QMED Testing

I was speaking to someone today about a possible position. They said to apply I would need to take the QMED test then if I get hired I could then work on the boat and gain my sea time for the 180 days needed to actually get my QMED. I am trying to figure out if this is possible. In the past I thought I was told by the NMC that I would need the qualifying sea time before I would even be allowed to take the test. Is it true that I can test as long as I get the sea time within one year, or am I unable to even test if I don’t have my sea time?

You are correct. You cannot test without the required sea time. I think there might be a bit of miscommunication here. Many companies will employ a person with no engine room experience and no endorsements (ie: wiper) as an oiler. This is not to be confused with the MMD endorsement of QMED-Oiler. It is simply a title given to a guy that works in the engine room under the direct supervision of the Chief Engineer (usually a DDE).

That sea time will count towards a QMED endorsement. So after the required amount of time as a wiper serving the capacity of an oiler (title only), you will then be eligible to test for your QMED.

I hope that made sense.

1 Like

[QUOTE=wakefootin;101329]I was speaking to someone today about a possible position. They said to apply I would need to take the QMED test then if I get hired I could then work on the boat and gain my sea time for the 180 days needed to actually get my QMED. I am trying to figure out if this is possible. In the past I thought I was told by the NMC that I would need the qualifying sea time before I would even be allowed to take the test. Is it true that I can test as long as I get the sea time within one year, or am I unable to even test if I don’t have my sea time?[/QUOTE]

Which company running what kind of boats would actually ask you to take a QMED exam at a USCG REC with NO sea-time???

How can you even be approved to test without the time?

[QUOTE=wakefootin;101329]I was speaking to someone today about a possible position. They said to apply I would need to take the QMED test then if I get hired I could then work on the boat and gain my sea time for the 180 days needed to actually get my QMED. I am trying to figure out if this is possible. In the past I thought I was told by the NMC that I would need the qualifying sea time before I would even be allowed to take the test. Is it true that I can test as long as I get the sea time within one year, or am I unable to even test if I don’t have my sea time?[/QUOTE]

You can’t test at an REC until you have the sea time.

But, you can take an approved course that will substitute for the Coast Guard exam up to one year before you are approved by NMC. However, there aren’t may QMED courses available, and they might be long and/or expensive. That doesn’t sound like a particularly reasonable demand, ubnless they are willing to pay for your course and expenses.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;109330]You can’t test at an REC until you have the sea time.

But, you can take an approved course that will substitute for the Coast Guard exam up to one year before you are approved by NMC. However, there aren’t may QMED courses available, and they might be long and/or expensive. That doesn’t sound like a particularly reasonable demand, ubnless they are willing to pay for your course and expenses.[/QUOTE]

The ones at MAMA here in VA take a month and cost around 4k. Most of the people who took those were between hitches or were ex-military paying with the GI Bill.