Interview Advice!

So say someone is going to HOS for a wheelhouse position interview, What advice would you give them? Are there any curve balls they try and throw at you? Anything that would help/hurt the interviewee? As for that if you have any advice for any interviews you have been on at any company post it to help people out. Some say practice your grip strength before going to ECO! Stuff like that. This might actually help guys from asking questions you already know the answer to. Some like my self haven’t had a real interview in years, It has been, You have the license we need get in that truck get to this boat and BYE! for 13 years now. So if you have some real advice please post it and thanks for your time. :cool:

A lot of interviewers will ask you to describe what you feel your greatest strength is. Don’t be afraid to sell yourself when it comes to a question like that. You are there to show them that you are a valuable and skilled mariner so give them an identifiable strength that you can prove to them later on if they hire you.

The next question they might ask you is “What is your greatest weakness?”. That’s one question to prepare for ahead of time. Best thing to do there is be honest with them - but not brutally honest. “I’m a raving alcoholic!” is not the answer they are looking for. “Well, I wish I had more experience with <INSERT RELEVANT BUT NOT LIFE-CRITICAL MARITIME SKILL HERE>, and I’m hoping that a job like this will give me a chance to expand my horizons.” might be a better answer.

Something to think about. Hope that helps.

Interviewer: What is you greatest weakness?

Seaman: Honesty.

Interviewer: I don’t think honesty is a weakness.

Seaman: I really don’t give a shit what you think. :cool:

Deck or engine…questions will be different depending on that

Weakness? Well I don’t have any weaknesses. That’s why I think I’d be a perfect fit for this position. You should probably bump up the salary a little though…so when should I start?

When I head down there im going to hit ECO, Harvey Gulf, HOS, and Tradewinds Towing in that order. If I get no luck with them ill either start hitting the smaller guys or go home with my tail between my legs several thousand dollars poorer.

That’s only 4 companies. Do the research, find the thread that lists all the boat companies, and build in the time and funds to go see all of them. Doing anything less is setting yourself up for failure.

Actually that was 5 but I think his point was to go to the big players first then work his way down. He did mention the smaller companies if he has no luck with the big boys. I worked were I could to get where I am at and now its time to step up to the 1 for 1 schedule and higher pay. Good luck to all.

Do you even know how to count?

Hehehe I wasn’t going to say anything … I have exceeded my ball busting quota for the week.

I only counted 4. Let’s recount ECO, HOS, Harvey Gulf, and Tradewinds Towing. Still only 4.

You guys did notice where I said ill hit the smaller companies after I hit the big ones. Im not going to leave my current job until I get something down there.

Best wishes and good luck to you in your search!

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;116549]You guys did notice where I said ill hit the smaller companies after I hit the big ones. Im not going to leave my current job until I get something down there.[/QUOTE]

No, we are still trying to determine if the number of companies on that list is four or five.

Actually what I noticed was you mentioning going home poorer as a possible outcome and was trying to give some positive advice and encouragement.

Well thats the worst case. Ill still have my current job. My only issue with it is the pay really. But thanks for the encouragement. Im thinking it will work out.

My bad 4 I thought he was saying Eco, Harvey, Gulf (as in Gulfmark), HOS, and then the smaller ones. Tired been up too long! Thanks for the correction gentlemen.

Eleventeen?

[QUOTE=Dboys75;116556]My bad 4 I thought he was saying Eco, Harvey, Gulf (as in Gulfmark), HOS, and then the smaller ones. Tired been up too long! Thanks for the correction gentlemen.[/QUOTE]

I’d say, if offered a position with HOS, be prepared for them to say you won’t start until the beginning of Sept. Thats when they do the next New Hire Orientation.

It is actually the week of September 15 for 5 days and you get your day rate for those days.