be working on run from 6 -16 cylinder from what I understand, Caterpillar and MTU primarily, all systems I’d be helping with from clogged toilets to tear downs and rebuilds. I thought this would be fantastic experience and knowledge that will help me in moving into being an engineering in either the OSV industry or Tug industry. I always thought I wanted to go deck but the truth is I love mechanical anything, I understand things and how they work, and it’s what I’ve done my whole life from building cars to being an engineer in the Navy. I have applied a lot and have gotten back a lot of positive responses, just the pay is WAY too low, or they can’t guarantee a full time, long term job.

I am working my ass off now and saving my ass off so I can start taking those part time jobs or term appointments and if they don’t keep me on have a safety net. (I also paid myself through college with no debt) so I don’t have debt but I also have no savings. . .

[QUOTE=tank3355;88959]I guess my question is more along the lines, can I get to QMED while doing repair and maintenance work on a land based yard. The type of engines i’d be working on run from 6 -16 cylinder from what I understand, Caterpillar and MTU primarily, all systems I’d be helping with from clogged toilets to tear downs and rebuilds. I thought this would be fantastic experience and knowledge that will help me in moving into being an engineering in either the OSV industry or Tug industry. I always thought I wanted to go deck but the truth is I love mechanical anything, I understand things and how they work, and it’s what I’ve done my whole life from building cars to being an engineer in the Navy. I have applied a lot and have gotten back a lot of positive responses, just the pay is WAY too low, or they can’t guarantee a full time, long term job.

I am working my ass off now and saving my ass off so I can start taking those part time jobs or term appointments and if they don’t keep me on have a safety net. (I also paid myself through college with no debt) so I don’t have debt but I also have no savings. . .[/QUOTE]

Question for ya, do you still have your GI Bill bennies? Have you looked into a commercial school program that can get you to QMED? You would have to take time off to do this, or work nights, but I believe most are GI bill approved.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/courses/default.asp

Oh, and start now to gather or obtain you records from the Navy. They can be a real PITA to deal with. Fortunately for me, I saved copies of my evals, schools, page 5s, other evidence of sea service etc b/c when I went to them recently for a sea service letter, they blew me off. Twice. You may not have the same issues but just be prepared.

Good luck!

I’m not an engineer but from what I’m learning on the rigs, you can transfer your skills and experience onto a rig and you don;t need to go get a QMED or any USCG license (yet). I hear rumors that will change but for now, that seems to me to be a great option. I’m trying to help a fried of mine (30 years as motorcycle mechanic) get out here and everyone out here tells me just get out here any way you can- galleyhand, roustabout, floorhand, etc and you’ll move up fast.
Just something you might want to look into if you haven;t already made your mind up to get on the boats. From what I hear, all these drilling companies need people and say they can’t find enough (it would help a lot if they would answer a phone call or email IMHO).