Is the furlough an equal employment opportunity issue?

Based on political affiliation (5USC 2302 germane). Not in the democrat versus republican or the left versus right affiliation but in terms of political access that leads to a presidential appointment.
Polical appointees who are not classified as career senior executive service employees are in most cases exempt from the current fulough. You’ll find little mention in MSC EEO literature on discrimination based on political affiliation. Apparently foreign nationals might also be exempt from furlough, so it must still be important to keep foreign nationals well paid.
I’m soliciting thoughts from fellow civmars past and present.
And by the by. Anyone notice how quickly the Norfolk Naval Station is becoming run down and unkempt. Didn’t sailors used to cut that grass? Anyone out there with a few spare sheep?
Mr. Slack.

How many political appointees and foreign nationals are working at MSC? I think sailors only cut grass in boot camp or while living at the brig.

No the E-2’s assigned to naval sta Norfolk cut grass just like any other base

Hey Slacker, I’m happy to say that Today is my Last day as a Federal Employee! Equal Opportunity you ask??? I’m leaving this position because of the political B.S. thats been happening in Washington for the past 3 years. I’m tired of having my paycheck hinge around the roller coaster of our government. This Furlough is Bullshit!!! It’s just enough to push me over the edge and tender my resignation. I actually submitted a Request for Exemption to the Furlough. My Generals response was, basically, Suck It Up! We’re all in this together and we’re all going to hurt together! To which my only response is Screw You! I’m OUT OF HERE!!!

I take comfort in knowing that as I’m losing a $1,000 a month, all of those welfare payments are sent out and food stamps don’t stop. Millionaires and Billionares pay more??? Yeah right! Me and You are paying for it…

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;116135]How many political appointees and foreign nationals are working at MSC? I think sailors only cut grass in boot camp or while living at the brig.[/QUOTE]

MSC does not hire foreign nationals but the federal government does. The grass is still growing. I can hear it.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Wrench;116202]Hey Slacker, I’m happy to say that Today is my Last day as a Federal Employee! Equal Opportunity you ask??? I’m leaving this position because of the political B.S. thats been happening in Washington for the past 3 years. I’m tired of having my paycheck hinge around the roller coaster of our government. This Furlough is Bullshit!!! It’s just enough to push me over the edge and tender my resignation. I actually submitted a Request for Exemption to the Furlough. My Generals response was, basically, Suck It Up! We’re all in this together and we’re all going to hurt together! To which my only response is Screw You! I’m OUT OF HERE!!!

I take comfort in knowing that as I’m losing a $1,000 a month, all of those welfare payments are sent out and food stamps don’t stop. Millionaires and Billionares pay more??? Yeah right! Me and You are paying for it…[/QUOTE]

Your General was not losing 20 percent of his paycheck. so its easier for him to “suck it up”.

Am I the only one who likes the furlough? I spend enough time at work and sea. This mandatory no-work thing is awesome. I have a guilt-free day off where my department head won’t even let me sneak a peek at my e-mails. Ships movement? Nope, stay on shore. Bunkering? Not if its furlough.

I’m sorry for anyone who is hurt by furlough but at least this guy thinks its great.

Spoke to a guy today who isn’t too worried about the 20% loss cause he already draws a Navy pension and now that everyone is focused on losing their 20% some deal may be worked out where as long as they can find additional ways to cut military spending that that employees might not lose all 11 days this fiscal year.
To me it sounds like a long overdue process to reign in an out of control government employee and military service member take over.

I had the same opinion of the overtime limit when I was on the cruise ship. Guaranteed beach time from budget constraints is awesome.

[QUOTE=Tugted;116200]No the E-2’s assigned to naval sta Norfolk cut grass just like any other base[/QUOTE]

E-2s assigned to shore duty!? Blasphemy! They should be at sea… (but I know it happens otherwise)

In case anyone cares, furlough FAQs here: http://civmar.sealiftcommand.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/FAQ-ADMNISTRATIVE-FURLOUGH.pdf

Read 18.A.1: “The formula for the number of furlough hours that must be scheduled and taken is: the number of leave and/or training hours subject to furlough multiplied by 0.20 (rounded down to nearest whole hour).”

So lets try it!

Johnny is a sailor on leave and/or training four days, Monday threw Thursday. Therefore Johnny will take 4 x 0.20 days furlough, 0.80 days.

Jane is a federal worker. She works four days, Monday threw Thursday. Therefore Jane will take 4 x 0.20 days furlough, 1.00 days.

Er, wait a sec… anyone got a calculator?

[QUOTE=DeckApe;116263]Read 18.A.1: “The formula for the number of furlough hours that must be scheduled and taken is: the number of leave and/or training hours subject to furlough multiplied by 0.20 (rounded down to nearest whole hour).”

So lets try it!

Johnny is a sailor on leave and/or training four days, Monday threw Thursday. Therefore Johnny will take 4 x 0.20 days furlough, 0.80 days.

Jane is a federal worker. She works four days, Monday threw Thursday. Therefore Jane will take 4 x 0.20 days furlough, 1.00 days.

Er, wait a sec… anyone got a calculator?[/QUOTE]

You forgot to include the 20 percent tip.

I like some aspects of this. Namely the long weekends. But not quite enough to offset the monetary loss. And as I’ve said before, I’m no stranger to having MSC arbitrarilly place me in a leave without pay status or refuse to pay sick leave or charge me leave while attending a course… If I didn’t have so many years tied in to the place I’d have walked away before now.

[QUOTE=Slacker;116296]I like some aspects of this. Namely the long weekends. But not quite enough to offset the monetary loss. And as I’ve said before, I’m no stranger to having MSC arbitrarilly place me in a leave without pay status or refuse to pay sick leave or charge me leave while attending a course… If I didn’t have so many years tied in to the place I’d have walked away before now.[/QUOTE]

I knew one guy in the eighties who left MSC and shipped MEBA for a year and a half. He was waiting around the San Francisco union hall and MSC sent him a “Return to work by Monday or you are Fired” notice. He didn’t think he still had a job there as he left the place 1 1/2 years earlier. He went back to work for MSC and got promoted to 1st engineer then quit after his bank account was resupplied.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;118297]I knew one guy in the eighties who left MSC and shipped MEBA for a year and a half. He was waiting around the San Francisco union hall and MSC sent him a “Return to work by Monday or you are Fired” notice. He didn’t think he still had a job there as he left the place 1 1/2 years earlier. He went back to work for MSC and got promoted to 1st engineer then quit after his bank account was resupplied.[/QUOTE]
went to new employee orientation with a guy who was rehired after quitting two years prior. he had put in a ship to ship transfer request just before quitting. we shipped out, after two months as a re-hire, he got his ship to ship transfer. msc, the possiblities are endless.

I knew a guy in the 80’s that wanted a leave of absence in order to start a landscaping business. His idea was that if the business didn’t take off he could come back in a year or so. Msc said nope, we don’t do that so he left. After two years he got sick of the landscaping business. He makes his way back to the office and upon walking up to the detailer’s desk is greeted with open arms. Seems they never knew he left. So, he takes a ship and heads black out to sea once more. ( I think he also got paid for a lot of the time he was gone). Hell, in the 80’s and even the early 90’s there were pool sitters that never went anywhere.