I FINALLY got a job!

YESSS!:smiley:

Got this email-

[FONT=&quot]Anthony,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When you applied I had a position open for the back deck working with the fishing gear. You were not as good a fit with your experience. A position became available for Ordinary Seaman working with the Deck Officers and AB Unlimiteds. I think this will be a good fit for you and I am happy to offer you the position. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have attached some information about the SS Ocean Phoenix. I hope this attachment and my email answer most of your questions. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As an O/S your starting pay will begin at $145.00 daily guarantee with a crewshare of 1.4 shares. You will be paid your guarantee on the 5<sup>th</sup> and 20<sup>th</sup> of each month. At the end of the season, should your crewshare exceed your daily you will receive a bonus of the share amount that exceeded your daily guarantee payments. It is only a few times in 20 years that the crewshare did not exceed the daily guarantee and that was the short hake fishery.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The upcoming season is B Season. It will begin about June 5<sup>th</sup> and last between 50 and 75 days. The best guess is you will return to Seattle the middle of August.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The ship will depart from and return to Pier 91 in Seattle. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Ocean Phoenix is expected into Seattle around June 1<sup>st</sup> or June 2<sup>nd</sup>. There will be three days of offload and three days of backload for B Season. Your day rate begins the day you arrive. My best guess is I would need you to arrive in Seattle on June 4<sup>th</sup>. I will confirm the travel date on Friday. You will need to pay your own travel expenses to and from the ship. When you arrive in Seattle you need to take a cab or shuttle to Pier 91 in Seattle (2100 Garfield W, Seattle, WA 98119). The cab ride is about $50. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Your TWIC card will get you through the main gate to Pier 91 and the gate to the ship. You will sign in at the gangway and they will take care of you from there. I will meet up with you shortly after your arrival and complete your employment paperwork on board the ship. You will report to the Chief Mate, Tom Coryell. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You need to bring clothing for 8 days as your laundry will be done for you once a week. Bedding is provided but you may want to bring a better pillow. Towels are not provided, so a towel or two and wash cloth are good to bring. There is email access on the ship, but not internet access. You will be given a ship email address and access to computers to send and receive emails (no attachments, the server can’t handle them). Bring toiletries and medications to last up to 90 days. Be sure to bring I.D. and your MMD/License. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You will be in a two man room, sharing with an AB on the opposite shift. Meals are provided and plentiful. Ship stores has tobacco, pop, candy, some clothing and rain gear. You will want to bring good work boots with you. You can purchase X-tra Tuff water proof boots in the ship store. You can purchase phone cards through the ship store.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You will fill out a health questionnaire with your contract/employment paperwork stating you are fit for duty. You will also be drug tested prior to beginning work on board the ship. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I hope this answers most initial questions. I will call you tomorrow. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pam[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So- any advice for a newbie? Kinda nervous- this will be a LOT different than cruise ships…
[/FONT]

[B][I][U]SS OCEAN PHOENIX - Vessel History[/U][/I][/B]
<o></o>
The SS OCEAN PHOENIX was originally built as a break-bulk vessel, the SS OREGON MAIL by American Mail Line in 1964. She was converted to a container ship by APL in 1972, where she operated as the SS PRESIDENT KENNEDY. The last conversion was to her present state as a Factory Processor in 1989 when she became the SS OCEAN PHOENIX.
<o></o>
[B][I][U]SS OCEAN PHOENIX – Current Operation<o>></o>[/U][/I][/B]
The SS OCEAN PHOENIX is currently a 680-foot factory ship operated by Premier Pacific Seafoods, Inc. based in Seattle, Washington. The vessel is a “Mothership” operation, meaning she processes the fish harvested by a separate fleet of trawl vessels. The trawlers haul their nets and then transfer a 55-ton cod-end (the back end of their net that holds the fish) directly to the SS OCEAN PHOENIX. As the trawler prepares the net, the Mothership navigates beside them, trailing a hawser from the stern ramp. The trawler then shackles the cod-end to the hawser and releases it. An empty cod-end is sent to the catcher boat, which resumes fishing while the Mothership hauls the net aboard and begins processing the fish. The ship will take 15-20 deliveries per day.
<o></o>
[B][I][U]Seasons Worked <o></o>[/U][/I][/B]
<o></o>
<!–[if !supportLists]–>ü<!–[endif]–>[B]Alaskan Pollock[/B] – Early January through mid-March (Bering Sea)
<!–[if !supportLists]–>ü<!–[endif]–>[B]Pacific Whiting[/B] (Hake) – mid-May through mid-June (Pacific Ocean)
<!–[if !supportLists]–>ü<!–[endif]–>[B]Alaskan Pollock[/B] – mid-June through September (Bering Sea)
<o></o>
The length of the Seasons are dependent upon fish and can fluctuate from year to year. Accordingly, so does the time our employees work each year. The vessel will depart for the fishing grounds with a specified amount of fish that needs to be processed and the vessel will typically remain in operation until the entirety of that fish is produced. Typically, most of our crewmembers spend 6 – 7 months of the year at sea and most of our crew members sign contracts for the individual seasons for approximately 45-90 days at a time. Some employees perform port work in between seasons.
<o></o>

Hey Anthony, welcome to the world , of the gainfully employed…It sounds like this will be a much better fit for you…:slight_smile:

How big is the OP?

After all that you have done for the forum with your constant job updates, I’m very happy for your success…You certainly deserve it…good luck…

haha!

Thanks!

I believe she’s 640 feet, 220 crew- largest US flagged processor.

I’m a little nervous… haven’t been on deck since October…never worked anthing other than cruise ships… and have never sailed in the Bering Sea!

But…

I always give everything 110% so I’m sure I’ll be okay after a while:)

After I’ve been the FNG for a while:D

That is good news. You will do well.
Ah Seattle , what a beautiful place to be. I have some nice pixs of the area in my profile album. I wish you the best, you certainly will not go hungry. Post an update here when you can.

I envy you. Congrats man!

Tony,
Congrat’s on getting the job! Thanks for all your efforts on behalf of the unemployed here on the list.
MTSKIER

Way to go, Anthony! No pushy, bitching, ugly tourist, asshole passengers to deal with!

You’ll do well. Good luck.

Good Luck for a terrific and profitable trip. They are lucky to have you. We anticipate many great stories from you when you return.

Congrats dude, from one OS to another, you deserve it!

If anybody did their homework, it is you.

It won’t all be fun but it WILL all be education, experience and sea time.

Congratulations. Make the most of it.

Nemo

Enjoy your new hitch. Learn as much as you can. I started out on the deck of a processor 23 years ago and gained a lot of deck knowledge that has helped me to this day (as well as enough seatime to move up the food chain quite a bit). Stay safe!

Thanks everyone:)

Captain A- I might be crazy- but I like pax! (most of them anyway) They are on the ship to see new places, meet new people, and learn new things- just like me. Plus- they paid my salary.:wink:

As far as the few who were a pain in the butt- I felt sorry for them. Anyone who is constantly upset while being whined and dined in some of the most scenic paces on Earth has some BIG problems.

I’m told I get email but not web browsing on the ship- so no posting on gcaptain for me:(

Anyhoo… I wish you all well. Hopefully everyone who is looking for work now will be sailing when I get back.

Until then…thanks for all the encouragement and help… smooth sailing and stay safe!:slight_smile:

Anthony

I used to like 'em too. I got my start on passenger vessels. Once I sailed without 'em though, that changed everything.

//youtu.be/_Vdba8l82mA

HAH! Looks just like a cruise ship Anthony…:smiley:

OS,

glad to hear you finally got “crewed”…it is apparent from on here you earned it!

I’ve been "on the road "as not much came by me staying at home…may accept a position as instructor…if so I’ll be hanging my license on the wall…I’ll miss the “water”, but also enjoy teaching the “knucklesheads” as well…I mean that in a kind way.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP ON HERE, GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE!!

Congrats man, have a good time and bring back some good stories.

Congratulations! I was on the OP in the 80s as a NMFS Fishery Observer. At the time the Bridge guys were all CMA grads. The boat is a floating processor. Now think 800 MT of fish but lukily its in the Bering Sea so the terrible stinch of stink isnt too bad.

There was a really nice Library with a great vew and a “theater” too. I never saw the ABs actually work just walk around always looking like they were going somplace or had somthing important to do. Oh, excpet during Life Boat drills. Burrrr!

I always felt safe. But FIRES do happen on the OP! Just too many people and cigs.

You may not make as much on the Hake (whitting) fishery but the summer off the Oregon and Washington coast is very nice :slight_smile:

Bob