Hey Ya'll, I am new the forum

Hey everybody, my name is Jaime and I am about to retire from the Navy after 25 years of submarine service and am looking forward to starting the next chapter of my life in the Marine industry.

I have been lurking on this forum for a few months and decided it is time to register and jump in. I am a machinist mate and so far have attended BST course and submitted my application to the NMC for QMED Oiler in September. So far, it is past the medical part and has been “waiting to be assigned an evaluator” since 18 November. I am glad that I started this entire process early because it sure does take a long time!

My ultimate goal is to qualify and serve as a Chief Engineer. I don’t want to serve on a vessel that sails across the “big” ocean, I would rather stay close to land. Right now, I am hoping to get hired on as a QMED oiler onboard an OSV in the Gulf of Mexico and start building up my recency seeing as how I am retiring after 3 years of shore duty.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Recent Retired Marine here of 22 years and all I can tell you is patience and don’t get caught listening to sea lawyers as to what you should and should not do. The only way is to make sure you see it in writing and go from there. There are a lot of people out that will steer ya wrong because they feel threatened because they think ya here to take their job. At least that’s what I have experienced in my year and some change here already.

Good luck!

You just need to call the NMC with your application number etc handy and express concern that it hasn’t been assigned to an evaluator; if they say its normal and to be patient then that maybe understandable with thanksgiving. That’s all you can do at this point I’d say. Phone has worked better than email for me.

[QUOTE=z-drive;125934]You just need to call the NMC with your application number etc handy and express concern that it hasn’t been assigned to an evaluator; if they say its normal and to be patient then that maybe understandable with thanksgiving. That’s all you can do at this point I’d say. Phone has worked better than email for me.[/QUOTE]

That is true, I have been consumed with watching the calender that I missed the effect of a major holiday with a Loooong weekend.

I will give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

After waiting only a week to be assigned an evaluator (around thanksgiving) I called just to see what was up. I was told a week to 10 days, the next day I was assigned. Coincidence? Maybe…

I will assume that with 25 years of service you are at least a senior chief with at least 12 years of seatime. If you’re a nuke MM, you’re qualified as EWS and maybe even as EOOW. In any case, with 12 years of seatime the NMC should give you enough credit to sit for your 3rd A/E steam license right away. Then you could take a crossover class to get the 3rd motor endorsement. That would be the quickest way.

My recommendation however would be to get your oiler, work for 240 days (which would give you 360 days of seatime because you’d be working 12 hr days in the GOM) THEN apply for your 3rd A/E -motor. This would give you experience on the boats prior to you being assigned as an officer.

I was a nuke MM and how they do things on the commercial side is way different than the Navy. Working as an oiler will ease you into it. Just realize as an oiler you are the low man on the totum pole in the engine room so be prepared to clean and paint.

[QUOTE=Hawespiper;125946]I will assume that with 25 years of service you are at least a senior chief with at least 12 years of seatime. If you’re a nuke MM, you’re qualified as EWS and maybe even as EOOW. In any case, with 12 years of seatime the NMC should give you enough credit to sit for your 3rd A/E steam license right away. Then you could take a crossover class to get the 3rd motor endorsement. That would be the quickest way.

My recommendation however would be to get your oiler, work for 240 days (which would give you 360 days of seatime because you’d be working 12 hr days in the GOM) THEN apply for your 3rd A/E -motor. This would give you experience on the boats prior to you being assigned as an officer.

I was a nuke MM and how they do things on the commercial side is way different than the Navy. Working as an oiler will ease you into it. Just realize as an oiler you are the low man on the totum pole in the engine room so be prepared to clean and paint.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you hit the nail on the head with exception of EOOW.

Great advice, I see the value of working 240 days to “learn the ins and outs” of the job and maritime industry and the new and different equipment.

As far as the cleaning and painting… I will do it with a Big ol’ Texas grin!

Thanks again Hawespiper!

Edit: if you’re A-ganger you probably wouldn’t qualify for the steam license since your watches weren’t in the Steam engine room. But since you guys are in charge of the diesel you might be able to sit for the motor license right away. … just apply for the motor license and see what they say.

I would recommend getting as much license as they say he’s earned. If he can get a third steam or motor you can still apply for oiler jobs if you want and ‘work up.’ It can be hard enough in this industry without purposefully crippling yourself. I’ve worked with lots of QMEDs with thirds licenses who didn’t want to sail as officers. They were great QMEDs and the companies doing the hiring look at it as getting more for their money.

Actually, that would be the wiper doing most of that. Of course that depends on where u work and if u have a union contract. For example, If I do general cleaning as a junior, I get penalty pay. So OP would be doing some cleaning but more likely in way of maintenance tasks that he’ll be assigned.

OP, you should read the Marine Safety Manual for info on how much and what kind of time qualifies for what ratings and licenses. It does address time on submarines.

I just learned that I can apply for my steam license, which will end up with a HP limitation- but- I’ll do it anyway because why not.

[QUOTE=“catherder;125984”]

Actually, that would be the wiper doing most of that. Of course that depends on where u work and if u have a union contract. For example, If I do general cleaning as a junior, I get penalty pay. So OP would be doing some cleaning but more likely in way of maintenance tasks that he’ll be assigned.

[/QUOTE]

No boats I worked on in the gulf had wipers. That was my shock when I got down there. I thought because I had gotten some QMED ratings that I wouldn’t be entry level. … wrong answer.

[QUOTE=“catherder;125986”]

I just learned that I can apply for my steam license, which will end up with a HP limitation- but- I’ll do it anyway because why not.[/QUOTE]

Because once you get a horsepower limitation it can be a pain in the ass to get rid of it.

[QUOTE=Hawespiper;126017]Because once you get a horsepower limitation it can be a pain in the ass to get rid of it.[/QUOTE]
Not sure how it is now but in the last century, if you sat for a license over 4K horsepower, you took the Unlimited test. You then had to show a year over 4K to remove the limitation.

[QUOTE=Hawespiper;126016]No boats I worked on in the gulf had wipers. That was my shock when I got down there. I thought because I had gotten some QMED ratings that I wouldn’t be entry level. … wrong answer.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that’s enlightening. I did not know that.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=injunear;126022]Not sure how it is now but in the last century, if you sat for a license over 4K horsepower, you took the Unlimited test. You then had to show a year over 4K to remove the limitation.[/QUOTE]

My steam time is all over 4k, but my motor time is all under 4k

What a deal.