Wiper time

Hey guys I have a question about getting wiper time. I’m not sure if anyone could even answer it but here it goes…

I have a basic MMC with wiper credential. I work for a Condition Monitoring company doing vibration/infrared surveys on ships/tugs ranging from 4,000HP to 140,000HP steam ships. So I work closely with the Engineers switching and lining up pumps and have been doing so for 5 years.

An engineer on my last job thought the Coast Guard would give me sea time for the days I work on ships. What do you think? Worth a call to CG? If its doable then I’d go straight to a QMED course with this sea time. Thanks!

I am sure that others will be here shortly but IMO the answer is NO.

You would need to get a letter of sea service from each vessel signed by the Master. I believe the forms are on the NMC website. After going through all that you would send it in to the CG. Now will they give you any credit toward an upgrade I doubt it but it’s a crapshoot dealing with them anyways.

It won’t count for anything, actuall qualifing seatime is supposed to be just that, time underway while at sea. You also have to a crew member of the vessel to actaully get the sea time.

This is For Qualified Ratings, you must submit proof of required service based on days you worked at sea while underway. A day is defined as eight hours of watchstanding or day work, not to include overtime. On commercial vessels where a twelve-hour workday is authorized and practiced, such as on a six-on, six-off watch schedule, each workday may be considered for one and one-half days of service credit. Required sea service is specified in months or years, which are then converted to days, i.e., one year means 360 days and one month is 30 days. You may document required service in various forms, including original certificates of discharge and/or official documents from marine companies on original company letterhead signed by authorized officials. Your original proof of service MUST INCLUDE the following information about the amount and nature of your experience:
1.Name and documentation/official number of each vessel on which the service was obtained
2.Vessel’s gross tonnage, shaft horsepower and type of propulsion
3.Number of days underway on each vessel including the dates the service was obtained
4.Number of days spent in each type of route (Ocean, Near Coastal, Inland, specific river or lake, etc.)
5.Average number of hours worked per day
6.A brief description of duties or work performed.
NOTE: Title 18 U.S. Code (USC), Section 1001 states that intentionally making false or fraudulent statements or representations in any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States is a Federal crime punishable by a maximum fine of $10,000, 5 years imprisonment, or both. When signing the application and forms to apply for an MMC, you acknowledge awareness of the meaning of the statute in 18 USC 1001. If there is evidence that an application was submitted fraudulently, the application may be denied and the case will be forwarded to the local U.S. Attorney for appropriate action.

This is straight from the NMC home page

One path for 3rd asst years ago read something like 3 years in the machinist trade with 1 yr sea time with 6 months as a QMED.

I sailed with a guy years ago that was an EMD mechanic for years. It took him a year and a half to accumlate seatime as wiper and oiler to sit for his 3rd.

injunear I found it in 46 cfr the info you are speaking of, it does say that some credit can be given, for time in a trade or school. It is on a partial credit basis, I guess it would depend on how the time was writen up, and a good prayer if it would count.

If you look at the info on NMC’s website it is clearly a no answer, if you read 46 cfr chapter 11. something or other, it is maybe.

It never hurts to try and see if they will accept it, what is the worst they can say NO?

I found it:

(2) Three years of service as an apprentice to the machinist trade engaged in the construction or repair of marine, locomotive, or stationary engines, together with one year service in the engineroom as oiler, watertender, or junior engineer;

I think it would be worth a shot for oiler if his time and job description can be documented. But the evaluator would have to be a benevolent guy like me. lol!

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;87961]injunear I found it in 46 cfr the info you are speaking of, it does say that some credit can be given, for time in a trade or school. It is on a partial credit basis, I guess it would depend on how the time was writen up, and a good prayer if it would count.

If you look at the info on NMC’s website it is clearly a no answer, if you read 46 cfr chapter 11. something or other, it is maybe.

It never hurts to try and see if they will accept it, what is the worst they can say NO?[/QUOTE]

I thnk you are referring to 46 CFR 11.211(b) which allows for time as a port engineer or similar to count for a raise of grae of a license, and/or 46 CFR 11.211(e) whicj allows for a case by case acceptance of time “in a mariner related area.” But, Part 11 is for licenses only, it wouldn’t apply to QMED. There’s no such counterpart in Part 12 for QMED. Per 46 CFR 12.15-7, for QMED you need to either have “six months service in a rating at least equal to that of wiper or coal passer” or be graduate of a “school ship.” Coast Guard approved training (other than a school ship) can substitute for up to half of the six month service. “Service” is likely to be interpreted as sea service while engaged as a crewmember on the vessel.

[QUOTE=injunear;87988]I found it:

(2) Three years of service as an apprentice to the machinist trade engaged in the construction or repair of marine, locomotive, or stationary engines, together with one year service in the engineroom as oiler, watertender, or junior engineer;

I think it would be worth a shot for oiler if his time and job description can be documented. But the evaluator would have to be a benevolent guy like me. lol![/QUOTE]

It would be helpful to cite the actual regulation you are quoting from for the benefit of those who are not intimately familiar with 46 CFR Parts 10 through 15. In this case, you quoted from 46 CFR 11.516 which applies to Third Assistant Engineer ONLY. It doesn’t apply to QMED.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;87999]I thnk you are referring to 46 CFR 11.211(b) which allows for time as a port engineer or similar to count for a raise of grae of a license, and/or 46 CFR 11.211(e) whicj allows for a case by case acceptance of time “in a mariner related area.” But, Part 11 is for licenses only, it wouyldn’t apply to QMED. There’s no such counterpart in Part 12 for QMED. Per 46 CFR 12.15-7, for QMED you need to either have “six months service in a rating at least equal to that of wiper or coal passer” or be graduate of a “school ship.” Coast Guard approved training (other than a school ship) can substitute for up to half of the six month service.[/QUOTE]

If the OP held an entry level MMC and could document his time at sea, even if he was not part of the ship’s crew, would he be given credit towards his oiler ticket?

Thanks for all the response guys. Somewhat confusing/ conflicting info on NMC website. I just want to know if my documented work time at this company while aboard ships would count towards Wiper time.