Jackup Seacor Power Capsized

Anyone else hear about a Seacor jackup sinking in Grand Isle today? I’ve been working on the West coast so definitely out of the loop…but one of my friends I stay in touch with said he heard a S&R is taking place for 18 crew with only 7 recovered so far.
Hoping for the best.

The vessel is the Seacor Power

Large boat capsizes south of Grand Isle, rescue operations underway | wwltv.com

Wow

What does this thing look like when it’s upright? Anyone have a photo?

From MarineTraficimage

2 Likes
1 Like

Looking at that photo, it appears that she was underway. Probably didn’t have time to jack down.

1 Like

‘Seacor Power’, data sheet by SEACOR >>>

Wouldn’t have left the dock with that forecast and that type of vessel… Too much shoreside pressure again. Been there.

5 Likes

Interesting design with the leg mounted cranes. Comparing the storm photo to the Spec photo I see no crane on that exposed leg. I wonder if they were previously removed or whether being upside-down caused unplanned dismounting.

1 Like

Distress…hehe. A new euphemism for capsize? I was always a little leery of those things. I never applied for a job, but I had thought about it before.

Thoughts and prayers for the crew and their family. I used to work for Seabulk which is now Seacor.

Indeed. Not much in the way of updates besides the unfortunate news of one deceased, search continuing for 12 still missing. Does anyone know if the weather improved?

Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Jonathan Lally told local news that there were “multiple vessels hit” off the coast in the same burst of bad weather that impacted the Seacor Power.

“We expected some winds and possible rains, but nothing as extensive as what took place on the coastal areas of Jefferson Parish,” local Councilman Ricky Templet told the Times-Picayune.

In 2014 I Worked on a supply boat alongside her supporting the Jack up Rig the Rowan 3 doing a 6 month contract , I knew the construction crew would live on her, But i didn’t think that they rode on it. I always thought the construction crew went back and forth on Crew boats.

My first big claim as an adjuster was for a liftboat casualty. I forget the particulars now (over 20 years ago), but I do remember that the legs were extended because we had to cut them. I also remember the derrick barge that was initially mobilized struck a platform on the way. . . Had another one off of the south Texas Coast. Both involved heavy weather. No casualties directly from the incident in either, but a member of the salvage team on one of them was killed.

3 Likes

I think the crane was removed in port for some reasons; the ship’s main capabilities could remain without this crane. However, I had never seen a similar ship at work…

The crane is not fixed on the legs, but on a second tube around the leg, itself fixed on the ship’s deck. This second tube is visible on the capsized vessel.
Only the crane’s position around the leg permits a 360°-turn of the boom.

1 Like
4 Likes