Military Sealift Command hiring questions

Sirs,

I am at a point in my life where I want a career change. I feel like I am getting by, but not going anywhere if that makes sense. I worked for MSC as a wiper from 1988 to 1989 (yeah, I know) and I’m interested in returning to the Engineering Department. I have attempted to get a record of my “sea time” but was advised that records that old are sent to National Archives and Records. I was further advised that there would only be a record of my federal employment as when the records reach them, they are subsequently purged. I would be receiving the standard SF-50 record of FederalEmployment. So there went my chances utilizing my 180 days of seatime to potentially qualify for a QMED endorsement. Plus the sea timewould have to be evaluated by the USCG and I think it needs to bewithin 5 years.

So my plan is to get the MMD endorsement of Wiper and start there. I have a current passport and I’m awaiting the arrival of my TWIC card.I should have no issues with the background check as I am prior military and currently in law enforcement. I am in good shape medically and should have no issues with the med exam.

I am a Gulf War Veteran and qualify for the 10 point veterans preference if hired. I have extensive electrical training on many of the Army helicopters and feel once I obtained the required sea time and passed the USCG electricians exam, I may be able to pursue a career as a ships electrician.

My wife is good with me being gone, hell, I think she looks forward to it!!! The TWIC application has been submitted, I have a current passport, and will be getting a MMD rating of Wiper soon. All I need is the wiper position to open. Any insight into any wiper openings would be helpful too.

My question is if given the job offering of wiper, what is the process from accepting the offer to telling my family and cop buddies good-by. Also, how long is the time frame I will be away from my current job during the application process. I have leave saved up but if anyone could shed some light on this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh, and I am aware if I would have kept working with MSC, I would be Chief Engineer by now, no wait, I could have retired!!! hahaha.

Thanks for your time,

Madvac

I noticed when I copied and pasted this post, several of the spaces between words left out.

Sorry about that

Madvac

Madvac-

check out sealiftcommand.com- there is a hiring timeline and a page that explains how to present KSA- I too am looking into being hired when I complete school

Horatio

Horatio,

Checked it out and thank you for the info. I was wondering if I would be gone a day, 2 days, a week???
Just wondering,

Thanks

You should stay a cop. Good retirement and you’re home at night.

Its with a local Sheriffs office in Louisiana and the retirement isn’t that good but I am home at night.

The Deputy position here is an “At Will” appointment. That is, if i say the wrong thing to the wrong person, I’m done. The best part is no one knows who “that person” could be and I deal with a lot. A job, yes, Job security, kinda…

Just considering a career change. Years of year of dealing with knuckleheads gets old.

“Dr. Phil-ing” my way through bad marriages and poor parenting wears me out.

Im just kicking the idea around.

Thanks though for your reply

Madvac, Thanks for your service, both military and civil. You don’t have to be away from home at all during the application process for MSC, its all done on line. Once you get an offer of employment, then you’ll be gone for quite a while. You’ll have to go to the new employee orientation (NEO), and some schools like basic firefighting. then you’ll sit in the pool for new hires for an undetermined length of time. Could be days, weeks or months. You’ll collect base pay, per diem and drink too much. Right now they are hiring O/S’s. Apply for that then go from there. good luck.

Seadog6608 ,

You are quite welcome and I appreciate your gratitude, seriously.
Thank again you for the prompt reply and answer to my questions.

I just checked the OS position and I’m a little confused as to the “Advancement Program” aspect.

"NOTE: Participants must also possess one of the Three Additional Qualifications:

USCG certified Basic Safety Training certificate within 5 years of expiration to include: Basic Firefighting Personal Safety and Social Responsibility

First Aid Personal Survival Or Education:
Successful completion of full time study in navigation, seamanship, and/or other maritime studies in an accredited Maritime School

Or Endorsement: Possess one of the following endorsements: Able Seaman (OSV), Able Seaman (FISH), or Able Seaman (SAIL)"

Unfortunately I posses none of those qualifications.
I am interested in the Engine room and ultimately would like to become a ships electrician.

Time is on my side as I am no hurry.

Thanks again.

Why not try and get on with an OSV company since you live in Louisiana? You’re home more often and the pay is generally better from what I’ve heard.

I know you greenhorn OS/Wiper makes about $150-$180 a day and AB’s and Qmeds are making $250 -$300 a day on OSV’s.

[QUOTE=Madvac;56144]Seadog6608 ,

You are quite welcome and I appreciate your gratitude, seriously.
Thank again you for the prompt reply and answer to my questions.

I just checked the OS position and I’m a little confused as to the “Advancement Program” aspect.

"NOTE: Participants must also possess one of the Three Additional Qualifications:

USCG certified Basic Safety Training certificate within 5 years of expiration to include: Basic Firefighting Personal Safety and Social Responsibility

First Aid Personal Survival Or Education:
Successful completion of full time study in navigation, seamanship, and/or other maritime studies in an accredited Maritime School

Or Endorsement: Possess one of the following endorsements: Able Seaman (OSV), Able Seaman (FISH), or Able Seaman (SAIL)"

Unfortunately I posses none of those qualifications.
I am interested in the Engine room and ultimately would like to become a ships electrician.

Time is on my side as I am no hurry.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

One of the 3, go to BST. Basic Safety Training is 5 days long and is pretty affordable.

im gonna apply for the OS advancement program…i to would like to work in the engine room later down the road…

Thanks to everyone for responding.

Jemplayer I appreciate the advice regarding a working with local OSVs and will certainly check into it.

Jefrox and Horiato I have located a USCG accepted STCW BST (with all the acronyms it like being back in the Army) in Houma, Louisiana. The
price is $489 for the course and hotels in the area are cheap. Only 2.5 hours from my house. Gonna knock that out in the beginning of December

Good luck Mike23

Definitely go for that BST class. That will make the bean counter who looks at your app at MSC check off one more box. Once you are hired, and believe me, your service time is a big plus towards getting hired, do everything you can while aboard to let it be known that you want to get down below. Some of those Chief engineers got some serious pull! Good luck, brother.

[QUOTE=Madvac;56172]Thanks to everyone for responding.

Jemplayer I appreciate the advice regarding a working with local OSVs and will certainly check into it.

Jefrox and Horiato I have located a USCG accepted STCW BST (with all the acronyms it like being back in the Army) in Houma, Louisiana. The
price is $489 for the course and hotels in the area are cheap. Only 2.5 hours from my house. Gonna knock that out in the beginning of December

Good luck Mike23[/QUOTE]

thanks OP i start my bst on the 24th

I have a question I just got this on the mail from Sealift Command.

Thank You for your interest in seagoing employment with Military Sealift Command. Your Application Application Package for Announcement# which was for the Yeoman Storekeeper has been forwarded to Military Sealift Fleet Support Command Marine Employment Division. Please be advised no decisions have been made regarding selections at this time.

The only question that I have for you guys is what is the next step after this?

[QUOTE=Mr.International973;57364]I have a question I just got this on the mail from Sealift Command.

Thank You for your interest in seagoing employment with Military Sealift Command. Your Application Application Package for Announcement# which was for the Yeoman Storekeeper has been forwarded to Military Sealift Fleet Support Command Marine Employment Division. Please be advised no decisions have been made regarding selections at this time.

The only question that I have for you guys is what is the next step after this?[/QUOTE]

Only The One with divine powers knows how long you’ll wait for the next communique’. You’ll either be informed that you’re being hired OR be informed that you’re not. If hired, there will be details about getting the physical and some background paperwork to fill-out etc etc. You’ll be coordinating with them by phone and email.
You might like this: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/MSCdelivers

Well I just received my MMC in the mail with the rating of Ordinary Seaman Wiper and Stewards Department. I now have my TWIC, MMC as well as current passport. All that took approximately one month. I am scheduled to attend BST STCW school from the 5th to the 9th of December in Morgan City, Louisiana at Youngs Memorial. Now its up to MSC haha!!

[QUOTE=Madvac;57394]Well I just received my MMC in the mail with the rating of Ordinary Seaman Wiper and Stewards Department. I now have my TWIC, MMC as well as current passport. All that took approximately one month. I am scheduled to attend BST STCW school from the 5th to the 9th of December in Morgan City, Louisiana at Youngs Memorial. Now its up to MSC haha!![/QUOTE]

What position are you applying for?

Im waiting for the Wiper position to open up.

[QUOTE=Madvac;57442]Im waiting for the Wiper position to open up.[/QUOTE]

When is the Wiper position opening up?