Just asking

+1 man, like it or not, you are being tested. It will all work out in the end.

I’ll be looking for a new job soon enough myself, and I’ve got a new baby coming next week. Keep the faith man, just be persistent.

Sent from my SeaPhone using gCaptain.

Ok thanks guys I will and congrats on the new coming

Crawdaddy,

It’s a volunteer position, but it may get you on a ship and some sailing experience.

Contact Information: Tracey Bartula Technical Staffing and Recruitment Manager 903-939-7685 tracey.bartula@mercyships.org

Good luck

thanks so much for that, but I cant ok for 600 dollars a month, would be nice though

Try Kirby and Higman out of Houston, they seem to hire alot of guys. Ill post their numbers for ya in a second, gotta find them. Chin up brother, something will happen for you.

Hards marine 1-800-424-4566
Blessey 504-734-1156
Kirby 1-888-988-6926
Florida marine 985-629-2082.
Thats off the top of my head, if you pm or msg me ill email you a huge list (bout .14 pages) of companies and their phone numbers. I would start at number 1 and call your way down the list. Then if you get no bites start at the top again.

Anyone know if Edison Chouest, Hornbeck or SEACOR are hiring Ab’s (with RFPNW, ARPA, STCW-BST, Lifeboatman, Radar Unlim. etc)? I am giving up on talking with a recruiter by phone or E-mail. It’s been 20 years since I left the industry, but am retiring from this job, and plan on going back to sea. It’s only a 12 hr drive (740 miles) for me to La., but I guess that is the only way to get the application and talk with one of them. Any and all answers appreciated.

Your best bet is probably to drive down to Raceland and stay at A Chateau on the Bayou for a few days while you go door to door until someone hires you. You should pick up some good info from the owner and the other mariners staying at A Chateau about who is hiring.

It takes a boots on the ground approach to get hired in the Gulf.

Everyone is hiring. Just a heads up though, bring every scrap of paper you have. I recently was trying to get a friend hired on as AB unlimited. His MMC is fully endorsed with all the Roman numerals for his rate. They will not hire him because he doesn’t have all the original certificates. He took his BST in 2003 and the “school” is no longer in business. He had the CG send him copies of what was in his file but due to Katrina his file is less than complete. I was told they want original documents from all STCW related training. Apparently when working down in Brazil the local coast guard or whatever doesn’t take our coast guards word for anything.

Now, my best friend of 8 yrs and 2 wonderful daughters are gone, I cant even get a day labor job cause they say im over qualified, and every company I talk to they want a os with experience or im waiting, im not mad or anything, just really need some prayers don’t mean to come on here and vent its, just really therapeutic for me

Have you tried some of the smaller boat companies, aka “100 ton” companies. I know you’ve spoke with Nicky at ECO but as you are finding out, it is a hard place to get on…especially as an OS. Most OS are family of long time capts, engineers, ect. Nicky’s hands are often tied as these “favors” are expected.

Have you hit
Abdon Callais
Odyssea
Adriatic
GIS
International
Bordelon
REC
C/E (cheramie)
Bo Truc
Supreme

Some of these are good companies with good boats, some are not as desirable but get you in the industry. For example, I started at International running 30 yr old utility boats and worked my way up to ECO.

Hope it all works out for you, and soon!

[QUOTE=rigdvr;70918]Have you tried some of the smaller boat companies, aka “100 ton” companies. I know you’ve spoke with Nicky at ECO but as you are finding out, it is a hard place to get on…especially as an OS. Most OS are family of long time capts, engineers, ect. Nicky’s hands are often tied as these “favors” are expected.

Have you hit
Abdon Callais
Odyssea
Adriatic
GIS
International
Bordelon
REC
C/E (cheramie)
Bo Truc
Supreme

Some of these are good companies with good boats, some are not as desirable but get you in the industry. For example, I started at International running 30 yr old utility boats and worked my way up to ECO.

Hope it all works out for you, and soon![/QUOTE]

RIGDVR has called it on the money. I remember when I worked at Moran, the office said they had 50 applicatons for every OS slot, The OS slots went to family/friends of personnel already hired.

Your best option is the smaller 100 ton companies, Try International Boats out of Larose LA. Within the last two weeks I know two people who could not get a relief because International is short deck hands. You do not have to start out as a OS, you can move from unlisc deckhand direct to AB or 100 ton mate. Or you can go from unlisc engineer direct to low hp DDE.

International is considered a starter company, Starter companies normally have some kind of drawback to them, mostly low pay, but sometimes work enviroment. In any case starter companys allow you to get the experiance you need.

The best way to get a job with a starter company is face time. The face time process has already been mentioned here. Get all your paperwork together, steel toe boots, the clothes and gear needed for a 4 week hitch, and start knocking on doors up and down Bayou Lafouche. If you are ready to go to work, odds you will find someone to hire you. But unless you have family/friends contacts, sending in applications will not normally get you a job. Short on money?, sleep in your car, I along with many of us did this in the beginning. I do not know if they are hiring, but I got my start with Candy Fleet out of Morgan City, They had thier issues, but hey it was a start.

Good luck
Ocean31

Praying for you man, keep your head up. Stay persistent in the job hunt, don’t hesitate to call back companies you interviewed with/applied to. They should know you by name and face. Make them want to hire you just so you’ll quit calling!

Hes right. I work for Moran and the only ones who get the few and far between job are friends or family of personnel. It makes for a tight knit group though. Good luck!