Latest on the Dali?

She’s been in Norfolk over 6 weeks. Looks like 3 tugs attending. One handles the crane, other 2 shuttle down the Elizabeth River, either scrap yard or cement recycle yard. One things sure, the jobs not going fast.

I passed her a few weeks ago. The pilots said the forward holds are full of leaked hazardous materials and the smell is pronounced on the surrounding docks. I would imagine that is causing some delays. No one could tell me what the plan is for her though.

They’re still unloading pieces of containers and shit from her two forward holds. Smells god awful down there. Hear she’s gonna sail to some foreign yard for repairs. I’m sure they’ll rename her snd she’ll keep on trading.

I guess they can’t patch her up until all the debris is taken out. Damaged containers with mixed cargo some haz and toxic is very hard to get rid of. What a mess.

I cannot understand why the cargo is not unloaded and forwarded.

According to this article from today’s Maritime Executive News, they have:

Nearly five months after the fatal allision of the containership Dali with Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge, offloading of the vessel has been completed in Norfolk, Virginia.

https://maritime-executive.com/article/dali-completes-offloading-containers-as-salvage-operation-continues

No doubt Force Majeure was declared right away. It means contract of carriage termination due to circumstances beyond vessels control. Cargo delivered to nearest safe location.

The cargo is probably being held for the General Average claims. Insurance will bond some of it out. Some consignees will pay cash. Most of the cargo is probably being held.

General Average for sure, terminals don’t like GA involvement. Cargo sits for a very long time often abandoned. Chances of collecting full handling and storage fees minimal while it’s cluttering a terminal that needs throughput to handle volume. Acceptance probably to accommodate major carriers who issued the bills of lading.

Latest from Sal:

2 Likes

I don’t know where he heard it from but an electrical engineer that I know mentioned that a electrical breaker failed while the inspectors were present very resonantly. It may have b een in some trade publication other than marine.

1 Like
1 Like

A bill introduced into the US House of Representatives last month aims to make the owners of the Dali pay up to 10 times more for the damage the ship caused when it crashed into the bridge.
END QUOTE

Is it 10 x estimated damage cost or 10 x their(owners) limitation? .

437 mil usd looks to me as the later.