Is it possible to work as an offshore-electronic engineer?

Hello, I’m a 25-year-old Italian who has just graduated with a Master’s degree in Electronic Engineering from university.

I have absolutely no experience working at sea or offshore — literally zero. However, I’m very interested in starting a career in the offshore industry.

Would it be possible for someone with my background and no previous offshore experience to get an entry-level position? If so, what steps, certifications, or training should I complete to become eligible?

Also, where would you recommend looking for offshore jobs, and what kind of salary could I realistically expect at the beginning?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

From an ignorant perspective on what exactly an engineering degree would do, I’d say you should start with a merchant mariner license, find employment and start from the bottom up getting sea time.

You might love or hate the merchant mariner life