Intercon ATB Connection Systems

I am 3rd Engineer on a brand new ATB tug with an Intercon system. It is the first time I have ever seen the system. Anyone have any experience as to what to expect in accordance with maintenance or potential problems to look out for or be prevented? At this point the barge is still under construction and while we have all gone through Intercon training, any real world tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to anyone who could help out.

I had the same reservations the first trip I made with an Intercon system. I feel comfortable enough to sail anywhere in the world with the system now. There have been several failures early on mainly due to lubrication. The lube systems have greatly improved with better lubricants and the grease cycles are controlable from the pilot house. The new Orkot bushings are supposed to be the cat’s ass. I never have worked with them. Pre-voyage manually lubing and cycling the pins are paramount. Don’t spare the grease, especially on newbuilds. Flushing the load cells and cycling the pressure switches should be done every trip. Also inspect grease and lock hoses when flexing the pins. I think it’s Crowley’s policy to change out the hoses during annual thrust bearing inspections. During the notch-ups, keep an eye on the oil levels in the intensifyers for the locks.

As in all new-builds, a regiment of re-tightening every electrical connection is part of the daily routine.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the information. I’ll pass it onto the rest of my engineering crew and see if we can add some of this to our 1-hour to Stand-By sheet. As for the newbuilds stuff, now would definitely be a good time to check all the fasteners as we are awaiting the completion and delivery of our very very large barge. My new ride does have the Orkot bushings and Crowley’s policy is to change the hoses yearly. Hopefully by November the ATB will be up and running.

Ronnie or Otto with Intercon usually will be the tech rep on sea trials. They will go out of their way to explain everything. In the past, they’ve taken my phone calls 24/7 with any tech issues. I’m sure the PLC displays have improved as Intercon kept upgrading over time, but be familiar with the ladder logic chart in the back of the Intercon manual. A quick look at the input/output modules in the PLC panel will point out most of the electrical problems. As with any other system, most solutions to problems will be so obvious that we overlook them!LOL! Have fun…

The system is only as smart as the local user. I would agree that the whole system needs to be 'overloaded ’ with grease to flush and lube the system.

Companies who send out memos to ‘save’ on grease, and who try to cut corners will pay for it in the long run.

You need to read and understand the manual, and ask other engineers who use the system. The systems are being upgraded and modified to use newer technology. One of the most glaring examples of problems are the intercon and industry is NOT being forthwith concerning with examples and solutions about problems within the technology.

Oh yeah. My engineer found 75% of the wiring connections to be loose, making up for over half of the alarms you get initially. Look in the brain box, all of the screw in connections get loose. The system is only as good as the wires it uses.

From what I’ve observed, the interport transits with retrofitted tugs in the NE are the most efficient use of the Intercon sys. The larger units with 3 day or longer voyages are more critical. Fuel/ballast plans come into play. Quartering seas are the hardest to compensate for. Different areas of operation produced drastic means of compensation. The west coast with the larger swells required more lubrication with longer duration of articulation. Galling was more prevelant on the pins and bushings. The east coast and gulf transits produced more quartering seas and sea water temp differentials that produced various problems to overcome.

[QUOTE=injunear;55779] The east coast and gulf transits produced more quartering seas and sea water temp differentials that produced various problems to overcome.[/QUOTE]

I am wondering why there is no seawater cooling of the huge cast hub?? Been on my list to ask Intercon Ron next time I see him (or Otto)

[QUOTE=cappy208;55802]I am wondering why there is no seawater cooling of the huge cast hub?? Been on my list to ask Intercon Ron next time I see him (or Otto)[/QUOTE]
Once you’re pinned in, there is no movement of the helmet. The heating comes from dry spots on the pin and bushing. The hi temp alarm come from a 15 degree differential between the reference point (bulkhead) and various points on the bushing. If it hadn’t been refined, if the bushing is 15 degrees cooler than the reference, you’ll get a hi temp alarm.

Inspection of the pins and burnishing any galling should be done on a regular basis. It’s best to keep an infrared heat gun to log temps at various points around the bushings while underway.

I didn’t mean cooling the helmet. I meant the outside housing of the ram itself. It is said that the lube IS the cooling for the housing, RAM and bushings. I can feel the heat buildup when pinned up. Just would make sense to keep the colder the bushings, the longer it would last.

You mention wear and filing off burrs and such. Where do those appear? I need to share this with the chief.

[QUOTE=cappy208;56652]You mention wear and filing off burrs and such. Where do those appear? I need to share this with the chief.[/QUOTE]
Most of the galling will appear on the aft side of the pins at 10&2 when facing the helmet, just inboard of the grease seal. Hot spots can appear anywhere on the pins. It’s best to have a routine inspection where the pins are at the electrical extend limit. Wipe the grease off the pins for thorough inspection. If the ambient temp is low, wd 40 may be required to dilute the grease. While extended and rotating the pins, this is the best time to inspect the grease and lock hoses for wear as the hose weights will be at their zenith.

I see the point of looking at the pins at the 10 and 2 position, but I have the intercon c system that does not have a ‘10 and 2.’ we can rotate the pins, at 60 degree intervals. it is a hex helmet, not the intercon A system that keeps the helmet horizontal.

We have never seen this burring or marking on the rams. You can see the grease seal on your pins when fully extended? I have never seen them, even when all the way out.

The lip seals are recessed in the bushing a few inches inboard. When you extend the pins past your normal battery position, you’ll see a mark worn where the lip seal normally rides.

If you’re on short runs, you probably won’t see much galling. Longer runs require maintaining a good fuel/ballast plan.

For those interested in Intercon users comments, Check out FB, “Lois L Moran” page. A way to exchange info regarding intercon use, tips and tricks and what not.

Thanks for all the information everyone. I’m almost through my 45 day rotation on board this new very large ATB. So far, despite a couple glitches and learning curves, the Interncon has been very reliable and caused us no problems. Ronnie has been down to check on us and do some fine tuning on the system when we dock to load here in Louisiana. My only gripe is that the port pin squeaks, squeals, and moans so loudly you can hear it throughout the house. Ronnie ensured us it was still breaking in and will get better. Luckily our transits are pretty short so the noise doesn’t bother us for long. Being as most of us came from deep sea, there has been a learning curve when it comes to pinning up and switching between toothed and lightering mode. The mates are getting the hang of it though.

Make sure that the grease setting is up enough. Try a level higher than what the seas are. One of our chiefs likes to run his at 10-15, even though the seas may only be 7 feet. That’s just this one guy thoug, it works fine for us when we leave it at recommended setting though when he’s not around… Food for thought.

Haha, just noticed that this conversation took place last year, ha. But yeah, keep it lubed, and tell the mates that if they suspect ANY thing wrong with the intercon, call the Captain and Chief. You DO NOT want to come out of the notch on one of those.

Just got back from another 45 day hitch. Right before I got back, the stbd pin retracted to far and locked itself after they had finished with bunkers. The culprit was the sprocket and chain falling off the limit switch actuators. Since we bunker in the river, Intercon came down and had to use hydraulic jacks against the low speed pinion gear teeth to free it up. Later on in my tour the communications card on the port screen in the wheelhouse failed. Having unplugged it as per Intercon’s recommendation, any extend or retract command given from the touch screens would fail to release the locks. The boat has been in service for about 6 months so we are still ironing out the teething problems, but it is getting better. I can’t say enough good things about Intercon. Their customer service is top notch and rarity among companies these days.

Been sailing on Intercon equipped ATB’s for a little over two years now… just some of my experiences.

We generally turn on the bushing lube for 5-10 minutes per day, or in rougher weather every 12hrs. The guys from Intercon came onboard a year or so ago and updated the programming with a newer version. Originally when retracting the pins it was very rough and used to ‘slam’ at the end of the travel. The program was updated i believe to slow down the retraction. Also a few other things like improved control over the locks, which were very loud when engaging / disengaging. Pretty sure it was Ronnie who i talked to and he was a really nice guy… spent a solid hour down in the intercon room with me (which was like 100 degrees at the time) explaining things to me and answering my questions.

I did work on one boat that had just had the pins serviced, that boat creaked like hell… not sure why but from what i heard it started after they had pinned up on another barge (not their usual). The pins on my regular boat are pretty much silent.

Gotta love cleaning out the tunnels of the extra grease that made it past the seals… i swear that stuff takes about 4-5 washes to get off my shirt / pants. :wink:

And yea… proper ballast plan is important! I remember when i started out on this boat, it was the first long trip in 5-6 years. Previously it was on charter and usually only did 1 day runs…this was a 12 day trip from NY to Houston. The ballast was so screwed up, pins were creaking like crazy. My chief at the time was really very competent, it was basically that learning curve of making a 12 day trip for the first time in a long time. We ended up giving up trying to get the ballast evened out after the 8th or 9th day… no joke when we unpinned the draft came up about 2 feet… :slight_smile:

Just wondering, do you guys have air conditioning in your intercon rooms? My boat was retrofitted probably 6-7 years ago so the layout is less than stellar. Its pretty nasty down there, especially during summers in the gulf. Id rather be down in the 120 degree engine room where there is atleast ventilation. I have been on a boat that was built with the intercon system, much nicer layout… A/C more space to move around and the grease barrels were kept in forepeak with plenty of space around to change everything out!

"And yea… proper ballast plan is important! I remember when i started out on this boat, it was the first long trip in 5-6 years. Previously it was on charter and usually only did 1 day runs…this was a 12 day trip from NY to Houston. The ballast was so screwed up, pins were creaking like crazy. My chief at the time was really very competent, it was basically that learning curve of making a 12 day trip for the first time in a long time. We ended up giving up trying to get the ballast evened out after the 8th or 9th day… no joke when we unpinned the draft came up about 2 feet… "

There is no need for that amount of stress and wear.
Proper ballast is important and relatively easy to figure.

[ATTACH]1962[/ATTACH]