Hurricane Isaias

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/084832.shtml?tswind120

Looks like Isaias is going to impact shipping USEC.

Sunny and clear this a.m. in Mid-Coast Maine.

#Isaias

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic

Watching this one and waiting to see if I should start hauling boats out which is a major PIA. If the storm stays as a TS or weak Cat 1, tending the lines is usually enough to prevent damage. Decision time in 24 hrs.

So far it looks like a flood/rain event here in the Chesapeake.

Hatteras zone A is under mandatory evac as of an hour ago.

1 Like

They always seem to get it there.
Also “rain/flood” event was not meant to be dismissive, Agnes hardly had any wind here and was enormously destructive.

Going to haul out this afternoon. One less thing to attend to in case things get sporty.

Stock up, as normal, Col. Road will get a bit wet no matter what this thing does.

We pack a hurricane kit every year by June. This year, because of the uncertainty of the pandemic we were done before the end of March. Haul out today went super smooth and in record time but it may have been unnecessary.
When I got back to the house I learned from a reliable source in the WH that the storm is headed for Alabama.

5 Likes

My second chuckle today, My Bear Dog tripped chasing a squirrel was my first… A personal tweet from HQ? Now that’s special!

Nobody here is worried about this hurricane, it’s the first normal thing that’s happened this year.

1 Like

For the most part, they never are. Tough crowd.

We’re just gonna go hide up one the “creeks” hereabouts (Northern Chesapeake) Our WX gurus say max 40 knots, and we already had that in a couple of T-storms last week. Sure wish it would cool off a bit, tho.

9 posts were split to a new topic: Outer Banks

Local forecast discussion:

Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Gray ME 417 AM EDT Mon Aug 3 2020 .SYNOPSIS… High pressure builds in today making for a dry but warm day, with slightly lower humidity. By later tonight will start to see some showers associated with Isaias moving into the region, which will become more [numerous](https://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=numerous) during the day on Tuesday. The brunt of the storm should hit Tuesday night with strong winds and torrential rainfall. The storm exits to the north Wednesday, with more normal temperatures and lower humidity for the end of the week.

Here’s the latest, from 0500 hr LT.

Forecast track has shifted westward compared to 24 hrs ago.

TV weather said last night the last time a Tropical Storm warning was issued for Maine was 1991.

This was sunrise this morning.

Now it’s overcast, light rain. No wind.

Wind laying down here but water is still rising in the canals and it’s 2 inches from coming over the bulkhead and into the yard.

1 Like

Laying down being a relative term. The weather channel shows it’s blowing 13 SW but it’s closer to 40.

So…everything is normal.

1 Like

Hopefully subsiding by now. I spent a lot of time at Topsail Beach and had friends in Morehead. During hurricane season we considered a Cat 1 or 2 a thunderstorm. But water has risen and the shore migrates so things have probably changed in the past few years.