How much experience is needed to land an offshore Etech postition?

First off let me say I appreciate you all considering this question. I am also curious as to which companies are to be avoided and which are good. I would also like to know what certifications would be helpful to my job search.I have an AAS in Electronics and am currently working in the oilfield onshore as an Etech with the busiest oilfield service company in West Texas. I have almost two years experience as of today, most of which is as a field tech. I am experienced in electrohydraulics, instrumentation and controls, and currently work on cementing, fracturing and coilled tubing equipment. I also have equipment networking experience (JLAN). I am also certified in fiber optics with the ETA, and have the CET certification from ISCET. I am also hold a GROL license with the Radar endorsement, and the GMDSS Maintainer’s license, although I have no formal experience working on radios. I am planning on getting a passport and applying for a TWIC card in the near future.Is there any other certifications that I need to get my foot in the door? How much more experience do I need to be a viable candidate? Thanks, Paul

Not sure which area you are looking at getting into, but the oil companies are looking for ET’s. I know many on here will balk at this but Noble will give you a chance. Pacific Drilling is also looking for ET’s. You can go on Rigzone and search for Electronics Technician and then submit resume to who ever looks good to you.

[QUOTE=Wrecker3;115154]Not sure which area you are looking at getting into, but the oil companies are looking for ET’s. I know many on here will balk at this but Noble will give you a chance. Pacific Drilling is also looking for ET’s. You can go on Rigzone and search for Electronics Technician and then submit resume to who ever looks good to you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am looking to get into offshore drilling. It kind of makes sense to me to go that route since I am currently working in the oil and gas field, and the equipment and environment that it is used in is pretty interesting to me. I’ve already got an idea about some of the processes and equipment used in offshore work. The company that I work for manufactures quite a bit of it in Oklahoma. Mainly they are manufacturing pumps and blending equipment on skids to be used on frac boats. They also manufacture a little bit of cementing equipment for offshore use as well. One of our techs went to work for Noble and he sings their praises, but I didn’t know what to think. He has a way of embellishing things.

Hornbeck Offshore is also looking for ETOs for their 24 new builts coming out in the next couple of years.

But to your question you should aslo get an MMC (Merchant Mariner Credentials).

STCW. Hornbeck is definitely looking for ETOs. Automation and electronics

As PR-9 stated, get your MMC, TWIC and go after it. Theres a new world order out there for ETOs.

For your STCW take the 5 day course BST.

I’ll be redundant and echo the last few posts because they are right! PM me if you want more details on ETO’s.

I won’t say that Noble is the best out here, but they gave me a chance and I am happy at the end of the month when my pay is deposited. The new hire process will get you thru STCW and also HUET. All required training is provided. I will not profess to know what HOS pays ETO’s but I do know that Noble pays better. I work with a former HOS ETO.
The schedules are 28/28 for international and 21/21 for GOM.

[QUOTE=Wrecker3;115267]I won’t say that Noble is the best out here, but they gave me a chance and I am happy at the end of the month when my pay is deposited. The new hire process will get you thru STCW and also HUET. All required training is provided. I will not profess to know what HOS pays ETO’s but I do know that Noble pays better. I work with a former HOS ETO.
The schedules are 28/28 for international and 21/21 for GOM.[/QUOTE]

Noble is one I have been looking into. Working a rotation like that is a big draw for me. I am hone most nights now, but usually just long enough for a short nap and shower. I average only 3-4 hours a night and clock around 100 hours a week. You gotta love the oilfield. Being able to live anywhere I want is appealing too. I am living in a desert boomtown and it isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Housing is a lot 3 times more expensive here than back home. In fact, everything is sky high here because of the boom. I appreciate all the responses from everybody. I am amazed at all the certs required to work offshore.