Sea time

I guess this is directed to Mr Cavo. How much seatime will the USCG give me for my AB Unlimited to go towards a QMED endorsement?

Your seatime for QMED (180 days) must be for ‘service in the engine department.’ Your seatime letter must document that.

Your HR person MUST write the letter saying this, or no luck.

What type vessel and what HP have you worked on? That makes a difference too. You can get more of the QMED exams with time on ‘over 4000HP.’

Cappy is right if your sea service letter is as an AB they won’t give you any of that time towards your QMED. The letter must say wiper!! Talk to your office.

Good luck!!

Thanks guys, I was told by Houston marine that the CG would give me a certain % of my AB time to go towards a QMED endorsement. I really need to do something quick…even if it’s wrong. I been in touch with C-MAR America and every job thats become available has been filled in House.

[QUOTE=captblighe;56417] told by Houston marine that the CG would give me a certain % of my AB time to go towards a QMED endorsement.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so. They will take ALL your seatime to account towards time on a vessel, but when starting the change from deck to engine room, you MUST meet the 180 days in ER service. its only six months.

What type vessels? and what HP?

I just looked up the cfr and it says “six months as wiper or coal passer” with no provision for using deck time towards that rating. I would quote the exact reference but I am on my phone…