Jackup Seacor Power Capsized

The water is cold there and survival suits are not required though I hope Seacor had them available.

Probability of survival suits is close to zero. About the only chance is if they came from another place that required them.

@KPChief has a great post here, scroll down to read it about what a lift boat is and does.

Those who know and any other mariner can see (obviously) that these unique boats are frequently seen all over the GOM, are a bit odd in design and construction but serve a specific purpose.

But as the article states, “crews have to be aware of weather all the time” and I must assume any man/woman employed as a Captain aboard these special rigs likely already knows that. How many more times do one of these things have to roll over before people learn to take EXTRA precaution before getting underway??

We all constantly bring up the SMS plans regarding past accidents everywhere. Does SEACOR have an SMS program in place? Did the vessel have a pre-departure crew meeting and discussion about weather and transit out to work site? I appreciate the weather was some unique burst incident, but right up to the moment they were finished loading materials/cargo and making final preparations to get underway, did the Captain
and/or Chief Mate take a look at the forecast at all? Was this a complete surprise to everyone in the area?

I can’t help but wonder about the same old conflict … Captain knew what was going on but was under pressure by owner or charterer to get going ASAP and get on site for assigned work, or else we’ll find somebody who will go right now, if you won’t.

Why are “lessons learned” never learned?

2 Likes

Many moons ago there was a class for mariners to upgrade to 500 tons in Jacksonville. It was after Thanksgiving if I remember correctlly. My bride had unsuccessfully rescued a windsurfer on the Outer Banks prior to the course. She went with me to Jax shortly after that event. A certain company (Not Crowley) was trying to sail a container barge in rotten weather. Captain said no effing way. Response was.“If you won’t sail we willl find somebody that will”. This young cowboy they chose broke his tow just as he cleared the jetty. It grounded just in front of the hotel we were staying at, which ironically was the USCG staging area. Saw the port captain at dinner a few times, he offered me a job on the Gulf Majesty, a rather impressive tug at the time, I told him I was happy where I’m at. We all know where Gulf Majesty ended up. Another example of pressure to sail.

3 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Off-Topic

A Talos statement said the vessel’s owner, Houston-based Seacor Marine, was in command and made the decision to depart Port Fourchon for a Talos platform near the mouth of the Mississippi River. At the time, the National Weather Service was warning of tropical storm-force winds and “suddenly higher waves” in the Gulf. Three hours after the jackup barge set out, it toppled in even stronger winds eight miles south of port.

Wouldn’t put my life or that of my crew’s for any “company”. I’ll keep my license and go find work somewhere’s else. Most dispatchers don’t know much about stability and I’ve seen a few instances about getting the boat loaded and off the the rig or they’ll find someone else who’ll do it. Pathetic.

2 Likes

Sadly it seems as if the number fatalities from this incident may equal those of the Deepwater Horizon.
Until CEOs are frog marched off to prison this will continue as it has for many years.

4 Likes

I have been amazed at the lack of information out out about this casualty and frankly the lack of even interest by the general public, vessel operators, oilfield operators, and the CG.

3 Likes

Aerial photos of the incident

A lot of heartbreak.

@jbtam99 - Trying to keep this thread tight on topic. If someone wants to start a new thread on that topic I’ll shift the flagged post over to the new thread.

Hate like hell to say it, this is a “recovery” mission at this time. Hope they find them all. Have seen a few mariners get lost in our old fleet. Thank God not on my rig, but always hard on everyone.

2 Likes

Surely at least GCaptain the voice of the mariner could at least paraphrase the difference in rescue and recovery. The headline is typical clickbait as in the USCG is saying “fuck it it they’re all dead” and is simply going back to fixing buoys and harassing trawlers. Has the CG just walked away from this? That’s how a lot of people who Googled they’re way to the article will read it.

If you worked the oil field You would know how much pressure the Captain is under by the Rig company man to move into the rig to load or unload even in bad weather, It is well known that the Company man will send boats back to shore and order another boat that “can do the job” Thus the captain being fired by his/her company .

This was not USCG fault. Those fellows have been on the site from the start hoping to find people. Rather harsh crticism of their efforts the past few days and others mariner outfits helping. We all know the difference between rescue and recovery. Cheap shot at gcaptain. Most of us sadly know the odds after this long.

1 Like

The statement from Talos about the unit being “fully under the command…” of Seacor/vessel Master was telling to me. Maybe I see too many bad intentions in other people but the timing sure seems odd. Trying to deflect, perhaps?

My heart breaks for the families and crew. Just outside of Fourchon and right there where, in good wx, you can see the sheds at C-Port, cranes, radio masts…so tragic.

I am not trying to point fingers now when grieving and rememberence should be primary but this investigation needs to be thorough and a deep dig into how dispatchers and company men pressure vessel captains to keep moving.

4 Likes

In this clip the client passes to Seacor and Captain.

In this one (scroll down to video) (skip to 6:50 and especially at 10:58) Seacor makes it clear in their minds - Captain’s decision.

Hoping the NTSB doesn’t swallow that whole.

2 Likes

From what I understand the CG has had their own boats capsize with coasties going into the water also, it sounds like everyone was quickly recovered with no injuries. I think the CG is/was doing everything in their power to rescue the crew.

4 Likes

Phone records, IM and emails have been deleted. Time for a polygraph test, though not admissible it would speed up the investigation. Of course I said the same thing after Macondo, El Faro etc. even though I knew it was wishful thinking. Seacor’s insurers will pay some money out, the investors will pay for whatever legal expenses aren’t covered by the insurer and life goes on for Seacor. The entire matter is just a deductible business expense.

1 Like

When Captain decides not to sail… How much support then??? Effing kidding me right?