Interview Tips

My buddy is a deckhand at a ferry company by me. He put a word in with his boss and he told me to come in this week to talk to him about a mechanic/engineer position. I’ve been going to Engine City Tech, a diesel school in South Plainfield, NJ, for the past 8 months, but have no professional experience in this field. It’s not exactly a formal interview, but I haven’t been on any type of interview for over two years, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Things I already know:

-History of the company
-engines they run
-eye contact, firm handshake, etc.

I am hesitant to bring my resume as my only relevant experience is my diesel school, and a marine mechanics course I’m taking. Everything else is my camera operator work (which I’ve tried to tweak to make little comparisons to the maritime world, but don’t think its too effective)

I need this job, my unemployment checks are about to run out and I have a four month old son. So, I just want to make the best impression possible.

Thanks for everything! This forum has taught me a great deal!

Alex

Be confident, be humble and be really interested in what they do. Don’t show your desperation but your enthusiam. You will do well. Best wishes to you.

I think I would tell them that you knew that you wouldn’t be the most experienced person they could hire, but that you had a good foundation to build on and they could mold and shape you into the type employee that they desired,

That you had not acquired any bad habits that you were aware of so they wouldn’t have to break you of doing anything they didn’t like. In exchange for giving you this once in a lifetime opportunity, you will work as hard as you can and will be loyal to the company and hope to someday be in the position to mentor another young mariner just starting out in the business.

Here’s a few things I’ve heard…

It is not uncommon for an interviewer to ask what your strengths are [I]and[/I] what are some of your weaknesses. Be ready with an honest answer, but one that can be painted in a good light also. Like, “I can be a bit obsessive some times, but I do pretty good at keeping it in check and it actually helps with paperwork etc.”

Also, it’s not uncommon for the interviewer to ask if you have any questions. This is probably not the time to ask how much they pay. Maybe questions about their safety practices, maybe a question about a current vessel they are building that will show you have done some research into the company, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

DEFINITELY bring your resume. Either they’ll ask for it and you’ll be prepared or they won’t. But if they do and you don’t have it, that’s the end of the interview right there in their eyes.

Don’t try to make comparisons between your previous work experience and that of the Marine Industry. Focus on examples of what you did in your previous job that made you a good, valuable employee. Displays initiative, dependability, reliability, commitment to the job, commitment to the employer… Those qualities of a good employee.

Relax.

Do the best you can.

You’ll be fine.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone! I’m heading down to there after class today. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Well, that went much differently then I had expected. The receptionist was, let just say, not too friendly. She wouldn’t even call the boss to see if he was busy and would only give me an application to bring back. I went to my car, filled it out, and brought it back. Now what? My friend said he’ll try to check if the boss received it tomorrow, but I was really hoping for some face to face time with him.

Hmmmm…thats a good reminder…thread to me …i will take care of above things…

[QUOTE=Alex13;29056]Well, that went much differently then I had expected. The receptionist was, let just say, not too friendly. She wouldn’t even call the boss to see if he was busy and would only give me an application to bring back. I went to my car, filled it out, and brought it back. Now what? My friend said he’ll try to check if the boss received it tomorrow, but I was really hoping for some face to face time with him.[/QUOTE]
<link rel=“File-List” href=“file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cdvc%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml”><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156”> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]–><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions / p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:45.0pt 90.0pt 27.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!–[if gte mso 10]> <style> / Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:“Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]–> Hi,
<o></o>
Good ideal, pls try to keep posting.
<o></o>
Tks and best regards

I ended up getting hired there as an Engineer about a 1 1/2 month ago. It’s been great. I do 50 hour weeks 2pm-12am Monday-Friday. I’m done with my diesel program Aug. 20th so I can turn those 50 hour weeks into 80 if I want. Full benefits, 401k, paid vacation. And I’m on the water everyday and home every night (only for a couple hours, but get to kiss my baby and fiance good morning). Doesn’t get much better then that.

When the guy finally called me and asked me to come in, it was pretty laid back. I did bring my resume and they appreciated that, but I guess he knew he was gonna hire me already. We just talked about the experience I had with engines and everything from the diesel program I’m in. How long I’ve known the deckhands that work there, etc. I talked to him on a Friday and started that next Monday. Hopefully I’ll have my QMED by October or so.

Thanks again for all the help!

Glad to see you got the gig!

It is always nice to have a J-O-B.

[QUOTE=anbetophillip;39741]<link rel=“File-List” href=“file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cdvc%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml”><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156”> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]–><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions / p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:45.0pt 90.0pt 27.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!–[if gte mso 10]> <style> / Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:“Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]–> Hi,
<o></o>
Good ideal, pls try to keep posting.
<o></o>
Tks and best regards[/QUOTE]

<meta http-equiv=“Content-Type” content=“text/html; charset=utf-8”><meta name=“ProgId” content=“Word.Document”><meta name=“Generator” content=“Microsoft Word 11”><meta name=“Originator” content=“Microsoft Word 11”><link rel=“File-List” href=“file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUSER%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml”><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156”> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]–><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions / @font-face {font-family:".VnTime"; panose-1:2 11 114 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} / Style Definitions / p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:14.0pt; font-family:".VnTime"; mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-bidi-font-family:“Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!–[if gte mso 10]> <style> / Style Definitions / table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:“Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]–> Apart from that, this link below may be useful: <meta http-equiv=“Content-Type” content=“text/html; charset=utf-8”><meta name=“ProgId” content=“Word.Document”><meta name=“Generator” content=“Microsoft Word 11”><meta name=“Originator” content=“Microsoft Word 11”><link rel=“File-List” href=“file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUSER%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml”><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156”> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]–><style> <!-- / Font Definitions / @font-face {font-family:".VnTime"; panose-1:2 11 114 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} / Style Definitions / p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:14.0pt; font-family:".VnTime"; mso-fareast-font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-bidi-font-family:“Times New Roman”;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!–[if gte mso 10]> <style> / Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:“Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]–>[B]Intervew tips[/B]

Hi,

Thanks for posting. I have some my interview tips. I want send to people to consult.

<!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156”> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions / table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:“Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]–> We also find them more same at: <!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=“false” LatentStyleCount=“156”> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 10]> <style> / Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:“Table Normal”; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:“Times New Roman”; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]–>[B]Interview tips[/B]

Rgs.

What would you wear to an interview for a AB or deckhand? I would want to look professional, but I would think a suit would be over doing it. I kinda figured just nice pants (like dockers or something) and a button down nice shirt. No tie. What would ya’ll do???

There was some really interesting discussions about attire back in 2009…There were several of us looking for work then.

.I went with the suit and tie and it worked for me…I think though,looking back I didn’t need to go to that extreme …My thoughts were to separate myself from the competition as much as possible…

I went w/ a suit…I did NOT get hired….lost the coat an tie…bingo!!..…if I were doing it again……I’d wear carhardt pants, steel toes, and collared shirt……it’s the “uniform for the job” in the GOM I’d say…just .02…oh…have your bag packed to go!!

[B]I don’t beleive you can “over dress” when it’s comes to interviewing, or just to fill out an app. If it’s conducted in an office setting, office attire. If it’s in the field, on board or at a terminal, casual would be more fitting. [I]Everyone[/I] can dress down.[/B]
[B][/B]
[B][/B]

[QUOTE=NAUTICART;47443][B]I don’t beleive you can “over dress” when it’s comes to interviewing, or just to fill out an app. If it’s conducted in an office setting, office attire. If it’s in the field, on board or at a terminal, casual would be more fitting. [I]Everyone[/I] can dress down.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Word up. Tie your bow correctly and that tuxedo just made you a lock for the job. But hold your fart in until you leave the room, dingus.