Kirby or Crosby?

I have a buddy, former shipmate, who has just been offered some options to escape the oil patch On his DDE ticket.

He asked my advice - I don’t know much about either, but for some reason have a better feeling about Kirby.

Anyone know if day rates at either are ATO, or strictly the 21 days on (@ Kirby, for instance).

It doesn’t sound like anyone offered him anything if he doesn’t know how they plan on paying him. I think the best advice for him would be to take any job he can get before they figure out he is too dimwitted to retain any information they gave him along with their offer. Every job offer ive ever had was always followed with " Do you have any questions?". That’s the time to ask these questions. I realize that sounds a bit harsh, but seriously, if someone offers you a job and you don’t bother to get the particulars straight from the horses mouth when the opportunity arises, that’s what you get.

[QUOTE=snacktray;161064]It doesn’t sound like anyone offered him anything if he doesn’t know how they plan on paying him. I think the best advice for him would be to take any job he can get before they figure out he is too dimwitted to retain any information they gave him along with their offer. Every job offer ive ever had was always followed with " Do you have any questions?". That’s the time to ask these questions. I realize that sounds a bit harsh, but seriously, if someone offers you a job and you don’t bother to get the particulars straight from the horses mouth when the opportunity arises, that’s what you get.[/QUOTE]

Okay, well … more assclownish than harsh. And singularly unhelpful. I don’t know all the information he has, but he thought I might have some he did not. I thought maybe some of the towing professionals here might have something useful to say.

Ask an assclown question, get an assclown answer. Hows that for useful advice?

Here is some more useful advice for your friend; When someone offers you a job, open your fucking ears and ask questions to clear up any confusion, because if you don’t you look like an ass(clown) asking about it later. Most job descriptions for a licensed position will include a statement along the lines of " must be able to understand and execute orders". That means if they tell you something, they expect you to retain it, and if you don’t get it, you will ask questions and clear it up right then and there.

So if you want company policies, get it from the company.

And if you just want info on work environment, then ask for that. I can kind of help there. Kirby is huge, all over the country. Some of their east coast stuff is rumored to be junky though ive never seen it, some of the west coast stuff ive seen actually looks pretty nice. I feel they are the bigger company since ive never heard of the other, and the bigger company generally offers more stability, so if the pay is comparable and the rotation sounds good, that would be my choice.

I would especially take the position as FAR AWAY from the oil patch as possible, just to have it on my resume. When I was poking around for work in seattle, I spoke to a few companies that mentioned they had received several applications from people coming from the oil patch, and that’s all they had to offer for experience, and the companies were not interested in that type of background. Not trying to stir the pot against the oil patch guys, I was there looking for work too, its just what Ive seen first hand with the NW companies, so a diverse work history would be great for the future.

More helpful. Thanks. Yeah, I agree about getting away from the bayou …

If he can go WITH kirby on east coast he should. Tortoise before the hare, but it will be a steady check with a steady boat before long. Maybe some shit equipment but if he does his job well things will get fixed in due course.

If i had to pick one i would say Kirby. I dont know which division your buddy is talking too, but last i knew NYC/RTBU for licensed eng was around 490-505 because then you would have to figure in the retarted “senority” pay scheme. Crosby has boats stacked, and has sold 6-7 boats that i know of since the fall. Who ever writes up the vessel specs for the crosby website needs to be slapped. When a boat heads south does the horsepower double or triple ??? Or is this some new form of coonass math equation i havent seen ?

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;161075] Who ever writes up the vessel specs for the crosby website needs to be slapped. When a boat heads south does the horsepower double or triple ??? Or is this some new form of coonass math equation i havent seen ?[/QUOTE]

I have always wondered the same thing. They must add up the HP on everything including the motor on the Galley Water Fountain.

Some of those rustbuckets couldn’t handle half of the bollard pull they advertise! “Yeah man I got 5,000,000,000 HP and 1,000,000,000,000,000 lbs bollard pull, but this old girl’s winch and dog-chain cable only be rated for 50ton, ain’t but a thing (spits tobacco juice on your boots)”

15,000 HP with 2-1/4" wire but only burns 250 GPH hooked up…maybe pony-power. No way you’re getting 7,000 with a pair of 16-645’s, never-mind 15,000

Machinery
Main Engines (2) EMD 16-645E7
Horsepower 15,000 hp
Gears (2) Reintjes WAV 3400 5:1 Ratio
Propellers (2) 4-Blade; 120 in. x 124.8 in.
Kort Nozzles (2) Yes
Primary Generators (2) 99kw 440 V 60 hz
Driven By GM 8V-71
Bow Thruster (1) 350 hp
Driven By GM 12V-71
Thrust (Max) 4 st
Performance
Speed vs Fuel Consumption
Maximum 13 knots / 248 gph
Cruising 11 knots / 186 gph
Range @ 11 Knts 10,030 nm
Bollard Pull 98 st

Everybody knows you square the horsepower when you add kort nozzles…

[QUOTE=txh2oman;161061]I have a buddy, former shipmate, who has just been offered some options to escape the oil patch On his DDE ticket.

He asked my advice - I don’t know much about either, but for some reason have a better feeling about Kirby.

Anyone know if day rates at either are ATO, or strictly the 21 days on (@ Kirby, for instance).[/QUOTE]

the west coast boats are non union…if there is ATO involved, I’ve only heard of that with union contracts…not saying that ATO doesn’t exist non-union…it may.

[QUOTE=Tugs;161079]I have always wondered the same thing. They must add up the HP on everything including the motor on the Galley Water Fountain.[/QUOTE]

I was told by a bayou tug salesman that companies typically add 30% to their HP figures if it has Kort Nozzles. And they do have a crazy formula that they all seem to use for HP ratings.

A few years back I was in a meeting with a major oil company and Crosby had a few representatives. Somehow the topic of tug HP came up and the moderator asked the Crosby guys to explain this formula. He turned bright red, chuckled and said he would have to defer that to someone else. I even got a kick out of it.

[QUOTE=z-drive;161086]Some of those rustbuckets couldn’t handle half of the bollard pull they advertise! “Yeah man I got 5,000,000,000 HP and 1,000,000,000,000,000 lbs bollard pull, but this old girl’s winch and dog-chain cable only be rated for 50ton, ain’t but a thing (spits tobacco juice on your boots)”

15,000 HP with 2-1/4" wire but only burns 250 GPH hooked up…maybe pony-power. No way you’re getting 7,000 with a pair of 16-645’s, never-mind 15,000[/QUOTE]

I would believe 7000 for the 16 cylinder pair, but not 15,000, they’re smoking something

We have the 12 cyl. versions on a couple of ours, 2400 hp for the pair

[QUOTE=z-drive;161086]Some of those rustbuckets couldn’t handle half of the bollard pull they advertise! “Yeah man I got 5,000,000,000 HP and 1,000,000,000,000,000 lbs bollard pull, but this old girl’s winch and dog-chain cable only be rated for 50ton, ain’t but a thing (spits tobacco juice on your boots)”

15,000 HP with 2-1/4" wire but only burns 250 GPH hooked up…maybe pony-power. No way you’re getting 7,000 with a pair of 16-645’s, never-mind 15,000[/QUOTE]

This is when you need the H2 aliens meme ‘nozzles’ or ‘horsepower’

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=catherder;161098]I would believe 7000 for the 16 cylinder pair, but not 15,000, they’re smoking something

We have the 12 cyl. versions on a couple of ours, 2400 hp for the pair[/QUOTE]
16-645 E7 paired is 6140. 16-645-E6 is 4200. Im on an 8-710G thats 2k each in the corner. i would love to walk around the Danielle Bouchards E/R, 20-710’s. Down in the gulf maybe the parts are easier to get but we have played hell getting 710 parts.
Do you think crosby adds the inflated HP #'s on the seatime letter ? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;161206]16-645 E7 paired is 6140. 16-645-E6 is 4200. Im on an 8-710G thats 2k each in the corner. i would love to walk around the Danielle Bouchards E/R, 20-710’s. Down in the gulf maybe the parts are easier to get but we have played hell getting 710 parts.
Do you think crosby adds the inflated HP #'s on the seatime letter ? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that happens anywhere and if they actually get away with it? What do you suppose?? lol

ha ha what does jeaux bawws say about this? Now that we have a resident expert.

They need to add a portion to the website that states “shaft hp” not gulf power rating lol hp

This is the first I’ve seen “oil industry rated horsepower”. 4,750 Bhp &10,000 hp class.

[ATTACH]4227[/ATTACH]

So basically you can say BHP is =/< 1/2 GOM horsepower? Fair assessment so far.

Best so far is the 12,000 GHP boat with a pair of 3516’s