Help me pack for the Bering Sea

Aloha-

I have to be on a bus to Seattle in 48 hours- Will be in the Bering Sea for 75 days on a processor.

Never been that far North- looking for some last minute gear advice.

Just learned I’ll be working on the stern handling the codends/gear- as opposed to the bridge- where I was initially going to be.

I’m supposed to bring 8 days of gear as laundry is once a week.

I’m mainly wondering how much should be cold/wet weather gear? And how much should be “regular” clothes?

So far I have packed-

Bags-duffel bag and backpack- both with waterproof liners.

2 Surefire G2 flashlights, Petzl headlamp- extra batteries.

Benchmade folding knife- and couple of extras as backup.

Razors, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.

Cash

Cell phone. I know- won’t work.

2 Alarm clocks and batteries.

MP3 player- batteries.

Licenses/papers/passport, etc- in waterproof bag.

Pillow.

1 cap, 2 beanies.

2 towels/washcloths.

3 sets polypro long underwear.

Couple of sweters/sweatshirts

1 coat

8 each- pants, tshirts,

12 pair socks

2 sets raingear- one is military (2 piece) one is WalMart. I live in Colorado so that’s all I could find on my budget- they sell Grundens on the ship. I’ll buy some.

Steel toe boots- can/will buy “Extra Tuf” on the ship.

Couple of books/notebook/pens.

I need to buy some gloves- any recommendations? (that I can get in Colorado)

Any other advice?

Anything to lose/get?

Thanks-Anthony:)

How about a pair of sunglasses (with lanyard)? Spare glasses/contacts if you require them. Maybe a multi-tool, a length of paracord, some duct tape & small sewing kit for quick repairs to your gear.

Pack condoms.

Capt A - You forgot to mention some good water soluble lubricant. That will make “things go easier”.

Good luck Anthony - Safe Sailing…

For rigging I only ware cotton black dot gloves, don’t know about the processor, but offshore the company sends them out to the boat when ordered. You can find them but the 12 pack for like $15 at most hardware stores. The only place I know were leather is mandatory is when welding.

Reason for the cotton gloves and not leather is that if the glove gets pinched in the rigging it has a better chance of tearing then leather before you are in a bad spot. Little tip, in cold wet weather, put a pair of latex gloves on underneath to keep your hands warm and dry.

No laptop? Not just good for the internet, i use mine to play movies alot at work.

Guessing the Extra Tough are rubber boots? Make sure they are shrimper white, you are on a fishing boat. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would pack a few extra sets of cloths and put a set in your backpack that you take with you on watch. Reason being that you might get soaked or what ever and need to change in the middle of your watch, just in case.

I second the sunglasses. You plan to be on the water for years to come dealing with the glare. Star protecting your eyes now, just like your hearing.

Digital camera

Thanks everyone! Many good suggestions.

Glasses are a good idea- my biggest fear is losing mine. I have a repair kit and an old pair. I’ll buy several extra pair when I get back/can afford it.

Captain A/Captain Brian- lmao (you guys just got me in A LOT of trouble with a certain young lady on this forum:o)

Camera- I’ve heard that most fish processors don’t allow them (at least in the factory)

Duct tape and paracord-so many uses! Good for everything from fixing gear to quieting chatty bosuns;)

Yep- Extra Tuf are rubber boots- everyone seems to think highly of them. (Pricey though)

Thanks again-Anthony

Anthony, what’s the deal with the change of duties at the last minute?

I got a call today from the recruiter (nice lady:))

One of the AB’s decided to extend their rotation.

I’m happy to be working- and I’m sure I’ll learn a lot working gear- but I have ZERO experience with fishing.

The curious thing is that they initially told me they wanted me on the bridge as i had no fishing experience an “wasn’t a good fit” for working the codends.:confused:

Oh well- I work hard- and am a quick learner:)

I just hope it’s not like “Deadliest Catch” back on the stern:D

[quote=Ordinaryseaman;13137]I got a call today from the recruiter (nice lady:))

One of the AB’s decided to extend their rotation.

I’m happy to be working- and I’m sure I’ll learn a lot working gear- but I have ZERO experience with fishing.

The curious thing is that they initially told me they wanted me on the bridge as i had no fishing experience an “wasn’t a good fit” for working the codends.:confused:

Oh well- I work hard- and am a quick learner:)

I just hope it’s not like “Deadliest Catch” back on the stern:D[/quote]

I hope it’s not like that too…It sounds like a plausible story, but things change all the time…Just play it by ear…

I work on a spill response vessel and several of the crew are ex fisherman from large ships, like the one you are going to…They tell me all the time how the gear and rigging is very similar…So don’t think of it as only fishing…

Remember what Anchorman has always says…Be the hardest working guy on the boat…He;s right, good things will follow…

Thanks- I see it as opportunity- and my knot tying will surely improve. I should have enough seatime to get my AB Special (as opposed to OSV) at the end of the hitch.

Plus- I get PAID to be on a ship in Alaska:D

“Be the hardest working person there” Mr. Anchorman sounds like a smart guy.

I’ve been told again and again by Captains, Mates, etc. that this is one of the biggest problems they face with people my age and younger- they don’t want to work.

Some of the entry level guys have resented my initiative and work ethic- but the quickest way to get ahead in life (in any field) is to constantly give more service, better service, and have a better attitude than anyone else.
:slight_smile:

Boot bands! Large rubber bands OVER your oilers at ankle height, keeps waves from sloshing up your leg and into your boots. Also when properly adjusted reduces friction on your knees and makes you a little more nimble and less tired (pull your oil pants up a couple of inches to make 'em baggy).
It’s an East coast thing, don’t understand why left coasties don’t use it. I carried a box of 'em out there and passed 'em out but the guys didn’t like 'em. An elastic belt OVER your oil jacket helps with the same problem and is a good place to secure your Victorinox knife. You don’t want a folding knife in your jeans pocket when you need it NOW.
Remember…cotton kills, get wool and fleece.
If it’s a processor there’s most likely a ships store, everything will be real expensive but selected for the environment.

What company?

You’re going to a boat on the Bering Sea. The Deadliest Catch is about boats on the Bering Sea. Why do you think it’ll be much different?

Good luck, hold fast and remember, when you pull hard it comes easy.

Seadog- good advice-thanks!

Premier Pacific Seafoods/SS Ocean Phoenix.

Yep- I know it’s the Bering Sea- but less hours per day. More freeboard? Get slightly less wet?

I need a fixed blade knife.

Anyone know where I can get a Victorinox in downtown Seattle? Or a copy of the Merchant Seaman’s manual? (Mine was stolen)

Yep- they have a store- probably pricey- but can’t afford much now. They take purchases off your check- so if I see something I want need- i can get it from there.

Ocean Phoenix has a reputation as a highliner, a real fish finder. You should make good money. Queer looking sled and god-awful big. Daily production can be over a million pounds up the ramp each day.

Seattle Marine and Fishing Supply Co.(SEAMAR), nearby and will make you drool over their selection.

Form a guy who was on the boat for a bunch of months on Pollock A-B and Hake.

Get the grundens on shore. The ship’s store may sell out to all the slimmers who forgot their set. then youll be without.
Get one of those terrorist snowmobile masks that covers your kneck n head like a big condom. The only thing poking out will be your two eyes. Get polyester.

Speaking of condoms… take some. There are lots of hot girls on that boat. Just remember two things>

1. Go ugly early
  2. Up there theyre all tens

get a personal strobe to attach to your MUSTANG SUIT along with your own Icom water proof vhf set to ch16. This is your insurance policy when you fall overboard doing a LB dill. And im not talking about the immersion suit. Thats a completly diffrent set of problems. When it gets really cold youll wish you had a mustang suit (USCG Type V Work Coverall) one like the Bosun wears when driving the skiff around. Probably dont have to worry about whiteouts too often in the summer but ya may want to bring a pair of ski goggles with light yellow linse so you can see and do your job in 60 knot blowing snow. but its summer B season so maybe over kill.

Make sure your ExTra Tuff boots are sized with your three pair wool socks on in the store. Loose boots make for warm toes. Tight boots will give you blisters AND frostbite. Yup, loose boots and tight pussy…

Bering Bob now Fourchon Bob

Anthony, I wish I had thought of this sooner…

Down load NVIC 14/02 and take the assestments sheets, with you…Also take a quality note book to record any bridge or lookout watches that you may be able to stand…Talk with Capt and see if you can stand some watches…Document the watch 0400-0800 or the 2000-2400 on each line include the ships name , tonnage,and have the Capt or mate sign it along with their printed name and their license number…This will go towards your RFPNW…If you end up on the bridge later you could get a lot of this behind you…

oh ya, bring tarter sauce…:smiley:

Good idea-thanks. Printing them…now!

I’m planning on volunteering, every day, after shift. Hopefully I’ll get at least a little bridge and helm time:D

Then again- I’ll be the soaking wet new guy that smells like fish;)

I always volunteer for extra work.

For the first few days my crewmates think I’m gung ho, then they think I’m brown nosing, but usually by the end of the first week they realize I’m serious.

Usually a captain or mate takes me under their wing and starts teaching me…:slight_smile:

[quote=Ordinaryseaman;13190]Good idea-thanks. Printing them…now!

I’m planning on volunteering, every day, after shift. Hopefully I’ll get at least a little bridge and helm time:D

Then again- I’ll be the soaking wet new guy that smells like fish;)

I always volunteer for extra work.

For the first few days my crewmates think I’m gung ho, then they think I’m brown nosing, but usually by the end of the first week they realize I’m serious.

Usually a captain or mate takes me under their wing and starts teaching me…:)[/quote]

You’ve been there before so no need for me to warn to get some rest at least…Working the fantail like that your gonna,you need to be safe, and that means alert…

Hopefully they will see your interest and help you out…I wish I could have sent you some of my sign off watch sheets but the assestments will be very valuable to you later…Get them all done there if you can…

I’m looking at my book now…You need to make sure and get the date, the watch (time) even if you only stand 2 or 3 hours of a watch make sure it gets signed of for the whole watch…like if it’s the 1200-1600 and you get on watch at 12;30 and leave at 1530 get it for the whole period…The CG says these are 4 hour watches but the minimum time is 2 hours…Don’t know why,just go with it…The ships id number as well…But the two most important are the Capts signature and his license number…

In case he doesn;t know what it is your talking about and for some reason doesn’t want to sign it…You can show him NVIC14/02 and put him to ease…I’ve ran across this already and people don’t feel comfy at first when they sign this stuff…

I kind of had to laugh at fourchon Bob…" go ugly early"…he may be right you know…:smiley:
Send an e mail when you can…good luck my friend…

Bob- didn’t see your post- sorry:o

I agree with you on buying gear shoreside- unfortunately- can’t afford it (wish I could)

I know the store will likely be way overpriced- but I’m glad to have the option.

I got this gig literally in the nick of time- haven’t worked for 9 months.

If the gig somehow disappears- well… it’s a long walk back to Colorado;) (No money for return bus)

“When it gets really cold youll wish you had a mustang suit (USCG Type V Work Coverall) one like the Bosun wears when driving the skiff around”

I know- I wore one last year everytime I drove our lifeboat (Zodiac) had lots of fun- I especially remember Haines Alaska and Pasco Washington:D

As far as the condoms-

I have to OFFICIALLY thank G-captain- because-drumroll please-

I met a beautiful, intelligent, young lady on here:D

So- no condoms needed/wanted! (on the ship)

Shellback-thanks again- I have the sign off sheets- but can’t find the USCG clarifications to show the captain/ OICNW.

Anyone know of a link?

I thought the NVIC might be enough…There is a 13 page booklet for assesors and their responsibilities…I know I saw it on their page…Tell ya what, I’ll go digging and PM you with it or you me, if you find it…catch you in a bit…