I'm confused; DDE Unlimited HP/ A/E Limited 1600 Gt. VS A/E (OSV) Unlimited

I’m now studying to take a test. I applied for DDE Unlimited HP, and NMC approved my application. I can also sail as an A/E once I pass DDE, but limited 1600 Gt. Right now I’m on an OSV that is more than 1600 Gt, as a QMED. So even If I pass the test, I still won’t be able to work as an A/E on a 2700 ton because it’s A/E limited . Is it better for me to apply for an A/E (OSV) Unlimited than a DDE/ A/E Limited? Or can I work as an A/E with a DDE AHP License on an OSV 2700 ton?

[QUOTE=seamanloloko;148710]I’m now studying to take a test. I applied for DDE Unlimited HP, and NMC approved my application. I can also sail as an A/E once I pass DDE, but limited 1600 Gt. Right now I’m on an OSV that is more than 1600 Gt, as a QMED. So even If I pass the test, I still won’t be able to work as an A/E on a 2700 ton because it’s A/E limited . Is it better for me to apply for an A/E (OSV) Unlimited than a DDE/ A/E Limited? Or can I work as an A/E with a DDE AHP License on an OSV 2700 ton?[/QUOTE]

DDE cannot work on a vessel (ANY vessel) over 500 GRT, Assistant Engineer cannot work on a vessel (ANY vessel) over 1,600 GRT. See 46 CFR 15.915.

Dosen’t DDE 4000 get you Chief OSV and that’s good for any OSV under 3000 GT right?

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;148735]Dosen’t DDE 4000 get you Chief OSV and that’s good for any OSV under 3000 GT right?[/QUOTE]

You still need a license other than DDE or Chief Limited to work on a vessel over 500 GRT or 1,600 GRT. You still need to “get” the Chief Engineer (OSV) or Assistant Engineer (OSV) license. Just because you could get it doesn’t mean you can work on a vessel over 1,600 GRT without actually getting it.

[QUOTE=seamanloloko;148710]I’m now studying to take a test. I applied for DDE Unlimited HP, and NMC approved my application. I can also sail as an A/E once I pass DDE, but limited 1600 Gt. Right now I’m on an OSV that is more than 1600 Gt, as a QMED. So even If I pass the test, I still won’t be able to work as an A/E on a 2700 ton because it’s A/E limited . Is it better for me to apply for an A/E (OSV) Unlimited than a DDE/ A/E Limited? Or can I work as an A/E with a DDE AHP License on an OSV 2700 ton?[/QUOTE]

Assistant Engineer (OSV) used to be called Engineer (OSV). If you already hold a lesser dde license and ask to be evaluated under the old rules, they should just give it to you.

If you don’t already hold a DDE, I would think if you asked to be evaluated under the old rules you could get Chief (OSV) along with DDE unlimited… then your tonnage issue would be resolved.

Lastly, wouldn’t the assistant limited 1600 be 3000 itc anyway like other 1600 ton licenses?

Thank you for the clarification. It really helped.

[QUOTE=Ctony;148769]Lastly, wouldn’t the assistant limited 1600 be 3000 itc anyway like other 1600 ton licenses?[/QUOTE]

That’s the way I remember it. A/E Limited and A/E OSV both had a dual tonnage limit of 1,600 GRT / 3,000 GT (ITC). That may have changed with the new rulemaking though.

But keep in mind that a DDE does not allow you to sail in anything over 500 GRT, it allows you to get another engineers license that does but you need to all for it and get it on your license (A/E Limited or A/E OSV).

4 posts were split to a new topic: Can you run chief engineer on an atb with DDE 4000. under 500grt rated 4400hp

A post was merged into an existing topic: Can you run chief engineer on an atb with DDE 4000. under 500grt rated 4400hp