Interview attire

Hey there I’m new to the forums again after a few year hiatus. I went to CMA for a few years but had to leave to go back to work. Currently I am deckhanding in the oil field in the Santa Barbara channel week on week off and finally finished up the program and passed my exams and got my 3rds license. I’m planning on heading on down to the gulf to knock on doors ECO, HOS, Harvey Gulf etc, and drop off apps and I’m really wondering on what to wear to an interview. I know that a suit is really the most proffesional look, but is it too much? Are khakis and a nice button up shirt more appropriate or slacks and a dress shirt/sport coat. I’m not sure. Any input on what you guys feel the right impression to make is . Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Clean Kahki’s Flat Front no pleats
pressed white collared shirt
Navy Tie with a Plimsol Mark (optional)
Blue Blazer
High end boat shoes

Good Luck

Wear some nice slacks or even nice jeans, and a collared shirt (golf or botton down) , and some appropriate shoes. A fresh haircut and shave also recommended. Look like you are ready to go to work, because if you are hired, you will likely do just that. Good luck.

[QUOTE=MadSkills;108551]Clean Kahki’s Flat Front no pleats
Blue Blazer
High end boat shoes

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

MadSkills has the right idea. It has always worked for me.

Thanks guys that’s sort of how I was leaning, I figured that a suit was way overkill

The few interviews I’ve done in my career I was wearing my uniform from the soon to be ex employer. One time when I got pissed at Turdwater I pulled into the Seacor parking lot in a Turdwater carryall. I guess now a days they want you to look all professional even if you’ll never wear that stuff a single day you work for them. I don’t even think I own a pair of khaki pants much less dress shoes, a button up shirt or tie. I hope it all works out for you.

As long as you have shoes, shorts, pants and can spell your name you can get a job down here.

Because all boat companies hire on an emergency basis as long as you have the right credentials for the spot they need to fill right that moment thats all they care about.

I would certainly go looking presentable. You only have one chance to make a decent impression. If someone came in with the same credentials in flip flops and a hat on backwards I’d bet on the one dressed better would prevail. Nothing wrong with looking professional in any job market. The same would apply no matter if you are looking for a boat job, shipping company, or Mc Donald’s. People react to the way you present yourself.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);108677]I would certainly go looking presentable. You only have one chance to make a decent impression. If someone came in with the same credentials in flip flops and a hat on backwards I’d bet on the one dressed better would prevail. Nothing wrong with looking professional in any job market. The same would apply no matter if you are looking for a boat job, shipping company, or Mc Donald’s. People react to the way you present yourself.[/QUOTE]

You can never go wrong with nice pants, button down shirt tie and dress shoes. It is true that you will never work them while you are working on board, but if you have aspirations for a career afterwards make the right impression now. Unfortunately your skills are the only thing that are being hired today, it is how you represent the company.

personally, I like the Dude’s style!

//youtu.be/xJjCnWm5cvE

The Dude minds! This aggression will not stand man!

Aw…fuck it!

[QUOTE=c.captain;108709]personally, I like the Dude’s style!

//youtu.be/xJjCnWm5cvE

The Dude minds! This aggression will not stand man!

Aw…fuck it![/QUOTE]

C.captain. I sent you a pm.

[QUOTE=MadSkills;108551]Clean Kahki’s Flat Front no pleats
Blue Blazer
High end boat shoes

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

All of the above plus knee pads. Kiss all the A$$ u can to get the job you want!

Normally I just walk in and go …TAAADAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Nice jeans or khakis and a polo shirt and you will be dressed better than 95% if the people there. It’s likely bad to look too fancy…

In my opinion, suite well creased and all that gives the impression that you are desperate, and a desperate man for work bodes not well. Wear some common clothes, just make sure they look good, not too stiff and not too chabby.

I got my job wearing black jeans, nicely sewn cotton sweater and a trench-coat made of wool. The look has something to say, but not as much as how you talk and behave.

I got the job, despite no education whatsoever…I strolled in, said it as it were…

As a youth I fucked up at school, and I’ve now found out what I want. I am a guy you want to have working for your company…they gave me a shot and never been happier…I opened up the possibility to take on apprentices as well.

Same everyone else said. Nothing with stains, avoid boots, avoid sneakers, and like they said a neatly pressed but not creased polo/button down shirt tucked into ironed pants, khaki/navy blue whatever with a belt. Bring a pen!!! Phone on silent or better yet leave it elsewhere.

Hey guys thanks for the input, I’m getting off my boat tomorrow morning and then flying down Wed. I’ll let y’all know how it goes