Essential Gear?

I’m going out on a K Sea vessel in a few weeks for a month or so (cadeting)…
Any recommendations on stuff to bring? Specifically weather gear? I’m supposed to go out with one of the east coast divisions(N’folk, Atlantic, or NY)…
I have gortex from when I was in th Navy… (pants and jacket)… thinking boots, good brands for wet/cold, gloves etc???
Not sure if its gonna be an atb, harbor tug, I should know in a week or two… hopefully.

thanks in advance…

KSEA [U][B]WILL [/B][/U]require you to have at least steel-toed boots. Gore-tex will keep you warm but won’t keep you afloat, while they will provide flotation; if you own a float coat bring it. Atlas Thermafit gloves at least but if yer tanking yer gonna want waterproof gloves and boots. NY Harbor in the winter SUCKS, layer up and you’ll be fine.

Go here for a good gear checklist:

Retired BMC and former Mate tugs TAURUS, FALCON, BALTIC SEA & NORTH SEA sends

WARM CLOTHES! May sound redundant, but you are about to enter a topsy turvy world. You will be in the wheelhouse or engine room for a while, then out on deck either docking, sailing (deck); or bunkering, loading stores (ER). And you can’t go ashore for more stuff. So bring WARMth with you. Don’t bring the kitchen sink, as there won’t be enough storage for it on a tug. Most likely you will be top bunk in some AB’s room, fighting for some storage space with the other guys (some there, others at home with a locked locker)
You only need about 5 days of clothes. You can do laundry on all the boats. Just make sure you bring WARM clothes with you. A face protector is a pretty good investment too. llbean
Warm insulated gloves. And bring an extra watch cap. Nothing sucks more watching the hard hat (that just blew off your head) taking your only watch cap with it!

Buy good equipment, don’t be in a rush and pull just anything off the shelves (like I did). Remember, you get what you pay for.

Thank you all thus far… have some good wet weather gear, good water proof, steel cap boots, gloves, 2 plus watchcaps… etc… lotsa thermals…

another inquiry…

On a K-sea tug; should I bring a sleeping bag or linen? Towels?

I’ve only been on large vessels thus far and these things are provided… Not sure how it works in th work boat world…

Thanks again in advance…

The boats should have linen, but… it may not be in such great shape. They will have blankets, pillows and towels. But I bring my own. Do you know which boat? That would be an indication of the type of supplies? Who knows, you may find someone on here who actually is on the vessel!!

Don’t know which yet… its supposed to be one of their east coast boats(ATL, NYC, or Norfolk)… I should know in a week or two… just finished and passed 6 modules of the test, only have cnav tommorrow, then finish my cadet time up…

I’ll post as soon as I know…

It’ll be on the Volunteer out of K-Sea, ATL-division…
Suposed to meet with the ship 'round the 19th… So I have another week of getting stuff together to go…

Its a nice old boat, sort of slow, but hey you won’t be towing anything! The jak system is WAY better than the tow wire :slight_smile:

[I] Carhartt[/I] and [I]Grundens[/I] are the best when it comes to warm comfortable, sturdy wear that will last a while. Pricey compared with others, but worth it compared to others.

If you plan on getting into "on your knees work", especially on steel decks, making/breaking tows, and engine room gratings... my recommendation is the [I]Carhartt [/I]double knee work pants (about $45) with the extra purchase of the strapless knee pads (about $18-20)! They are great for both home and work!  

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten."

I will have to agree with that statement Grundens or Guy cotton is the best for fowl WX gear especialy for durability. xtra tuff boots are the best industry wide for foot wear and they do make steel toed.

Another thing with wearing steel-toes around sub-zero temps, as it very well may be in some areas. If you’re going to be out on deck and not doing a lot of manual labor to stay heated up (ie. lookout on the bow of a barge / ship, maneuvering, standing g’way watch) make sure to double up on socks, or consider getting kevlar toes. Kevlar toes are considered okay for safety shoes for most companies out there, I can’t say that for every company.

Once those steel toes go cold, your feet will be next, and it takes a WHILE to get that steel warm again!

Of course get comfortable inserts too, if you’ll be wearing those boots on the bridge while standing a watch.

I can also vouch for X-Tra Tough boots. Very good boots if you’re working deck.

I also concur that spending more $ for better work gear is worth it. As soon as I have some more income coming in I plan on making some major purchases: Red Wings work boots, Carhartt work clothes etc.

License insurance.