Hiring in the gulf?

Does anyone know of any companies that might be hiring OS’s right now? A good friend of mine has all of his documentation but can’t seem to get in anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

He’ll get snatched up right away just as soon as he can get his RFPNW signed off.

Right, but here’s the problem. The sea time letter he has is only listed as OS time which is non descriptive. He I wants to go engine room, by the coast guard won’t let him test for his QMED because his sea time letter doesn’t say OS/wiper, and sea school won’t let him attend for the same reason. Which is why he needs to get hired on somewhere. That way he can get his STCW engineering watch endorsement.

Try Hornbeck offshore…

the coast guard won’t let him test for his QMED because his sea time letter doesn’t say OS/wiper, .

Depends upon the tonnage/ HP of the vessel he was on. Can he have HR write a sea service letter reflecting time as OS?wiper

[QUOTE=cappy208;71482]Depends upon the tonnage/ HP of the vessel he was on. Can he have HR write a sea service letter reflecting time as OS?wiper[/QUOTE]

Letters written as DEU work well.

[QUOTE=SailorRandy;70957]Does anyone know of any companies that might be hiring OS’s right now? A good friend of mine has all of his documentation but can’t seem to get in anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

Hotnbeck still had a few opening but I wouldn’t recommend the evil empire. If he’s just starting out try GOL, C&G or someone like Gulfmark. They hire a lot of deckhands with limited experience.

The Evil Empire is Bouchard.

Had a similar issue, but asked my previous employer to rewrite my service letter reflecting my time as wiper rather than deckhand. Service was from a <100 ton vessel and we did everything anyway. Sea school accepted the revised letter with no questions asked and I was able to receive my QMED endorsement after successfully finishing the class and sending everything into the NMC.

Have him explain to his previous employer if they don’t understand (mine didn’t) that since both OS and Wiper can walk off the street with no experience and are therefore equal to hook him up with a revised letter. Only one word has to be changed. Sea School does not need MMC (I did not apply for my original until after attending), only service letter.

If he can deal with being underpaid and working on junk, have him call Kevin Gros Offshore. They’ll hire anyone, experienced or not. Once he gets the 120 12 hour days required for QMED and has his assessments signed off, he’ll be more marketable to a more favorable employer.

Or call Turdwater as well!

All the smaller companies is a good place to start. Once you get some documents and time you will be marketable.

Where do you get 120 12 hr days? And btw Sea School counts for 90.

QMED SERVICE REQUIREMENTS (46 CFR 12.15-7)

(a) An applicant for an endorsement as qualified member of the engine department shall furnish the Coast Guard proof of qualification based on six months’ service in a rating at least equal to that of wiper or coal passer.

(2) Training programs other than those classified as a school ship may be substituted for up to one-half of the required service at sea.

Six months equals 180 (8 hour) days. Since 12 hour days count as 1.5 days you only need 120 twelve hour days to get qmed (120 + 60 = 180).

Good info !!!

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;72842]Six months equals 180 (8 hour) days. Since 12 hour days count as 1.5 days you only need 120 twelve hour days to get qmed (120 + 60 = 180).[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget that QMED oilers do not get 12 hour days per 46 USC

[QUOTE=anchorman;72973]Don’t forget that QMED oilers do not get 12 hour days per 46 USC[/QUOTE]

In most cases from what I’ve seen and experienced personally, its best get multiple QMED ratings (i.e. Oiler, Jr Engineer, Electrician etc) If the sea time is written as QMED only, without a rating, the evaluator has granted day and half time due to inability to differentiate which QMED rating the time accounts for.
As far as companies still requiring the QMEDs to work 12 hour days… thats a whole other discussion…

[QUOTE=SoCalSalt;72974]inability to differentiate[/QUOTE]

That pretty much sums it up, but you don’t want to be the one under that assumption when the law is applied, then you have no recourse. That being said, evaluators for the most part do not reference US code. Fact of the matter is Oilers cannot get 1.5 days seatime credit due to the exclusion. It is always worth going through the application process though. Since NMC has caught on as of late, your odds are 50/50 at best.

Yes, but he was talking about the time required to GET his qmed…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;72997]Yes, but he was talking about the time required to GET his qmed…[/QUOTE]

I did read that, the response, and decided to elaborate. Now he has more to consider, and hopefully not blindsided going that route.