Help?

So right now i in the process of being licensed by the relevant Jamaican (IMO WHITE LISTED) authorities. But in a couple of Years i am planning on migrating to the United States as i am marrying a US citizen. How would it be possible for me to work on US flagged vessels? Would i need to train again? Or can i apply for maybe certificate of equivalent competency? Are there any other routes to take? Awaiting your advice as seasoned seafarers. Thanks

I sailed with a guy from India that was a Chief Mate Unlimited oceans and worked as such. When he immigrated to the USA and after getting his “green card” the USCG documented him as AB Unlimit and he started from there…

seems like a long process to move up the rank given time already spent trying to advance

[I][quote=darren123;25948]So right now i in the process of being licensed by the relevant Jamaican (IMO WHITE LISTED) authorities. But in a couple of Years i am planning on migrating to the United States as i am marrying a US citizen. How would it be possible for me to work on US flagged vessels? Would i need to train again? Or can i apply for maybe certificate of equivalent competency? Are there any other routes to take? Awaiting your advice as seasoned seafarers. Thanks[/quote][/I]

The United States does not endorse STCW certificates issued by other countries, and currently does not accept training conducted outside of the United States that was not approved by the U.S. Coast Guard. Your sea service would be acceptable, but not the training. While you may not be able to obtain a U.S. issued STCW certificate that corresponds to your present level, you may be able to obtain a license that would allow you to work where STCW is not required.

another option may be to work shoreside initially with a US company operating in the area where you have your expertise, ie Carribbean Sea. after securing shoreside employment you could take the steps to get sailing again, perhaps with the financial backing of your new employer.
good luck.