How Militaristic is TMA?

How Militaristic is TMA? I have heard that it was once very relaxed but over the past few years has changed and become much more like the Corp of Cadets in College Station (more militaristic). I hoping so, because I am wanting a more disciplined lifestyle and not some wannabe Corp.

Any comments on day to day activities? Muster? Fitness? Ect…

Thanks you.

You want to march around and be treated like a willful child? Why? That psudo-military crap doesn’t do much for you as a civilian merchant marine officer. It only screws up your mind and puts you at odds with your future crews.

If you want to march and bark might I recommend the United States Marines.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;51010]You want to march around and be treated like a willful child? Why? That psudo-military crap doesn’t do much for you as a civilian merchant marine officer. It only screws up your mind and puts you at odds with your future crews.

If you want to march and bark might I recommend the United States Marines.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for the informative reply. That almost answered my question.

The people that I have come across, that have attended academies that have no military style, had no leadership ability, had no sense of responsibility for the crew, and apparently came out just as immature as they went in.

I guess if you older and have some real life experience then maybe you don’'t need the discipline. But I think the younger guys need it.

After reading many of the manuals, it appears that it has changed since a few year ago and become more rigid. Is this good or bad? Don’t know, but personally I like the changes.

[QUOTE=skycowboy;51023]The people that I have come across, that have attended academies that have no military style, had no leadership ability, had no sense of responsibility for the crew, and apparently came out just as immature as they went in. [/QUOTE]

The same can be said for many who went to the more regimented academies. However, the regiment does provide the opportunity to make leadership mistakes and learn from them before you go to sea, I’ve seen bosuns and experienced ABs do as good or better of a job instilling discipline and responsibility with a young OS as happens at academies.

As a TAMUG Alumni who attended in the mid to late 80’s, I can vouch that things were once very relaxed compared to other academies. This was mostly due to the campus being shared with regular students pursuing marine related degrees outside of Merchant Marine training. Generally speaking, our grads from this period were hands-on types who earned excellent reputations in the maritime industry. Most I know adapted well to the civilian merchant marine and have successful careers. I’ve heard they have tightened up considerably but you will find all the maritime academies to be a quasi-military atmosphere, some are more than others with Kings Point probably the most regimented. Look at it as character building and go with the flow.

It looks like I will be heading to TMA this August.

Salt’n steel, do any of these videos look much different then what you remember?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFbk2-r99eU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq2gV9QPisg&NR=1 First day of O-week, which is orientation week to cadet life.

Salt’n steel, do any of these videos look much different then what you remember?

Mikegb88, We didn’t do many drill formations or PT in the dorm corridors in my day. The first semester involved some indoctrination but it dropped off after that. Our morning muster was on the tennis court every morning and we went on to classes. We certainly did immersion suit drills and rowing lifeboats along with a lot of other nautical training on the old Texas Clipper. The videos you posted show that TAMUG corps is becoming in line with main campus corps of cadets - the pride of Texas A&M. As Sea Aggies we were regarded more as “McHales Navy” during my era. Not saying I’m proud of it but those days are over. I’ve been over to the campus recently and was amazed at all the new buildings and grounds compared to the spartan look when I started in '84. Can’t say much for Galveston after the recent hurricanes - it still looks pretty rough after the recent hurricane. Good luck to you and I’m sure your experience will be a positive one.

Thank you salt’n steel for the reply.

If anyone is interested, i did find another video that has some great pictures of TMA.

A&M is not very strict!! They are actually laid-back!! If you are looking for a bad education but good Military S$&@, go to KP!!!

So whats the point on having a corp of cadets? Is it just to play dress up and spend money on uniforms? Why not do away with a cadet style and save the students some money?

It’s a curriculum implemented by the USCG. Been a hardcore military academy will NOT help you be a better mariner!!

I understand the curriculum of being a cadet and developing leadership but different acadamies have different degrees of regimented curriculum. Everyone ends up with the same license, it’s interesting how the academies are regimented and the industry we will work in is not.

Alright just got back from the new student orientation. Apparently it may be more regimented from 2003 since you graduated pr-9, but not by much. One example, you did mention they did allow tv’s freshman year… well Col. Mallahan just specified that they would not be allowed. Looks like victor company will make out like a bandit. Also morning work out for all freshmen looks to be part of the Tuesday, Thursday schedule. Also he said get ready for Orientation week, but specified that WAS NOT a hell week, but to still be physically fit.

So basically it seems like most people, or some think that the USCG requirement for a regimental system should be abolished? Just a waste of money right?

If the USCG is going to grant academy grads sea time for going to collage then they better run them threw the ringers. Otherwise I’d like sea time for the years I spent in collage (non-maritime).

Better yet, how about making the academy grads work a year at sea before giving them their licenses. Actually having done a job makes most people better at managing a job.

If I go to TAMUG I’d be in victor company, what are the differences besides not living on campus, show up for formation, wear uniform I know. Be specific

I’ve seen bosuns and experienced ABs do as good or better of a job instilling discipline and responsibility with a young OS as happens at academies.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, but it is a little different when your dealing with a spoiled green 3M who has no sense of responsibility only entitlement. I think it is much more beneficial when they have been knocked down a peg before they enter the real world. Cause your momma don’t work here.

I did work a year at sea. I didn’t sit in a classroom on a ship with 50 other engineering students during my sea year. I pulled pistons, changed injectors, crawled through the bilges, did welding projects, took on fuel, transferred fuel, rebuilt pumps, cleaned centrifuges, stood my own watch a few times and even worked for the mate a few times. I had to figure out my sea project on my own time.

Any new KP grad who is egalitarian and has a sense of entitlement clearly missed the lessons he/she was supposed to learn at school. I spent my first year cleaning other peoples heads and showers and getting other peoples food for them at meal times. If that doesn’t teach you humility then you’re trying not to learn. The system is supposed to teach you to be responsible for yourself first and then gradually build to being responsible for others and finally multiple layers of people. Sounds exactly like what you should be learning to me.

Could it possibly be that some hawspipers ( who, lets face it have a negative view of academy guys from day 1) never really give an academy grad a fair shake? I’ve literally walked on a boat and had a C/M tell me I was worthless beforehe even asked me my name. From the very second I set foot on the vessel it was this man’s mission to remind me constantly that his license was worth more than mine. Many people like to complain about “green academy 3/m’s” but that is exactly what they are, green and new. Instead of scoffing and telling them they are worthless, set an example of how to lead by teaching them a thing or two. As a young 3/m or 3 a/e, there is an enormous amount to learn; I’m sure there are some know it alls out there, but there are just as many AB to 3/m who believe their poo doesn’t stink.

What I’m getting at is, give up the stereotyping, and stop using phrases like “all these academy guys”. We are all very different, I know there is a great deal I can learn from everyone on a vessel (cook on up to Master), and if you hawspipers are really as smart and sea savvy as you claim, you’d know that you could probably learn from us KP douchebags too!